So, what's the consensus on the Sub2000?

PDA

Chris Pinkleton
October 7, 2004, 03:25 PM
I'm thinking about one of these as a companion gun for my G17 -- I just ordered one of those G18 mags, and I think I need a carbine to put it in.

I know the trigger pull is supposed to be heavy -- anyone have experience with the factory trigger job? How's the relibilty, durabilty, etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "So, what's the consensus on the Sub2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Daniel964
October 7, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm looking at getting one also so I'm looking forward to the answers. Only I want the one that uses Beretta 92 mags so I can get some 30 rounders.

jem375
October 7, 2004, 07:03 PM
at around $300 it is a really good buy if you insist on getting a 9MM carbine...lot cheaper than a Storm and probably just as accurate....

Jonathan
October 7, 2004, 07:34 PM
http://www.mechtechsys.com/images/CCU-Glock650.jpg (http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.html)

Seems like the obvious choice to me.

Daniel964
October 7, 2004, 09:29 PM
Is that real or a photoshop job?

Chris Pinkleton
October 7, 2004, 09:47 PM
So Jonathan, do you have any personal experience with the Mech-Tech?

To me, unless the Mech offers better performance over the Kel-Tec, it makes more sense to spend less money, and have a whole new firearm as opposed to just an "upper" for my pistol.

WhiteKnight
October 7, 2004, 10:15 PM
That's a Mech Tech carbine conversion (http://www.mechtechsys.com/)

tommytrauma
October 7, 2004, 10:52 PM
I love my Sub. Bought it as a toy, found that it was reliable, easy to shoot, at least 'minute of paper plate' accurate at 100 yards, and the perfect size for indoor use. I went with the S&W mag version. 17 round mags cost me ten bucks each. Ammo is a hundred rounds for ten bucks at wally world.

Shooting one is a lot like being a kid with a .22 again. Just a fun little plinker. I've come to trust mine enough that it's a bedroom gun now. Bought a second one for the truck after the first somehow became the wife's gun.

Daniel964
October 7, 2004, 11:19 PM
I've heard of those from a guy I met at the range this spring. He had one in .45 he let me shoot. It was quite heavy but fun to shoot.

Daniel964
October 7, 2004, 11:27 PM
I've heard of those from a guy I met at the range this spring. He had one in .45 he let me shoot. It was quite heavy but fun to shoot.

Jonathan
October 8, 2004, 01:12 AM
Chris: Though I haven't had the opportunity to use one, I have examined a few in person. The fit and finish seemed well above average, and though I'm no expert, it seemed well thought out and designed.

The way you mentioned finding a use for the G18 mag made me think you might be one of those people that loves modular or identical firearms. Either way, it's tough not to appreciate a carbine that's identical to your pistol. Obviously any cost or effort invested in trigger work, grip modifications, etc would be nice to carry over.

Chris Pinkleton
October 8, 2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the input. The company's website lists the 2 ranges I go to as dealers. I'll be sure to check them out if they have one.

Domino
October 8, 2004, 02:41 PM
Just ordered mine with a G19 magwell, should be here in a few days. Looking forward to seeing how it does with some G18 mags! Should be a fun gun, mine cost $279.99 at my dealer.

Bobarino
October 8, 2004, 03:27 PM
mine had some teething problems but its works fine now. i agree with TommyTrauma. ist a great, fun little plinker for ~$300 and mags and ammo are cheap and plentiful. its more accuarate than i expected and WAY more fun than i expected. its the (very) poor man's MP-5! plus i love being able to transport it to and from the range in a backpack. i always get looks at the range when i unfold it and start shooting. for the price, you can't go wrong. i'd recommend getting one.

Bobby

Domino
October 8, 2004, 11:06 PM
its the (very) poor man's MP-5!
I seem to remember reading a 6 page thread on that exact topic. If I remember correctly it got a little crazy. Anyways, they definately seem cool, if you think about it, why should a blowback 9mm or 40S&W carbine cost $1200 anyway. I like to think that they are closer to a sten gun than an Mp5 myself. :neener:

Bill St. Clair
October 9, 2004, 01:56 PM
I like my Sub-2000. .40 S&W with Glock mags. Hits minute of clay pigeon at 25 yards offhand. Perfectly happy with $70/500 Wolf ammo and likes Speer Gold Dot, too. Folds to 16"x7" for convenient stowage in a brief case, should you be so inclined. Very stiff blowback spring. My kids can't cock it.

http://billstclair.com/blog/sub200040SWfolded-small.jpg

It worked for me with the CCI Blazer ammo in the picture, but Kel-Tec warns against using aluminum-cased ammo, so I stick with Wolf for plinking.

