"Credit Card" CCW "Shotgun"

PDA

cls12vg30
October 6, 2004, 10:14 AM
Found this on one of the local news sites. Looks pretty dumb and useless to me. Would you want to carry around a black-powder weapon?

http://www.wral.com/news/3786913/detail.html

On a side note, there is a poll on that page regarding nationwide CCW, so hit it up, vote early and vote often.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Credit Card" CCW "Shotgun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shermacman
October 6, 2004, 10:27 AM
Right. I would be in a real hurry to touch off one of these! It would either blow up in your hand; or, if it wasn't powerful enough to take your hand off, it would just spit the pellets out. Maybe the flash and bang would be scarry enough to do the job...

The fact that the presstitutes included a gun control poll next to an article about something as stupid as a 'credit card shot gun' is annoying.

Hit the poll!

Greg L
October 6, 2004, 10:36 AM
The poll is the important thing here:

Do you think concealed weapons should be legal across the United States?
Choice Votes Percentage of 5502 Votes
Yes 3067 56%
No 2435 44%

That said, I think that the reason for BP is that a muzzle loaded BP isn't considered a gun by the ATF (I think, don't call me for bail $ if I'm wrong). Either way, I'll stick with my USP45F.

Greg

Drizzt
October 6, 2004, 11:23 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041006/capt.mp10510060414.credit_card_shotgun_mp105.jpg

OK...... :confused:

Tharg
October 6, 2004, 11:42 AM
ROFL - if someone did carry this - (if nothing else it might allow someone to getaway... if nothing else) what are the bets that someone would forget it in thier pants pocket on thier way to a flight...

could you imagine the news stories?

heh

J/Tharg!

Edit - MSNBC story....

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6190178/

Dave R
October 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
Soooo, that "shotgun" is like, what? A 256ga?

7 BBs, black powder, 3" barrel? Makes my P-3AT look like a cannon.

But the numbers on the poll are looking good!

Mute
October 6, 2004, 11:55 AM
Perhaps it would be good for a distraction if you shoot it into someones face, and then finish them off with a knife or something that will actually be effective.

OtG
October 6, 2004, 12:05 PM
Seems to me that a credit-card sized gun would be more useful if it fired .22 LR or .22 wmr (or .17 hrm!), than a mini-shotgun. Or would that be less legal?

Either way, it seems too easy to stick your fingers in front of the barrel, especially in an emergency. :scrutiny:

poll was 56%-44% in favor of concealed carry when I hit it.:)

BeLikeTrey
October 6, 2004, 12:57 PM
I hit it for at least 100. Nuthin on the percentage.

jefnvk
October 6, 2004, 01:14 PM
That said, I think that the reason for BP is that a muzzle loaded BP isn't considered a gun by the ATF

AFAIK, they are treated as antique guns are. But, I would imagine that states would still treat them as weapons. If not, what would stop a person from carrying a BP revolver?

rem
October 6, 2004, 01:15 PM
"“This I can see being the ultimate self-defense weapon,” said Mark Koscielski, owner of Koscielski’s Guns and Ammo..."

:uhoh:

Preacherman
October 6, 2004, 01:36 PM
And what happens if some dummy tries to run that thing through a credit card imprinter? Would the resulting "BANG!" mean that your credit is no good?

:D

cslinger
October 6, 2004, 01:44 PM
Take a good knife with you. Smaller, much, much more powerful and most people are instinctively afraid of being stabbed. Not to mention the fact that you can use a knife for about a million other daily uses as needed.

You pull that little thing out and the BG is going to be thinking, whether or not he should take another 3% out of your a$$ for trying to use a credit card.

On the bright side it does my heart good that people are experimenting with firearms and concealment and the poll is looking good.

Chris

El Rojo
October 6, 2004, 02:27 PM
I think I will choose my glock 27 over the credit card carry.

striker3
October 6, 2004, 02:44 PM
You pull that little thing out and the BG is going to be thinking, whether or not he should take another 3% out of your a$$ for trying to use a credit card.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

c_yeager
October 6, 2004, 03:16 PM
Why is it that the media sticks a mastercard onto the side of this thing and calls it a "credit card sized shotgun" when it is clearly about 3/4 of an inch thick? If i were to stack every single card i have together it MIGHT be almost as thick as that thing.

Of course according to the article: "The shotgun almost fits in your wallet.". yeah i guess the term "almost" is just a tad subjective.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2004, 04:50 PM
I believe I'd have more faith in a sharp pencil.

