Gunshot detection coming to a PDA near you

PDA

Drizzt
February 24, 2003, 12:07 AM
Gunshot detection coming to a PDA near you

Name that calibre

By Elizabeth Biddlecombe in San Francisco: Friday 21 February 2003, 09:53

A FEW YEARS BACK the vogue was to cite location-based services as the killer application for the wonderful new world of wireless web. As with most marketing messages from 1999 or 2000 little substance emerged to fulfill the hype, largely because of the complexity of the technology.
But now with the help of a New Orleans-based company, you can truly put your smartphone or PDA to good use by using it to ascertain the location of something more interesting than the local restaurant – gunfire. Unless, of course, you happen to live in neighborhoods such as Oakland in California which has the dubious honour of suffering 113 murders in 2002. It's more likely that there and in other war zones around the world, your ears (though hopefully not your eyes) will suffice.

Most likely it won't be you who has access to the information but the local police officer or a soldier in a conflict. Proxity Digital Networks, the company behind the "On Alert" Gunshot Detection System is already preparing for trials with a couple of U.S. law enforcement agencies and the military, who will be able to use it to determine friendly or enemy fire.

At present On Alert is in beta testing. The system consists of acoustic sensors that can hang from power lines and street lighting or be mounted on building exteriors. The sensors are programmed to recognise a particular sound signature. They are connected to a central server via low frequency RF waves which dispatches the information to PDAs and smartphones used by officers in the field or to fixed terminals. The backhaul function will be provided by cellular or fiber optic networks. So far tests have yielded a 3-5 second round trip time.

Billy Robinson, CEO, of Proxity told The Inquirer that depending on the environment you will need one sensor every 400 yards, with each sensor likely to be around $2,500 a pop.

The system will alert you not only to the fact that one or more shots has been fired (telling you the exact number of course). Once Robinson and his colleagues have gone out and fired all the guns in the possession of participating law enforcement agencies ("the funnest part of the whole deal", said Robinson), the system will be able to identify the make and caliber of the gun because of the unique sound print each one possesses. Triangulation will enable pinpointing of the fired gun as well as the bullet's final landing place to within ten feet, is the claim.

And what's more, because of the nature of the sound of the bullet as it whizzes through the air, Robinson explained that the system will also be able to map the trajectory of the bullet.

Thanks to the advances in mobile communication your bobby on the beat will then be able to consult a grid map on their PDA or smartphone so that they can arrive at the scene with all haste. The client application can be used on any mobile device, though currently it is written in C++ for the Pocket PC environment. Ultimately the map will be presented in 3D.

The technology is being developed by Synchros Technologies. The latter originally developed it for a power grid management system but drawing their inspiration from the Sniper shootings that were terrorising Washington DC and Louisiana last October, Robinson and colleagues realised the system could be put to good effect in other ways.

In these days of terror,(largely perpetrated by the US government enjoining everyone to buy duct tape and plastic sheeting of course), we should be glad to have Proxity around. "Protection of railways, ports and borders using the Internet and hardware independent hand-held devices (PDA's) are Proxity's next highest priority after completing test on the current gunshot detection system prototype" reads the press release. "We are rushing it to market."

Robinson said the next project will be to adapt the system for other applications such as listening out for swimmers or boats in water locations, for car crashes or seismic activities. "Almost any event, which has a predictable acoustic, subsonic or ultrasonic signature could be detected and located by the gunshot detection system", he was quoted in the press release as saying.

First though what is expected to be three months of field trials are to be completed. Robinson hopes to announce some customers shortly – Proxity is currently talking to a number of law enforcement agencies in the U.S.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7911

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshot detection coming to a PDA near you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
February 24, 2003, 12:19 AM
"Automatic gunfire bursts at the Taco Bell on Ocean Drive... Stand by... Disregard... The gain on the acoustic sensor there was too high...." :D

Zundfolge
February 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
And what's more, because of the nature of the sound of the bullet as it whizzes through the air, Robinson explained that the system will also be able to map the trajectory of the bullet.

[tinfoil hat on]
So if this thing can "hear" bullets travel can it also hear people's private conversations in their own homes?
[tinfoil hat off]

Redlg155
February 24, 2003, 01:41 AM
And the point is?..

By the time the police get to the sector the shooter will be long gone. Smart criminals will use this device by having someone shoot at the opposite side of the city and do their real crime at the other end. Better yet, just play yo-yo with the police, shooting at random areas just to make the police run around.

I think they will see the fallacy of their plan soon enough.

Good Shooting
RED

Kahr carrier
February 24, 2003, 02:54 AM
2 words BIG BROTHER .:what:

Schuey2002
February 24, 2003, 03:05 AM
I'm with Kahr carrier, on this one...:what: :what:

Weimadog
February 24, 2003, 08:26 AM
Blackhawk "Automatic gunfire bursts at the Taco Bell on Ocean Drive... Stand by... Disregard... The gain on the acoustic sensor there was too high...."

hmmm

early

not awake...

"bursts....... Taco Bell....." ohhhh

HA! HA! HA ! :)

Thank you Blackhawk for a humorous start to my day.

