Sacramento THR Shoot 3-22/23-03

PDA

45R
February 24, 2003, 03:13 AM
Sacramento THR Shoot 3-23-03
[Edit for date change by request] 3/23/03
Back by popular demand. I am going to set up another shoot on March 22. For this shoot please bring your SIGNIFICANT OTHER

Here is the list narrowed down form the last shoot.
Outdoor with Pistol and Rifle range.
1.Yolo County Sportsman Assoc |Best overall location for Bay Area, Sacramento and Stockton Shooters.
2.Camp Far West Spenceville Approx 70 Plus miles from I-5. Pros: Fun Fun fun. Cons: People show up with 6 packs of beers and guns around noon.
3.Sacramento Valley Shooting Center Haven't been there yet

Foodwise Vote:
A. Tail Gate Party, ie...picnic at YSA near the pond. Away from the lead. Shoot then head out for Ribs at Topguns favorite Joint!
B. Meet us at a voted location. (please vote and state location)
C.Eat by yourself before coming out to shoot.

For anyone else who would like to meet a few THRers your more then welcome to come out. That last outting lasted from 11:00 am to about 4:00pm. It was a good time and we made many friends and got to shoot everyones toys.

Let me know if you can make it and if all possible bring someone witn you that may not have been exposed to shooting or a significant other.

Thanks for looking.

45R

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 3-22/23-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sven
February 24, 2003, 03:19 AM
One of these days, I will try to get you guys to come down and try out one of these fine ranges:

http://www.sunnyvalegunclub.com/img/range/SRGCAnnotated.jpg

Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club (http://www.sunnyvalegunclub.com/)

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/Graphics/main/thumb/Panorama1.jpg

Los Altos Rod and Gun Club (http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/)

Until then... I better get my oil changed. =)

Will try to bring my lady friend.

-s

Sactown
February 24, 2003, 03:30 AM
YSA seems convenient for everyone. It's got my vote. I'll have to become a member next time.

Los Altos has excellent facilities. 100yd rifle, 50 yd rifle, and 2 or 3 25yd sight in targets, and assorted pistol ranges. The best part is the tin can range. You can bring plastic bottles and soda cans, fill them up with water, and then blaste'em at 50yds. They let you rapid fire on the tin can range, but only with a rimfire (it's been a little under a year since I been there, this might have changed) The trap shooting is off to the left in Sven's picture and sits on the side of a hill overlooking a small valley. They shoot the clays over the valley and you shoot them. Pretty cool view for shooting. Only problem is the Los Altos range is a good 3 hour drive from Sacramento.

Drjones
February 24, 2003, 03:46 AM
Hmmm...well, I didn't vote in the poll because I'm torn.

OTOH we have the YSA, which is where U2 must have been when they wrote their song "In God's Country."

OTOH, we have the Spenceville "Free" range where I could go midevil with my PG-only shottie (AT LONG LAST!!!) and we could all (Safely, of course) practice rapid-fire, drawing from concealment, etc. not to mention shoot up ANYTHING WE WANT!!!
:D :D :D

That alone would make it worth it for me!

I think I'll play sheep this time and go with the herd, as it were. Baaaaa! Hey! Get away from me, farmer! I've seen that look in your eye before....... :uhoh:

:D

I have no objections with either, though I lean towards the "Free" range for the above-listed reasons.

bamf
February 24, 2003, 05:10 AM
Hi guys,

I'm bummed that I missed shoot at the YSA, I was there literally all day on Friday, shot like 5 rounds of clays (3 skeet, skrap, wobble) but Saturday I went up to Reno with a bunch of buddies to celebrate my B-day.

Well I'm up for another YSA shoot on either 22 or 23rd. I promise I'll make it this time :)

BTW, I'm going to go to Sac Valley this Sunday to try IDPA for the first time. I might also give IPSC a try at the YSA, the following Sunday. So if anyone of you are interested I have some of the basic/logistics info at least for IDPA.

-dan

Poohgyrr
February 24, 2003, 10:48 AM
YSA and a picnic there sounds good to me. Spenceville is a possibility as well.