USGuns
October 13, 2004, 12:50 PM
They are a hoot to shoot and lots of accessories are available on the KelTec website as well as here: http://www.blueforcegear.com/keltec.cfm

Jay Kominek
October 13, 2004, 01:22 PM
Wow. Does anyone have any experience with that shoulder rig?
Does it make the sub2000 concealable with a long winter coat?
(Assuming reasonably large fellow.)

I'd been thinking about getting a '2000 anyways. Something that would make it mostly concealable would be icing on the cake. :) A sort of unnecessary and potentially silly icing, but, hey, its all about amusing yourself. Right?

WhiteKnight
October 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
At $250 for the gun, and with $20 Glock 33-rounders, this gun is becoming more and more appealing. :)

mrstang01
October 13, 2004, 08:02 PM
WhiteKnight, got a source for those $20 33 rounders?

WhiteKnight
October 13, 2004, 08:06 PM
Natchezss

mrstang01
October 13, 2004, 09:15 PM
Wow, I had just put down their catalog because it only listed Clinton mags.

mrstang01
October 13, 2004, 09:20 PM
Hmm, and their website shows them OOS too, drat.

MrMurphy
October 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
Actually it's the poor man's Uzi. :)

johnc522
October 14, 2004, 02:24 AM
Well, i have never fired an Uzi, but I went to the range with a friend this afternoon and put about 100 rounds of 9 mm through his Sub2K. It was very appealing, fed flawlessly with Wolf ammo, bit of a heavy trigger, but quite accurate. recoil about non-existent. Quite light and easy to handle.

I foresee me coughing up for one in .40 cal, with Glock mags.

MrMurphy
October 14, 2004, 08:24 AM
Well I have shot Uzis, full auto or not, and they handle very similarly ergonomics-wise (same layout) however the Uzi is all steel so it's heavier, and has a folding stock.

On semi, at 100 yards they're about as accurate, though the Sub-2000 has slightly better sights.

Domino
October 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I considered a Vector Arms semi-auto Uzi but I eventually decided on the Sub 2000. Although the Uzi is better made and can probably handle much more abuse I thought the Kel-Tec had a little more to offer me as far as a 9mm carbine goes, since neither one is a submachine gun. I still want a Vector but all practical logic tells me there is nothing the Vector can do that the Kel-Tec can't. The increased sight radius, price, and magazine adabtability give the Kel-Tec quite a destinct advantage in the civilian market when compared to the Vector IMHO. Plus, unless you want to pay the $200 NFA tax to put a 10" barrel on the Uzi you will have to deal with the 16". That makes the gun a less handy, even with a folding stock the Uzi would still be around 24" or so (not really sure). The Kel-Tec will fold up in half and be considerably more compact, it just makes since!

Chris Pinkleton
October 15, 2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Y'know, I'd go for an Uzi, if they'd ever market a semi-only version of the new Uzi that uses Glock mags.

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/smg/uzi/parauzi.htm

Uses Glock mags, better grip angle...what's not to like? I was a lot more enthused about the Vector Arms Uzi until I saw one at the last gun show. The long barrel makes it purty ugly, and the grip angle looks like a "non-pointer." If I had the cash to register it as a SBR, maybe...

MrMurphy
October 15, 2004, 09:32 PM
The Uzi points well, it's the long civilian barrel that sucks.

Doug S
October 15, 2004, 09:55 PM
I might like to pick one of these up if they are reliable. So far, even though there are a lot of responses to this thread, I don't see a lot of info pertaining to functional reliability. I've had two Kel-Tec pistols. The first a 100% reliable P-32, & the second a pretty lousy (unreliable) P-11. These seem like a mixed bag, & I don't want to get an unreliable carbine with which I won't be satisfied. This creates unrest on the homefront, as my wife who is great for the most part about buying firearms, gets a little annoyed by my selling a rifle that I've spent a considerable amount of time convincing her that it was a must have absolute necessity

student
October 15, 2004, 10:20 PM
I can speak of reliability. My beretta 92 version (makes me think the storm is a overpriced and less functional) has been 100% from white box winchester to the super hot +p+ hirtenbirger submachingun ammo. Just make sure it has the metal deflector clip, although all of the new ones should have it already, the originals didn't. Amazing accuracy as well. I have the sling, a hogue handall grip, and have attached a double mag pouch to the buttstock so that the gun always has 45 rnds on it at all times. I wouldn't want to have to buttstroke someone with it, but check out KTOG bulletin boards and you will see that in addition to all sorts of optics and light mounts, someone has figured out how to attach a bayonet to the sub2K.:what: This gub is awesome for HD since out of the longer barrel the noise and flash, even with hot loads, is considerably less than a pistol. And velocity and practical accuracy is increased. I currently have it in my BOB, but am going to switch to a .223 rifle for that soon.

Doug S
October 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
Student, thanks for the info. You make the Sub sound pretty tempting.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, what's the consensus on the Sub2000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!