stinking coworker outed me as CCW

PDA

spacemanspiff
October 6, 2004, 01:26 PM
so now the entire office knows i carry.

at least two other coworkers are flaming liberals and against mere possession of firearms. got a few dirty looks after they were told i 'pack heat'.

the one who outed me didnt know it wasnt up for general discussion. she asked me (after apologizing) if i carry here at work.
i said "well that would be against company policy, wouldnt it?"

:neener: fortunately she didnt realize i didnt answer her question.

If you enjoyed reading about "stinking coworker outed me as CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Series 70
October 6, 2004, 01:36 PM
That shows the risk of telling anyone that you carry. No one at work knows, nor will I tell them. Outside my family, only a few friends know and I trust their discretion.

Overheard a conversation at work last week. A co-worker was discussing the second with someone. He was saying that it applied only to muskets and other arms that existed at that time. It in no way justified the private ownership of any repeating firearm.

There's a wall I won't be beating my head against.

Wildalaska
October 6, 2004, 01:47 PM
Tell the liberals to move to Spenard, then they will understand why ya carry

WildgimmetheirnamesmaybewecanoutemasclosetgunownersAlaska

Average Guy
October 6, 2004, 01:51 PM
The amazing thing is that they don't realize that you're not only the safest person in the office (that is, in terms of "going off"), but also the safest person to be near should someone else snap.

<sigh>

Tall Man
October 6, 2004, 01:57 PM
The one who outed me didnt know it wasnt up for general discussion.
Spiff - how did this woman gather her intel? Did she betray your faith in what should have been a confidential conversation?

TM

Vitamin G
October 6, 2004, 02:29 PM
Maybe she had to take off his smartcarry while they were in the break room ;)

Dunno if i'd be mad or not :neener:

voilsb
October 6, 2004, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Furious Styles:
Getting out of that one was one of the masterful episodes in my life, believe me.Well, let's hear it, then!

ALS
October 6, 2004, 03:00 PM
That is the benefit of owning your own business. I greet customers with a .45 in my Wilderness Safepacker on my hip. At least there is one or two employees on any shift that have Concealed carry in house. The customers never know the girl waiting on them is packing. The rest of the non-carry employees don't have a problem with all the weapons in house. Heck I have my Dillon 650 set up in my office. It does get rid of some of the sales people quickly when they see the reloading bench.:evil:
I remember the day after Christmas about five years ago when I walked into the break room and there were 4 new "unloaded" guns laying on the counter and the girls were oooing and awing each others new toys.:D After that day I upgraded my carry gun from a Browning High power to a HK .45.

spacemanspiff
October 6, 2004, 03:19 PM
well you see, back when i was a 'nuuby' to carrying, i had a holster for my steyr m9/m40 that would make my shirt ride up. so one day i was tinkering with a computer and was crawling under the desk to plug it in when i realized my shirt was over the gun.
one person saw it, didnt say anything, she told another, who told another and a month later i heard about it from my supervisor. (never got as far as the big boss though, he would soil himself if he knew how close he is to a gun.)

that was over a year ago, and no one made a huge stink about it, it was my fault, and it hasnt happened since i started carrying the kimber in a wellmade holster, and started wearing better cover garments.

this is gonna be a long story. starts last thursday, i went with a friend to watch some boxing, couldnt carry cause the building is posted and they have metal detectors. so a fight breaks out next to me and my friend, who is in a motorized wheelchair, and i step between her and the two mopes throwing punches, telling her to 'Move!'
that story is told at a luncheon by my friend (former co-worker now retired) to everyone. myself, my supervisor and the big boss are not at this luncheon and i learn afterwards that one of the ladies i work with said something about me 'packing heat' and how 'that kind of crap wouldnt have happened if they knew that i was armed'.

so the entire table of my coworkers discovers i carry a gun. as long as i can keep them believing that i abide by company policy i'll be fine. but if push comes to shove i can just as easily walk from this job. besides, Wildalaska offered me a job as marketing director.

besides, ever since i got accused of 'sexual harrassment' i try to avoid the breakroom and anyone who hangs out there. once bitten, twice shy!
:D

Buck Snort
October 6, 2004, 03:30 PM
Sometimes you have to have the good sense to just stand right up and tell a great big LIE!! (i.e., honesty is most EMPHATICALLY NOT always the best policy)

Das Pferd
October 6, 2004, 04:31 PM
Overheard a conversation at work last week. A co-worker was discussing the second with someone. He was saying that it applied only to muskets and other arms that existed at that time. It in no way justified the private ownership of any repeating firearm.