Weimadog

Woodchuck
February 24, 2003, 12:15 PM
If these things are going to be hanging from power lines they will be quite vulnerable. Back when I was a kid, the local utility company was pretty busy replacing street light that the neighborhood kids would shoot out for fun with bb guns and pellet guns. I wonder if they'll armor plate them?
They'll be kind of useless around the 4th. of July.

Schuey2002
February 24, 2003, 03:11 PM
Blackhawk is now at 2000 posts!!!!!:what: :what: :what:

He's on pace to have more than 10,000 by the end of the year! :evil:

chaim
February 24, 2003, 03:38 PM
Once Robinson and his colleagues have gone out and fired all the guns in the possession of participating law enforcement agencies ("the funnest part of the whole deal", said Robinson)... Hmm, anyone else think this may be the entire motivation. Yeah, we got this great idea to help you catch criminals in the act. Only thing, we need to test fire every gun you've got to, hmm, calibrate it. Yeah that's it, calibrate it.

I'd take the job, how many hours at the range with free ammo would that be.

:evil:

gun-fucious
February 24, 2003, 03:57 PM
and what would the "On Alert" system think of a really good THX home theater system with Saving Private Ryan cranked up to 11?

:evil:

Trisha
February 24, 2003, 04:13 PM
(Watching the sheeple bow en-masse to their omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent alphabet-soup God; their paean of "We believe! We believe! Protect us! Protect us!" resonating through the mandatory noon hour of obeisence. . .)

Another money-maker for the parent company, to be sure.

Schumer, Clinton, Boxer, et.al will be clamoring for it ASAP, to be sure.

(((yawn)))

Croyance
February 24, 2003, 04:33 PM
I believe a related story was posted - some city in the Carolinas was going to try it.
Yes, certainly the police will be able to listen to conversations on the street, if they wanted to. Supposedly only the sounds of gunfire are filtered in.

CZ-75
February 24, 2003, 06:17 PM
But can it do windows?

I'm getting a strange urge to extend my right arm at a 45 degree angle.

I REALLY trust assurances that this won't become an eavesdropping system.

ahadams
February 24, 2003, 06:23 PM
I can hardly wait to see what the kids with the glasspack mufflers on their pickups are going to do to this system. Hey after a while the operators of the system should be relatively easy to spot in any police dept...just look for the deaf guys!:D

Elmer Snerd
February 24, 2003, 06:30 PM
Now new guns will have to be sold with 2 fired casings, and a tape (or a floppy with an MP3) of the gun being fired.

I can hear the antis now: "Weeee mmmusst sssssupport Acoustic Fiiinngerprrrinting for the chillllddrrrennnn..."

45R
February 24, 2003, 07:13 PM
:scrutiny: Looks around for the evil eyes and ears :uhoh:

bedlamite
February 24, 2003, 07:29 PM
I wonder how big these sensors are. Do you think they could map the trajectory of a stray bullet on the off chance it was to hit one of these sensors?

Atticus
February 24, 2003, 08:05 PM
That might be a problem in my town. The Local PD has a range in
the station. I used to drop my kids off at the daycare across the street and I would often hear a string of gunshots coming from the PD. At least I THINK they've got a range in there.:)

Archie
February 24, 2003, 09:35 PM
...will need one sensor every 400 yards, with each sensor likely to be around $2,500 a pop.
That's $11,000 per linear mile, by my calculations.

"Hello Taxpayers. In order to more efficiently serve your safety needs, we are going to jack up, I mean, raise, er, enhance...."

It would be cheaper to issue a cell phone with 911 programmed and a Remington 700 PSS in 308 Win every fourth house.

Peter Gun
February 24, 2003, 10:02 PM
Maybe I'm not up on the latest in sound technology, but some of the capabilities of this system sound like pure BS from the companys marketing guys. Could somebody clue me in on how listening devices can tell the trajectory of the bullet beyond "away from" or "towards", which I think could be determined by measuring the doppler effect? How about being able to determine the caliber by the sound? Seems to me that guns of the same caliber would produce different sounds depending on barrel length, action type, compensators, etc. Kinda reminiscent of the Ballistic fingerprinting crap.

Billll
February 24, 2003, 10:29 PM
Something like this called "firefinder" was installed in Bosnia to help deal with the sniper problem there. I saw a piece on it a while back, and the thing could draw a red streak on a 3-d model of the area it was set up in showing the path of sniper rounds fairly accurately. If you have 3 "ears" hearing a sound, and a computer to analyze the timing of the pulses, then you can determine the start, end, and trajectory of the projectile. As to hearing conversations, the gunshot representa a spike a certain frequencies rather than a data stream to be picked out of many competing streams.
Around here, right about now, the woodpeckers are working into mating season, and long bursts on chimny jacks or eaves that resonate well are audible for quite some distance. Hopefully these and other similar noises can be differentiated from gunshots.

AZTOY
February 24, 2003, 10:38 PM
Want will happen if a car drive by with BASS. I seen windows rattly from BASS want will it will do to the sensors!! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunshot detection coming to a PDA near you" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!