The link to the club shooting IDPA at Sac Valley is: http://www.cal.net/~stevemc/sdps/sdps.htm
There are other links to the other "local" action type clubs too.

I know Chabot (Chabot Park- Castro Valley/ Hayward area) has IDPA and a website as well, for you guys in the Bay area.

:cool:

Gary H
February 24, 2003, 12:04 PM
Any chance that you can alternate Saturdays and Sundays, so some of us that work on Saturday can attend?

Blackhawk
February 24, 2003, 12:10 PM
Wonderful, 45R! :neener:

You are a great American!

Wish I could participate. :(

QuickDraw
February 24, 2003, 12:15 PM
I would vote for YSA,but....thats the weekend of the Big Reno
Gunshow!I've been planning on going to this for awhile:D .
Ah well,hopefully there will be another get together.

QuickDraw

45R
February 24, 2003, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By Gary H
Any chance that you can alternate Saturdays and Sundays, so some of us that work on Saturday can attend?

Done the shoot date will be on a Sunday this time! The more the merrier. This way maybe most of us can truck out to Reno on Saturday for the Gunshow. :)

Blackhawk
Wish I could participate.

Your always welcome in my neck of the woods. Just leave my pineapples alone. :) Not only has the forum been a great wealth of information, Its the people behind the computers that make this such a great place. Why not get all these people out so that we can all have a good time? Many of my friends dont share the same passions. Some of them even shrug or run when they hear the word gun. :) Others I have converted, while some have no interest at all until I show them American and German engineering then they become occasional shooters.

I encourage anyone to start one up in their local town. The results of the two meets have been great. I have met many great people and made some good friends in the process. My outtings with the local guys have been lots of fun.

The big picture way down the line is to get as many people out as possible for get togethers. There will definetly be a summer meeting out at the San Luis Obispo range so that us Nor Cal people can get together with some of the So-Cal people. :) You guys down south listening This can be set up anytime as I know one of the individuals that runs that particular range. hummm an Informal type of THR (IDPA type) Shoot. Weaner gets bragging rights. :)

Till then Shoot often and Safely

45R

9mmepiphany
February 24, 2003, 12:53 PM
i'm really going to make one of these eventually

this one sounds like a good weekend so far...gotta check if i'd committed to the reno show for sat or sun (more selection sat, better deals sun)

sven - that is a beautiful range. hey guys, sunnyvale isn't THAT far away...the roads are good and you don't have to go through THE CITY...maybe with some planning.

i used to shoot a couple time a year at Chabot too, it is also very nice

Topgun
February 24, 2003, 01:26 PM
but mainly for the facilities if significant others are attending.

I dont remember if Camp Far West (Spenceville) has bathrooms.
I...THINK ....they do, but also think they are on the order of the little stink-n-run variety.

YSA, has far MORE amenities.

Spenceville is almost PURE testosterone.

S-ville has about 4 or 5 concrete shooting benches. It is 1st come ....1st serve of the most basic variety. The PRIME bench is the one under the scraggly tree (the ONLY tree.....if it hasn't been shot down yet)

MOST shooters are considerate and safety conscious.

BUT......YAYhoos also show up from time to time. Part of the scene. There is strength in numbers, though.

S-ville doesn't bother MY wife, but then you who know ME know that if she can stand me, she can stand anything.

IMO, most women would not find S-ville a really neat place.

But on the other hand, gun nuts can have a BALL.

I would base decision on whether the shooters want to bring others or not. Can always shoot there, but would not choose it for a "mixed company" all-around shoot.

Just my opinion.

Drjones
February 24, 2003, 01:36 PM
Hmmm....topgun raises very valid points.

It wouldn't make a very good impression (or maybe it would depending on the person :) ) if for their first time out shooting, they went to some decrepit, shot-up place, and watched us giggle like giddy schoolkids as we gleefully shoot up TVs, radios, fruits, etc.

(GOD, that sounds like so much fun!!!!!!!! :evil: )

Perhaps for this meet, since there may be newbies present, it would be best to go to YSA again.

Drjones
February 24, 2003, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone:

I'm tired of paying $10+/box for ammo. (50 rounds)

I want to get some bulk stuff online, and I'm determined to get it before this next shoot.