Jut say that freedom of speech and the press should then only apply to writeing with a quill and ink.

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2004, 04:46 PM
Sometimes you have to have the good sense to just stand right up and tell a great big LIE!!

Insulin pump. It's a medical thing, you know, dude?

armoredman
October 6, 2004, 05:01 PM
Colostomy bag - whaddya gonna do, charge me with possession of a disgusting weapon?:rolleyes:

Kamicosmos
October 6, 2004, 05:27 PM
I'm not carrying yet. The place I work at is very anti-gun, as in they contributed BIG money to help defeat our first CCW vote. (Yet, our security guards are armed...go figure.)

Anyways, I just bite my tongue when gun stuff comes up. The AWB sunset especially was a true exercise in not saying anything. I am Extemely vocal when it comes to my political viewpoints (well, I'm just a vocal guy in general), and I'm not afraid to share them, so it's very difficult for me not to launch into a discussion. I feel like a coward or something, but I figure the less they know about me, the better. I've already told them too much personal stuff as it is.... :uhoh:

And speaking of the sexual harrasment stuff....isn't it a sad day when a man is actually afraid to say something innocent like 'nice dress' or 'I like what you've done with your hair?' :(

R.H. Lee
October 6, 2004, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the ultra tolerant world of the new intolerant illiberal left. :barf:

jefnvk
October 6, 2004, 06:17 PM

Coming from someone that wears an insulin pump, as soon as you say that, all but the most inquisitive will drop further questioning, and will immediately apologize for asking such a personal question. That's what makes it such a good idea :D

Zundfolge
October 6, 2004, 06:24 PM
Sometimes you have to have the good sense to just stand right up and tell a great big LIE!!

When I was still working at Walter Drake (which BTW had no "no guns" policy at the time) I was point blank asked by one of my co-workers in front of the entire department if I was carrying a gun ... I LIED through my teeth and said "No, of course not."

Now that they are owned by Miles Kimball I bet they have a "no guns" policy (but when Miles Kimball bought the company they took Walter Drake from a little over 600 employees down to about 25 in one fell swoop ... you can bet your hiney I was going to pack during the 3 months between the time of the announcement and the official closure of most of WDs operations). I escaped before that day because frankly Miles Kimball sucks and I couldn't stand being there anymore (even though I was one of the 25 who was keeping their job).

I carry where I work now ... with the bosses blessing ... but I still don't make a big deal about it and only one other employee other then my boss knows I carry (and I'd rather nobody did, but circumstances I won't go into here required me to tell the boss and the other employee is a fellow gun nut who kept talking about CCW and wondering aloud how to go about getting his permit so I explained the process to him ... he's bright enough to figure out that I carried).

In general I find its best to keep the number of people who know you carry to a minimum (not just people you work with) because it will effect how people look at you.

I've never had anyone shun me for carrying, but I have a friend who knows I carry and she has a problem with keeping her mouth shut and I could see her say "you better leave us alone or my friend here will shot you" to some pan handler or some jerk hassling us.

That one doesn't work if you have a coke in your hand when you say it :neener:

Standing Wolf
October 6, 2004, 06:27 PM
...isn't it a sad day when a man is actually afraid to say something innocent like 'nice dress' or 'I like what you've done with your hair?'

People who are afraid to speak have no freedom of speech.

cerberus
October 6, 2004, 06:27 PM
It's Concealed Carry for a very good reason. As you just found out.:banghead:

spacemanspiff
October 6, 2004, 06:31 PM
one of these days when i take some vacation time, i'm gonna come to the office while open carrying to 'pick something up'. i'd like to see the look on my bosses face when he sees that.

i'd like to talk the boss into accepting the revised company handbook that had some, uhhhhh, creative editing to insert the adjective "illegal" before each instance of the verb "weapon". they'd never know! :D

RobW
October 6, 2004, 06:35 PM
Applying some logic, doesn't the problem solves itself? The sheeple are intentionally outing themselves as defenseless and even go willingly to the slaughterhouse.

How long will they survive in the midst of violent criminals? Absolutely puzzling, the "Liberals" live in the large cities of the country that offer them the highest crime rates, and they just bend their knees to the predators.

