post pics of your favorite hunting rifle

PDA

CRridermike
October 6, 2004, 10:41 PM
here is mine. shes a Tikka T3 lite .30-06 with a 3x9 leupold scope, and butler creek stock cartridge holder and sling.

If you enjoyed reading about "post pics of your favorite hunting rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
October 6, 2004, 11:38 PM
But, for tonight, I'll call this one my favorite hunting rifle. Early Remington Model 8, built in 1906, chambered in .32 Remington, with Lyman #2 tang sight and Marbles buckhorn sight on barrel shroud:

http://mauser98.com/rem8-3.jpg

rbernie
October 6, 2004, 11:47 PM
Fazakerly Enfield Mk4No1, circa 1944 - all numbers matching and first variant barrel. (Before y'all have a cow, I bought it with the barrel already cut down. I just tried to clean it up and make it useful in its new role as a sporter.)

For some reason, this barrel seems to like 150gr bullets better than 180's. I've not handloaded anything for it yet, but with 150gr Federal ammo it'll shoot 3/4" groups on average @ 100 yards and never stray above 1".

Rembrandt
October 7, 2004, 07:14 AM
Colt Sauer .270, shown without the scope (Swarovski 30mm 2-9)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/coltsauer.gif

cracked butt
October 7, 2004, 08:58 AM
Old remington 700 ADL in .308.

Carbon_15
October 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
This one

noonanda
October 7, 2004, 01:37 PM
First is my Mosin Nagant 1942 M-38 with a scout scope set-up, second would be my M-1 Garand or Ishapore enfield #1 Mk 3

shermacman
October 7, 2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Carbon_15!
You can't hunt with that! That is an assault rifle! Not all black and evil lookin, but an assault rifle none the less. The bliss-ninnies have made it very clear that no one can hunt with those!
:rolleyes:

H&Hhunter
October 7, 2004, 04:56 PM
Only one...I must post two sorry..

My custom baby doll Model 70, 375H&H Stainless, cut, fluted, crowned, trued, McMillian stocked tack driver.

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/8457/375HHwebready.jpg

.470NE searcy box lock Double....

http://img13.exs.cx/img13/4229/Hogsdogsdoubleswebready.jpg

Jaeger
October 7, 2004, 05:51 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/055063.JPG

This rifle is tied with my Marlin 1895G (45-70) for my favorite hunting rifle.

rbernie
October 7, 2004, 06:08 PM
Hey, Jeager - where'dya get the scout scope mount? I've got a Mk4No1* that was sporterized by Golden State Arms (the 'Santa Fe' line) and had the rear sight housing milled off. :banghead: This means that I can't run any 'normal' scope mounts, but a scout-style mount would be PERFECT for that rifle....

WhiteKnight
October 7, 2004, 06:38 PM
If you'll believe this, I was about 15 seconds away from posting this exact same topic when I saw your post. :eek:

rbernie
October 7, 2004, 09:51 PM
This is my newest sweetheart, and it's working really hard to displace the Enfield as my favorite hunting rifle. This is the one that I've been spending all of my recent range time with, and the one that will likely be used the most this coming fall.

It's a 1895 Chilean Mauser, chambered in 7x57, and made at Karl Loewe in Berlin. It's got the original matching S/N barrel, and the rifling is as crisp and a bright as any new production barrel. (Again, somebody else had already cut the barrel and drilled the receiver for the scope mount - I just rescued it and cleaned it up.) It's now got a Timney trigger and sports a Burris FullField II. I've got another Monte Carlo-style walnut stock for it, but don't feel like fitting it until after this season is over - I'd rather use the rifle at this point instead of playing with it.

So far, group sizes (all with factory ammo) run a little under 1" with either 120gr or 140 gr factory ammo (Federal, Win, Rem). The POI clearly changes between the two, and I'm just trying to find the best factory loads and dial in the delta so I can swap back-n-forth as needed. I haven't tried any 170+gr stuff yet - that's what I have the 303RR for.

Larry Ashcraft
October 7, 2004, 10:23 PM
This is my favorite, a 1903 Springfield I built about 16-18 years ago. Before you accuse me of "bubba-izing" it, lemme explain; Sarco was selling 1940's mfg NEVER BARRELED 1903 actions (nickle steel) for $100 back then. The barrel is a Douglas, the stock French Walnut, chambered in 25-06. This thing has accounted for at least three pronghorns and a few coyotes.