From places like ammoman.com and natchezz.com (sp?) you can get 500 rnds. for about $120 or so.

Would anyone want to split an order with me?

I'd be interested in either .45 or .40 ONLY, as those are the only handgun calibers I have. :)

Anyone?

Bueller......Bueller.....

Topgun
February 24, 2003, 01:43 PM
Told her about S-ville....
She said, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....nooooooooooooo"
then elaborated further that THAT was the place she called "the junkpile."

She'll go.......but ........she also thinks it would be a turnoff for anyone other than full GUN people.

We like (?) the place.....for what it is.....but don't go often because of distance and behaviors there.

But it sounds GREAT for a real knuckle draggin, jump up and down, hootin, finger-rattlin, red-hot barrel, skinned knees, can-skippin, appliance-destroying, dirty, all-out, fixed bayonet....BLAST PARTY!

Topgun
February 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
When I lived in Stockton, 4 or 5 shooters chipped in and bought a Star reloader press. They all shared the press and turned out ammo at a prodigious rate.

I wonder if that would be a good idea for our loose knit (dare I say it?) "........club?"

Practical for 9mm, 38, and 45 where the volume usually lies.

I was "out" of that group but a guest of one of the guys and it was NICE.

I also am looking for an online ammo place that sells .45 ....MID RANGE!!!!!! ammo.

None do that I have found so far. I shoot a Gold Cup and shoot for accuracy only. Have a Glock 30 for gettin outta tight scrapes.

But everyone sells 45 SWC at 850+ FPS and that is a bit hotter than the paper punching 700-750 that stacks the holes close. AND it will lead a match bore.

I think Roze Distribution has good exchange brass reloads but their site is down right now.

IF you find a place, let us know

Sactown
February 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
Drjones,

Have you tried the Miwall ammunition from the gun shows at Cal Expo? If you're looking for .45 they have an excellent 200gr SWC for 8.95 a box of 50. 500rnds of new 230gr is about $86 and reloaded 230gr is $100. They also have 185gr .45 ammo. I've tried all their .45 ammo and I've had no problems. It's accurate and pretty reasonable. There's a gun show March 4 and 5th. Here's a link to their website. The prices are what you can expect at the gun show. You don't have to pay shipping, but you have to pay $8 to get into the show.

http://www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mwcorp&Category_Code=45+Auto

Drjones
February 24, 2003, 01:58 PM
Sactown:

Thanks for the link!!! That is totally cheap!

Is it good quality? (For the price....)

Looks like I'll just buy that myself.....but wouldn't be opposed to splitting an order if anyone wants.

Topgun:

Great idea about buying a reloading press! How much do they cost? (For a Star or similar?)

Would anyone else be up for something like that?

It would pay for itself in no time flat.....

QuickDraw
February 24, 2003, 02:17 PM
45R,
Glad the date changed to Sunday.YSA would be good because its
on the way home from Reno!:D
I will make a concerted effort to make this!

QuickDraw

Sactown
February 24, 2003, 05:05 PM
Drjones,

Is it good quality? (For the price....)

I have had no problems with the ammunition. Never had a misfire with their ammo. The 200gr SWC is a bit smokey, but reloads shoot just like new commercial stuff to me. I've bought their .45, .40, 9mm, and .38 ammo without any problems. I think they list the FPS of their loads on their website, I know they had the FPS on the ammo at the gun show. Speaking of the gun show, I think it's on the 8th and 9th, not the 4th and 5th.

gumshoe4
February 24, 2003, 11:44 PM
Sac Valley Shooting Center has about 20 or so handgun lanes, all of which can be used at 7, 15 and 25 yards. Also has a 100 and 200 yard rifle range on the other side. Costs $7 for non-members to shoot all day.

Downside-further away for many folks who were at YSA. It's about halfway between Rancho Murieta and Ione about 30 miles east of Sacramento. Also, not as pretty as YSA.

If we schedule it for Sunday, my spouse might be able to go. If Saturday, it's a little tough, because we've got the 7th grade basketball league and martial arts lessons.