Talking about to hide the head in the sand...

spacemanspiff
October 6, 2004, 06:51 PM
its never been a secret that i enjoy shooting. i have my best targets tacked up in my cube, as well as some of olegs posters. so everyone knows i do shoot, but in conversation with my co-workers i usually try to stress that i am more into rifles, as that is more acceptable to most people.

you're right about the 'head in the sand', some of these hoplophobes are the same ones who voice concerns about drunks or homeless bums that are sometimes found wandering the building after the doors are unlocked at 6am.
they are also the same ones who try to keep our office door even more secure during the holidays because there are thieves who do snatch-n-grabs.

:rolleyes:

sekdar
October 6, 2004, 07:19 PM
even as they go to the slaughterhouse, they will try to drag us along with them, so the problem doesn't quite solve itself :(

cerberus
October 6, 2004, 08:19 PM
Guy here was letting his dog back inside from back door. Up walked a Hispanic male and just shot him then as he lay on the ground went through his pockets and took what money he had on him. I never go anywhere around my home with being armed.:rolleyes:

nemesis
October 6, 2004, 08:57 PM
well you see, back when i was a 'nuuby' to carrying, i had a holster for my steyr m9/m40 that would make my shirt ride up. so one day i was tinkering with a computer and was crawling under the desk to plug it in when i realized my shirt was over the gun.

I carry a gun every day, and that includes working at my office, and I live in a hot, humid climate where a minimum of clothing is the norm. I dress like everyone else and my gun doesn't hang out because I use a tuckable IWB holster and my shirts are always tucked in.

Seldom a day passes that someone doesn't declare that the ideal way to carry their Beretta concealed is with Pro Operator Tactical Combat holster under a loose shirt 2 sizes too large. That exasperates me because most working place dress standards or the standards expected for social gatherings such as meetings or Church usually preclude someone showing up in voluminous T-shirts or untucked work shirts. My impression is that most of the recommendations come from folks with limited carry experience, who carry part time. This example may be different.

What seems to be significant here is that the efforts to conceal the firearm were not sufficient for a populated office environment. Either the carry was casual and unconcerned or it was a flagrant statement. Either way, blaming the fellow employee for "outing" you is an easy way out. That's like a criminal blaming the witness for observing the crime.

It is not the fault of the employee for "outing" you, it is your own fault for not knowing how to carry concealed. Don't expect to remain anonymous when you don't know how to conceal a weapon. You can't get first class performance with a second class effort.

Sawdust
October 6, 2004, 09:37 PM
Coming from someone that wears an insulin pump, as soon as you say that, all but the most inquisitive will drop further questioning, and will immediately apologize for asking such a personal question. That's what makes it such a good idea

Won't work at my place...we make 'em! :p

Sawdust

Stand_Watie
October 6, 2004, 09:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That one doesn't work if you have a coke in your hand when you say it

My little brother wears one and believe it or not, one of the things he likes the most about it is that it makes it so easy for him to adjust his insulin that he can drink a coke if he wants to.

I do have to say that I think the concept of a colostomy bag is much more embarassing to the questioner and likelier to cause questioning to cease.

BluesBear
October 6, 2004, 10:22 PM
It is not the fault of the employee for "outing" you, it is your own fault for not knowing how to carry concealed. Now correct me if I'm wrong but as I read it the instance where he was crawling under a desk happened quite a while ago and has nothing to do with the co-worker "outing" him last week.

It would seem in this case that the co-worker knows he carries outside of work but not for sure if he carries while at work.

4v50 Gary
October 6, 2004, 11:06 PM
If you carry, don't get caught. Make sure it's very deep cover such that you can remove your jacket and nothing is visible that suggests a firearm.

spacemanspiff
October 6, 2004, 11:51 PM
Either way, blaming the fellow employee for "outing" you is an easy way out. That's like a criminal blaming the witness for observing the crime.
yeah, that was over a year ago it was spotted, completely my fault, and i have since changed the weapon/holster/concealing garments. i do use tuckables every know and then but more often its a iwb under a tshirt and a button down.
my guts too fat to wear tuckables every day and still be comfortable.

the one who outed me isnt even the one who observed my gun in the first place. what i do fault the person for is not having the discretion to keep their mouth shut.
all it does is make everyone else in the office wonder 'is he packing heat right now?'
heck, someone complained because i had displayed my colleciton of deformed bullets/slugs i dug out of berms and backstops. my being outted will definitely make some of my coworkers uneasy around me.

morganm01
October 7, 2004, 12:41 AM
Take heart, Spiff.