I use the original military trigger simply because I shoot well with it. I was shooting 500m rams at the Whittington Center with it this spring, and it got downright boring, so I used my M1 the rest of the morning. The scope is an old Weaver WideView 3-9.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1281309

Okiecruffler
October 7, 2004, 10:28 PM
And there's a big difference between an artful sporterization, and a hacksaw in the shed Bubbafying. I haven't hunted deer in years, but if I was so inclined, I'm sure this would be my rifle.
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=66232

And here's why,
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=66408

Larry Ashcraft
October 7, 2004, 10:31 PM
Detail of the comb. I'm proud of this because I did all the stock work. The dings are earned.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1281333

Larry Ashcraft
October 7, 2004, 10:44 PM
And there's a big difference between an artful sporterization, and a hacksaw in the shed Bubbafying
Well said. I've got two "sporterized" 1903's, the one above and one my dad did in the 50's (Bird's eye maple stock, and the best that could be done at the time) I just rebarreled his to 270 AI and will be working with it after elk season. I'll put some pics up when I get around to it. I've also got two untouched 1903's that will stay that way.

My dad and brothers use Win. model 70's, my son a Rem. 700. I guess I'm just an old timer, I love my 1903's.

cracked butt
October 8, 2004, 12:52 AM
H&Hhunter- is it just my imagination or does that hog actually have a softball sized hole in it?:D

Jaeger
October 8, 2004, 07:16 AM
There really are some very nice rifles listed here!

The mount is a scout mount from XS Sight Systems. This one was a custom mount but XS has since offered a dedicated Enfield mount. It is held on with Acraglass and is solid as a rock!

H&Hhunter
October 8, 2004, 09:27 AM
H&Hhunter- is it just my imagination or does that hog actually have a softball sized hole in it?

Cracked butt,

If your gonna hunt hogs you should always use enough gun.:D

I don't know if was actually softball size.. Maybe hardball size.. 500grain X bullet at 40 yards..Kinda rough on em I guess.;)

Hey Larry,

that 03 makes me all giddy and woozy and happy. I am in the process of looking for the worlds sexiest .30-06. That would be the rifle right there. Can you help me out with some info on doing an 03 just like that?

Wow....

Greg

Larry Ashcraft
October 8, 2004, 12:43 PM
H&H, thanks for the kind words. I had exactly that in mind when I built it. It was to be a range queen, my dream rifle, in my favorite action and my favorite caliber. Of course I realized later that it needed to be used, put a sling on it and started killin' stuff with it. :D

I saw some 03A3 actions in Shotgun News a few months ago for $200, probably Sarco or J&G. Add another $60-70 for a 1903 floorplate and you have a good start.

The gunsmith who built the rifle for me is old school, he knows what needs to be done to make a 1903 right... thinning and tapering the trigger guard, polishing the bolt, engine-turning only the follower and extractor, the devil's in the details. He is officially retired, but still working. I could probably talk him into doing another one. Or you could take my rifle to your favorite smith and show him what needs to be done.

My stock started out as a blank I found somewhere. I took it to Ed Shulen who teaches stockmaking at Trinidad State Junior College. He pantographed it down to 95% and bedded it for me, he really is a master, but I don't know if he is still there or not. I did all the finishing of the stock so I could have a hand in somewhere. I spent countless hours with small files and sandpaper getting the European comb and the schnabel just right, then I finished it with Linspeed, rubbing between coats with Rottenstone.

You really need to see this rifle after your compliments. We get up that way fairly often as my Son-in-Law is a crew scheduler for Frontier, and they live in Strasburg. We'll get together. Or, drop that bird into the Pueblo airport and give me a call, we're less than ten minutes away. Tell your passengers to keep their shirts on while you take care of some personal business. ;)

Northwest Cajun
October 9, 2004, 12:00 AM
Here is my newest baby, It's a 1917Enfield( rem) in .338-06 that shoots sub MOA with 225gr bullets. Thats a Burris 2.75X scout scope in Leupold QW weaver rings and a XS mauser scout mount. The barrel started out as a 1.25" blank and was turned down to fit. I had a hand in about 75% of the work done on the rifle. I wanted to keep as much of the origional parts on the rifle. All of the steel except the barrel is origional. The trigger is factory but has a set screw to make it adjustable.

The sights are origional as well. With the quality of the mount & rings I can remove the scope and pop a 10" plate at 200yds then put the scope back on and do it agian. I'll take it out for elk and it will be a back up for my "1903Mk1 during deer season this year. I'll post a pic of it also.

Cajun

Okiecruffler
October 9, 2004, 01:56 AM
Another very tastefully done rifle.

Sisco
October 9, 2004, 07:09 AM
Hey Carbon_15!
You can't hunt with that! That is an assault rifle! Not all black and evil lookin, but an assault rifle none the less. The bliss-ninnies have made it very clear that no one can hunt with those!
First time I went hog hunting in Texas I asked the guy who owned the lease we were on what the rules were as far as hunting hogs at night ect.
His reply: "Hell they don't care if you shoot hogs at midnight with an AK47".
Since I didn't have an AK on me I used a S&W Model 57 .41 mag.