Whatever else I bring to the range to blast with, Nelson, I'll always bring the 681 for your better half!! Next time, I'll pay more attention and give her some coaching with it; then she'll be going for a roundgun of her own!!

Bob
TFL# 8032

45R
February 25, 2003, 12:50 PM
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/lilly/hmm3grin2orange.gif

45R
March 2, 2003, 01:47 PM
Dr.Jones
A Dillion Precision Reloader would run us in the ball park of 280 dollars. Awesome machine and lifetime warranty.

I'd be more interested in sticking with a modern reloader vs. a Star. Parts are easier to find and Dillion is a just a phone call away. Unless Paul "Fitz" can persuade me otherwise.

We would also need a scale, calipers, brass tumbler thing to clean brass and a few other things.

Anyone else interested in Topguns idea. It would definetly cut down the cost for those of us who shoot .45ACP on a regular basis.

45R

Gary H
March 2, 2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the change to Sunday.

I'm a bit confused as to where this will be held.

Jardine still has my Valtros. Can bring some P7's, black rifles, SKS..assortment of revolvers..ie.Colt 45, Ruger 480..etc..

Dr. Jones:

Many times you can buy from Miwall mailorder for less than purchasing at the local show..including shipping. My father just bought some 38 Special from them (S&B) and discovered that it was better by mail. You can usually find surplus ammo from places like AIM. I've been reloading the last couple of years and really like rolling my own.

gumshoe4
March 2, 2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks for making it Sunday. It makes it easier for me and increases the possibility that the spouse will also come with me.

Since that is the case, I initially voted for Sac Valley, but now I think that YSA is mo' betta.

Are we doing the same thing as last time-depleting the ostrich population at Redrum in Davis, or a picnic or somesuch at the facility?

This time, I'm bringing the 681 (for 45R's better half), my two Ruger autos (P95DC-9mm and P97DC-.45 ACP) and a FEG PA-63 in 9mm Makarov. If my spouse comes with me, she'll be toting her 649.

Sactown-thanks for the info on the gun show. While lots of ammo is cheaper thru the net, I find you can usually buy 9mm shootin' ammo for $5-7 per box, so that's generally where I load up.

Waitin' to hear the details!!

Bob
TFL# 8032

Drjones
March 3, 2003, 03:09 AM
Gary:

It looks like it will be held at the Yolo Sportsmen's Association again.

Great place!

See this thread for more details: (it contains the address and all that)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=135494#post135494

45R
March 3, 2003, 12:35 PM
Gary H-
You said "Valtros" as you have more then one. :)

The shoot will be held at YSA, since Gumshoe 4 changed his vote we have 100 percent at YSA. Its sorta centered out for everyone in the Sacramento and Bay Area. It seems like a good place to meet.

As far as places to eat, I wasnt all that crazy about Redrum. The ostrich burger tasted like a hummmmm regular burger. Nothing fancy smacy. Does anyone else know of a food place in the Davis area?

A few of us have talked about taking out our shotguns! Hint Hint So many things to play with, soooo little time.. :)

45R

Sven
March 3, 2003, 12:58 PM
So many things to play with, soooo little time..

We could get more shooting in if you guys arrive earlier... perhaps we can wash up and grab lunch mid-session. I was there by 9:30 - 9:45 and had an hour or two by myself before you guys got there...

...just an idea for those who are trying to maximize the day.

Poohgyrr
March 3, 2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, food ? How about a breakfast around 8:30 to 9:30 or so then shoot.

Topgun
March 3, 2003, 02:26 PM
Oh please.....ribs......in Woodland......only another 10 miles.....ribs.

Luscious, messy, bone-bucket.......savory RIBS!

And significant others can SPLIT a full order.

But.....then again.....maybe the ......ribs..... are TOO GOOD for our motley crew.

Takes a real SHOOTER to handle .... RIBS!

MEAT....on BONES! Not a good meal for the meek.

:scrutiny:

Topgun
March 3, 2003, 02:34 PM
Since we are MEMBERS now of YSA, we took the daughter, son-in-law and 4 grandkids there yesterday. They were having a cowboy shoot but we got there too late and it was over.