Years ago, I had one reach out when I was least expecting it and smacked me right on the holster. Not only did she recoil, but she asked me if I was carrying in front of around ten fellow employees.

Getting out of that one was one of the masterful episodes in my life, believe me.[

Could have told her to quit grabbing your butt or you would file a complaint, then left.:eek:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 7, 2004, 01:04 AM
The only problem with using the 'insulin pump' or 'colostomy bag' trick is to make sure nobody has any 'real-world knowledge' about them where you're at.

I've never known anyone to wear either at 4 o'clock strong sided. A TENS unit, yes...

Still...the 'icky factor' will usually keep them from pursuing the question.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Zundfolge
October 7, 2004, 01:33 AM
My impression is that most of the recommendations come from folks with limited carry experience, who carry part time.
Or this recommendation comes from someone who's not a "suit"

I wear khakis and comfortable untucked shirts (generally subdued colored "hawaiian" type shirts in warm weather and sweaters in cold weather) every day to work, but I don't work in a bank ... I work for a small company as a Graphic Designer (frankly being a "creative professional" does afford me a little more latitude in regard to corporate dress ... people expect us to be "funky").

Only problem I have with tuckables is deployment speed ... would hate to have to untuck my shirt to draw (but if you have to wear a tucked shirt, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do).

Majic
October 7, 2004, 07:58 AM
one of these days when i take some vacation time, i'm gonna come to the office while open carrying to 'pick something up'. i'd like to see the look on my bosses face when he sees that.
If there is a no carry policy where you work then no matter if you are on vacation or not you might like to see the bosses face, but not want to hear what he has to say about having the handgun. You are still an employee and have to abide by the rules on their property or face punishment.

DragonFire
October 7, 2004, 09:19 AM
Not that you should go around shouting it to everyone you meet, or that you should blantantly disregard office policy, but once the fact that you CCW is out, you should just acknowledge the fact and not make a big deal out of it.

If others try to make it a big deal, look at it as THEIR problem and not yours. Act as if it is THEIR problem not yours. Don't attack them (verbally, I mean) but put them on the defensive, if it's discussed at all.

Sure some people may fear you a bit, or hate you or ignore you or whatever, but most people will just accept it and forget about it. Maybe you recruit a non carrier or at least make them lean a little more our way, or maybe nothing happens.

I work with a few vegatarians, yet we've had discussions about my deer hunting at lunch while they were present. We've talked about my son who is in the Army Reserves, and spent time in Iraq, even though we have a few co-workers who are very anti-war/anti-army. I'm sure they weren't pleased with any of the discussions, but we continue with good working elationships.

I carry to defend myself and my family, not to win friends. If you're worried what people will think of you for carrying, then you'll find lots of other reasons to worry what people think of you.

GSB
October 7, 2004, 11:59 AM
I work in N. Florida. I think about half a dozen people at work have come to me asking for information on getting their permits! (including my previous boss) Of course, I work with people who have professed an interest in acquiring some Class III toys, so in my circle I suppose I am considered a moderate.

I don't carry in the office though. I think that would be pushing it even here.

sturmruger
October 7, 2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah work can suck. I work at a medium sized wireless company. We have more HR BS that you can shake a stick at. We have the same stupid rules. You know what they say about rules they are made to be broken.

zougou
October 7, 2004, 12:54 PM
I use a MiniMed 508. Where I work CCWing is not allowed. It seems like trying to conceal something is hard for me since if I have the infusion site on the right side, the sidearm pushes into it. Owwee. So, I guess I can't claim an insulin pump if everyone sees it anyway. Lots of people seem to think it's a cell phone.:rolleyes:

Nice to know I'm not the only Type I here.:)

KLR
October 7, 2004, 07:52 PM
Try this one. I am a federal agent. At my office a lot of the old timers take their gun off as soon as they step into their office and lock it in a drawer. Why? Apparently several years ago there were support personnel in the office who were upset by the sight of guns. You were expected to either lock it up or wear your suit jacket full time. :banghead:

Thankfully it isn't like that any more.

People ask why I don't take it off in the office. I think something like 7% or 12% of the FBI agents killed in the line of duty were killed when someone walked into their office and started shooting. In the lobby at our local FBI office, they have a wall with the fallen agent's picture and a story of what happened. It was something like 5 out of 42 or 47. Something like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "stinking coworker outed me as CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!