This here would be my favorite hunting rifle although I haven't hunted with it. Yet. Have another Texas hog hunt coming up though. Marlin 1894 in .41 mag., I'll be carrying a Blackhawk .41 also.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1283725

P95Carry
October 9, 2004, 08:11 AM
Larry ..... love your rifle .... sweet indeed. :)

My fave is nothing too special really but - accurate gun - very easy to tote for hours. Good ol' Rem Gamemaster 760 (when it became the 7600 it was no longer near as good) .... in .308.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/rem760_s.jpg

Being sneaky here - gotta add another which is a great varmint category gun ... Savage 99C in .243.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/99c_s.jpg

Dave Markowitz
October 9, 2004, 10:43 AM
P95,

Don't you know that in PA Remington pumps are supposed to be in .30-06? :D

Seriously, it's one of many nice rifles in this thread.

WhiteKnight
October 9, 2004, 02:01 PM
Sisco, did you do that skull design yourself? I'm looking on Marlin's websit and I can't seem to find a picture of that inlay on a factory model.

BTW that is one of my favorite rifle pictures in a couple months. I think the wheel gives it a mighty rustic appeal.

P95Carry
October 9, 2004, 02:27 PM
Don't you know that in PA Remington pumps are supposed to be in .30-06? Hahaha! Shucks - now he tells me!!:p

Actually there were two factors there ..... #1 ... that was its chambering and ... #2 .... I have always stayed with .308, so as to avoid getting another (yet another!) set of dies!:)

Sisco
October 9, 2004, 05:15 PM
Sisco, did you do that skull design yourself? I'm looking on Marlin's websit and I can't seem to find a picture of that inlay on a factory model.

It's a special edition from Marlin, only one of them was made. I was sitting at home one night when I got a call from the CEO of Marlin Firearms and he told me my name had been chosen at random by throwing a dart at a map of the United States then picking one name out of the phone book of the nearest town to the dart.

Sisco
October 9, 2004, 05:17 PM
OK, I made that up. :p I found the design on the 'net and sent the stock to THR member Larry Ashcraft and he laser engraved it on for me.

Oh, and thanks for the complement. I have some higher resolution pics from different angles if you want some wallpaper.

Sulaco
October 9, 2004, 06:38 PM
Here's a picture of my new favorite deer rifle. Its a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) in 30-06. I put a Nikon 4x on it and using Hornady ammo, am grouping about an inch at 100 yards from a rest. If this is any indication of what the gun can do, I should have no problems offhand at up to 300 yards or so, my absolute maximum comfort distance.

Oh, and I have less than $500 in the whole package new, a big plus to me.

http://home.sc.rr.com/verbatimspics/wby.jpg

Northwest Cajun
October 10, 2004, 11:59 AM
Here is favorite #2, it's a 1903Mk1 w/ origional barreled action dated Nov 1918. It has a Timney trigger, B&C carbilite stock,muzzle brake,Simmons 6X fixed in custom leupold rings/mount and a bake-on teflon finnish. It shoots 1/2 MOA. It may be "bubbafied" but it works.
It was built by the same gunsmith who built the .338-06.

Cajun

tex_n_cal
October 10, 2004, 09:05 PM
A 200 th year #1 - .300 Win mag:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=75389

H&Hhunter
October 11, 2004, 12:26 AM
You really need to see this rifle after your compliments. We get up that way fairly often as my Son-in-Law is a crew scheduler for Frontier, and they live in Strasburg. We'll get together. Or, drop that bird into the Pueblo airport and give me a call, we're less than ten minutes away. Tell your passengers to keep their shirts on while you take care of some personal business.

Larry,

We should definatley put this together. I'll trade you some .470 double time for some 03 time..

Drop me a line some time.

Greg

davek
October 11, 2004, 09:43 AM
If I hunted, this would be it.

Sporty Springfield Model 1898.

http://www.fototime.com/{B232FD68-5856-4160-8C64-9AD3D23BF006}/picture.JPG

Larry Ashcraft
October 11, 2004, 12:09 PM
I'll trade you some .470 double time for some 03 time
Ulp! That sounds like, uhh, fun. :uhoh:

You betcha! We'll do it. :D

Chris, nice rifles! I don't think I've seen more than maybe three pumps in my life. Western hunters favor the bolt actions, although I think a fast action .308 or 30-06 would work well in most Colorado situations, except maybe antelope at long range. We do see quite a few lever guns here though, especially duting deer season.

Dr.Rob
October 11, 2004, 01:48 PM
My friend Janel modeling my Savage 116fsak 30-06, GI sling, Burris rings and mounts, Tasco Worls Class 3x9 scope, this is my second Savage rifle. The deerhead is courtesy of Bill Steinmeyer of Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo... photo by Shari Valenta.