2 of the kids had never shot before. I took my Win 52 and they shot the snot out of the 50 yard targets and got REALLY excited. That gun sorta lets em cheat and use the 12x Unertl to put em ALL in the center.

Incidentally, YSA is a NRA sanctioned range where you can shoot a match and become eligible to buy a DCM Garand.

I no longer have a Garand, but would like to arrange to borrow one to shoot in one of their upcoming matches. You don't have to WIN. Just participate in ONE shoot and be able to purchase a DCM gun.

Anyone have a Garand and want to arrange to ....um...."qualify" ....a bunch of us who want to get a DCM Garand?

Next match for that is March 8th.

Next shooter please.....uh wait, I have to borrow the gun.

Drjones
March 3, 2003, 02:37 PM
45R and others who are interested:

I am going to put the PG-only on my shottie, as they will let you shoot them there at their patterning board.

45R: you and I *HAVE* to do that this time!!!!!

:D :D

I can't wait!!!

Buy some shells, and I will too, k?

45R
March 3, 2003, 03:01 PM
WOW there are alot of things on the table right now.

The Big 3 Day Gun Show scheduled at at the Hilton Reno on 3-21,22, and 23.

The Shoot is on the 23rd.

We can definetly set something up for the morning.

If anyone is interested in coming out to the Reno show please let me know. It'd be nice to carpool or caravan.

45R

Sactown
March 3, 2003, 03:21 PM
YSA is a NRA sanctioned range where you can shoot a match and become eligible to buy a DCM Garand.

That's it. I'm joining this weekend when I go shoot. I have one of the new production Springfield M1 Garands, but I would love to get a CMP garand.

Topgun,

Do you have to shoot an M1 Garand or just show you've shot in some kind of competition? I guess I should go to the CMP site and read the requirements.

Topgun
March 3, 2003, 03:36 PM
Just looked on CMP site and now I am not sure what the Garand program is.

It looks like they are out of collector grade and the dinged ones (they call em "character") are 950-1100 bucks.

Can do as well at a gun show.

A note that those of us over 60 may not have to shoot to qualify.

MORE research is needed.

EXPERT advice solicited. Please.

45R
March 4, 2003, 01:12 PM
Too bad it wasnt a CA approved AR without the welded mag.:scrutiny:

Poohgyrr
March 4, 2003, 01:48 PM
Ribs, huh.......

Now that I'm drooling all over my shirt, ribs does sound good and I haven't been to that area for a long while......

9mmepiphany
March 4, 2003, 02:29 PM
hummm

if we had breakfast early and then went shooting...we'd have quite an appetite after...RIBS RIBS RIBS

45R
March 6, 2003, 12:50 PM
Well the results after Gumshoe4 changed his votes leaves us at 100 percent for Yolo Sportsmans Association.

A few people wanted to meet up for a big breakfast!!!
Throw lead the rest of the morning then go for ribs sometime in the afternoon.

I am all over that idea!!!!!

What fine establishment would y'all like to meet at Sunday morning?

45R
March 12, 2003, 01:33 PM
Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

REMEMBER THE BUILDING IS A FIREARM FREE ZONE. DO NOT TAKE YOUR GUNS INSIDE OTHERWISE YOU COULD BE EJECTED FROM THE RANGE.

From Sacramento
80W towards San Francisco
CA 113 North Towards Woodland
Road 29 Exit Make a Right on County Rd 29
Left of Aviation, if you Cross County Rd 95 you have gone too far.

Please confirm directions, I dont want anyone to get lost. http://maps.yahoo.com/

Sven may be making an appearance.
Directions from Yahoo.
1-6 from Sacramento
7. Continue on I-80 WEST
8. Take the CA-113 NORTH exit towards WOODLAND
9. Merge on CA-113 NORTH 4.2
10. Take the ROAD 29 exit 0.2
11. Turn Right on COUNTY ROAD 29 4.9
12. Turn Left on AVIATION AVE 0.2

It has four 7yrders,a multiple 25yrd pistol/rifle ranges. It has a 50yrd and 100yrd rifle ranges. You can shoot your pistol at the 50yrd line also. You get one or two targets for non-members, included in your range fees. There is also archery range and fishing (although I've never seen anyone fish). There is also a specialty range used for Cowboy Action shooting. $7 for non-members. $1 for members.