On the proverbial "bright side," this ought to give the leftist extremists something new to screech and howl about. They've been sounding awfully repetitive lately.

armoredman
October 6, 2004, 04:57 PM
On the plus side, if it can put the BBs out at a decent velocity, it would be nice to have if surprised and disarmed - nobody would realize it's a firearm. paint it bright orange, and labelit something computer oriented, or something alon those lines. Or, replace the BBs with flechetes....:p

ZeroX
October 6, 2004, 05:13 PM
Might serve to mildly annoy the attacker... :rolleyes:

CleverNickname
October 6, 2004, 08:08 PM
Seems to me that a credit-card sized gun would be more useful if it fired .22 LR or .22 wmr (or .17 hrm!), than a mini-shotgun. Or would that be less legal?

If it fired cartridges it would be an AOW. Since it's a muzzleloader it doesn't fall under the NFA.

From USC 26, 5845(e) (http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00005845----000-.html), which defines an AOW: "Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition."

Daemon688
October 6, 2004, 08:32 PM
They had a short news story on it today and it failed to work at his demonstration.

Hkmp5sd
October 6, 2004, 08:44 PM
You'd be better off with a NAA Mini-revolver in .22 WMR.

Ed Ely
October 6, 2004, 08:58 PM
Guys, do not get to excited as this machine is black powder and is
in the muzzle loader group. No FFL to buy direct. So, figure in the
stuffing, powder and .177cal. BBs (no caps to worry about since this
machine requires some source of battery power to ignite the powder),
therein lies the problem. What happens when the batteries go low?

Right when you need it, no poof, no fizzle, your dead meat.

Firethorn
October 6, 2004, 09:31 PM
Ed,

Preventive maintenance, just like what you'd do for a smoke alarm. Figure out an inspection process and replace the igniter before it's near worn out.

As for the BP and 7 BB's, I figure a: At extreme close range it's going to hurt and a loud bang to get people looking.

Still, I think I'll stay with my CZ75.

JMag
October 6, 2004, 10:05 PM
Hmm, a muzzleloader for self defense. I'll keep what I currently use, thank you. I hope the maker hasn't quit the day job...

Kodiak AK
October 7, 2004, 01:11 AM
I don't know I take it as an inovation some one made to better protect themself when they do not have other legal options to do so .

First rule of a gun fight is have a gun , even if it is a BP muzzle loader.

carebear
October 7, 2004, 01:33 AM
there's a lot of BP muzzleloaders I'd feel comfortable carrying CCW.

Not this one, but almost any BP revo. They did seem to work for a while, back in the day.
;)

fistful
October 7, 2004, 02:55 AM
Who's with me on a group buy? It's the size of a credit card, so I'll put one in every slot in my wallet. Guess I can sell my Combat Magnum now.

Gives a new meaning to charging your attacker...you'll laugh later, when you hear a joke that's actually funny.

fistful
October 7, 2004, 02:59 AM
As of 2am, central time, 7 Oct, the poll is now 59 - 41 in our favor. Yah! The tide has turned! Or, it could be that gun-related sites are linking to it more than other sites.

Ya think?

zpo
October 7, 2004, 05:37 AM
This reminds me of the cigarette gun, and the lipstick gun I saw on the History Channel show about spies during WWII. They mentioned the little guns don't do much more than distract whoever you shot it at, but since you were trying to not be captured, you just used the chance to grab the bad guys gun. Liberators were probably more effective, if not as easy to conceal. Neat idea, though. If I had extra money, I would buy one just to have.

carebear
October 7, 2004, 12:26 PM
Fistful,

I've got some 'interest' in your group-buy idea.

Looks like that laughter is still gonna be awhile..... :D

Red Tornado
October 7, 2004, 03:30 PM
I'd rather have almost anything else, but I have one (seemingly) relevant question. What kind of muzzle velocity could you expect from this thing? I don't do black powder, so I don't have a clue. What about more powder and less BBs? Say 3 BBs' and 4BB's worth of more powder?

My mom always told me BB's can put your eye out. I don't want none o' that!;)

OtG
October 7, 2004, 05:04 PM
You know what? I want one.

Sure, it'd be (almost) useless for actual self-defense, and it's awkward to load, probably hard to aim...

but it's damn cool!!

I don't know what I'd use it for, maybe swatting flies or killing mosquitoes, or taking the occasional potshot at a bothersome rodent...

But it's a shotgun I can fit in my pocket! I can finally use up some of those bbs I have laying around!! (and then buy some more? :cool: )

It's nice to see that there are still some people tinkering with new gun designs.

-Owen:

Harry Tuttle
October 7, 2004, 07:41 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1280170

http://www.teelgun.com/

If you enjoyed reading about ""Credit Card" CCW "Shotgun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!