Larry Ashcraft
October 11, 2004, 05:07 PM
Dr. Rob,

Wow.

Twice.

shermacman
October 11, 2004, 05:42 PM
Dr.Rob:
You have committed a posting sin. This post clearly requires you to post a picture of your favorite hunting rifle. There is no rifle in that picture. Could you re-post...larger?
:evil:

mtnbkr
October 11, 2004, 05:53 PM
Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight chambered in 6.5x55 (scope is a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33):

http://mysite.verizon.net/allencb/rifle.jpg

Chris

Dr.Rob
October 11, 2004, 07:12 PM
Certainly.

:D

lwsimon
October 11, 2004, 07:22 PM
I hunt with Stephanie, a Remington 700, synthetic stock, floated barrel, chambered in .22-250. My best shot so far was a large doe 350 yrds, at dusk across a hay field. You all may have your fancy large calibers, but i still say even a very small hole through your head is a bad thing...

tex_n_cal
October 11, 2004, 09:11 PM
Dr. Rob, that photo is too big. I can now see the wedding ring on her finger:banghead:

P95Carry
October 11, 2004, 11:51 PM
Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight chambered in 6.5x55 (scope is a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33): Ahah .... seen that one methinks Chris .. at the shoot last year. Nice indeed ..... and seems to shoot real well.

IIRC it survived pretty well the trauma it once suffered!!:p

WhiteKnight
October 12, 2004, 12:11 AM
Tarzan like Jane.

Dr.Rob
October 12, 2004, 01:11 AM
that's not a wedding ring.

captain obvious
October 12, 2004, 11:05 AM
US Rifle, Caliber .30 M1

If it was good enough to hunt Nazis and Commies, it's good enough to hunt deer.

H&Hhunter
October 12, 2004, 11:08 AM
Dr Rob,

I'd like your medical opinon on this please. Is that Savage natural or synthetic?

What kind of rifle is that Savage holding?:confused:

mtnbkr
October 12, 2004, 12:04 PM
Ahah .... seen that one methinks Chris .. at the shoot last year. Nice indeed ..... and seems to shoot real well.

Yup, that's the one. I've tinkered some more and continued to work on a good load for it. If my 50yd groups are an indication, it'll group under an inch at 100yds (currently shooting .2-.4" groups at 50yds on a cold, clean barrel). I need a 100yd range in my backyard. :p

Let's see...

I've glass bedded the action, tweaked the trigger, floated the barrel, and installed a pressure pad at the end of the stock's barrel channel. I've fired nearly 800 rounds in the pursuit of the "perfect" load (the rifle's just 2.5yo). Right now, a Sierra 140gr Gameking (loaded long) over 36gr of Varget show the most promise. I shot a few half MOA groups using RL22, but when the weather cooled a bit, the same load started shooting over MOA. :banghead:

IIRC it survived pretty well the trauma it once suffered!!

The marks are still there. It's honest wear though. :) I need to come up with some not so honest stories to explain the marks to my children or grandchildren though. :D

Chris

P95Carry
October 12, 2004, 09:45 PM
I can only say Chris - your dedication to load experimentation on that 6.5mm is deserving of an award!! Not sure I'd have been so much that way ... maybe it's age now!

Interesting re the Varget load - I am considering stoking my .243 Savage with some Varget loads, tho it does so far seem to like my 105 Speer Spitzer over 33.9 of VV N-140. Varget is one of the few powders I have not really evaluated and yet it does seem most versatile.

Haha .. grandkids stories ...... I'm sure you'll come up with a good tale .... maybe that time you were confronted with a bear!! ......... :D :p

phantomak47
October 13, 2004, 12:26 AM
I love that savage 99!!!

I got a 99 about four years ago from a family friend, it was his fathers and I was able to find out that it was made pre 1955. I had it drilled and tapped and I killed a deer with it last year.

The only downside is that its a 300 savage, I have to mail order my ammo. I am 24, but I love having old guns like the savage 99, even if it feels like it weighs 10lbs!!

BusMaster007
October 14, 2004, 01:29 AM
My first BigGame Rifle and still my favorite.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/091002.jpg
1989 Remington 700 'AS' (Aralon Synthetic) 7mm Rem.Mag.
Sights and factory stock removed and replaced with clean bbl. and Bell&Carlson Premier Thumbhole Sporter stock.
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Vari-X III matte scope in Redfield JR base and low rings. 6" sunshade in photo.
Bianchi Cobra sling.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/091017.jpg
This is the right side view of the 7mm shown in the factory stock with the sunshade removed; and the B&C stock freshly painted awaiting installation.

If you enjoyed reading about "post pics of your favorite hunting rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!