There are 2 skeet range, three trap ranges and 5 stand range. Trap can be setup to be regular, regular doubles, wobble and wobble doubles. I believe it costs, $4.50 for round of 25 for non-members. $3 for non-members.

BTW, if you want to become a member ($40), now is the time to do it, the membership year started Feb 1...you need to go to the pistol/rifle range 7 times (7x$6=$42 saving) and you'll make your money back. Each round of clays you save $1.50.

Sactown
March 12, 2003, 02:48 PM
I became a member last Sunday. There was some kinda action pistol shoot going on. All I heard all day was rapid fire. It doesn't seem too crowded on Sundays. I'll bring my STI Trojan out this time as well as the Blaser. BYOA.

bamf
March 12, 2003, 06:43 PM
It was IPSC, held 2nd sunday of each month

gumshoe4
March 13, 2003, 01:27 PM
Just to make sure-I know it's on Sunday, 03-23-2003.

What time and where are we meeting?

Bob
TFL# 8032

45R
March 13, 2003, 02:30 PM
Did anyone want to meet for breakfast Sunday morning or shoot till our gums turn blue from all the lead the bone up on iron from the ribs?

Suggestions:

1)Meet around 9am for breakfast....shoot at 10/10:30ish, then head out for ribs?
2)Meet at YSA at 10:30, Shoot and have ribs afterwords
3)Meet at YSA at Noon, shoot then have ribs......?

I am all for number (1)

9mmepiphany
March 13, 2003, 03:19 PM
i'm REALLY gonna make this one...

and i'm up for number 1... unless the baby's fussing overrules me

45R
March 13, 2003, 03:28 PM
Does anyone that is coming have a pistol chambered in .357Sig? or .50AE. If so please bring it out!

I'm bringing my digitial camera this time for the shoot!

(secretly loads Turkey shot into Dr. Jones PG shotgun :evil: Just kidden)

50 Freak
March 13, 2003, 04:01 PM
Sorry guys I can't make it. Trust me, as I sit here in Bangkok, Thailand surrounded by beautiful women I am shedding a tear. But seriously I will be either in Cambodia or Laos at the time of the shoot. (I could tell you what I'm doing there, but I'd have to kill all of you, and I don't want to do that, as bullets are expensive now a days). Especially those little 50bmg rounds.

Next time you guys have the shoot, I'll bring my Benelli M3. All I have to say about the M3, is once you have that shotgun, there is no need to buy anyother. Maybe I'll bring my FAL "sniper" if I ever get a chance to send it out to be built.

Anyways, I have to go, the women around here are demanding my attention.....

And if you believe that.....I've got some serious stock in Enron I'd be happy to sell you.

Regards from BangKocK

:neener: :neener: :neener:

50 Freak
March 13, 2003, 04:05 PM
Almost forgot, I'll bring my brand new CCW so you guys can all drool for a while. :neener: :evil: :neener:

gumshoe4
March 13, 2003, 04:24 PM
I vote for #1.

Bob
TFL# 8032

9mmepiphany
March 13, 2003, 04:28 PM
i'm not too familar with the area, where's a place for breakfast out that way?

50 Freak
March 13, 2003, 04:46 PM
I had a AR upper chambered in 458 socom. That was a little fire breather. got rid of it, ammo was very expensive and I don't reload.

I have a 357 mag revolver and a 7.62x25 tok pistol. That baby is hot. Is that what you are looking for 45R?????

45R
March 13, 2003, 05:14 PM
7.62 X 25 sounds good to me.

I've just been real curious how that .357Sig round shoots. :)

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger, I'll shoot it :)

bamf
March 13, 2003, 05:30 PM
i'm not too familar with the area, where's a place for breakfast out that way?

There's a new IHOP in Davis (Richards Exit), along with Abe's Grill right off of 80 (Mace Exit).

Sven
March 14, 2003, 12:49 AM
May not be able to make this month's meet. Planning on starting a Bay Area regular get together - maybe somewheres outdoors (versus Reed's, where I've met folks before).

Sactown
March 14, 2003, 01:18 AM
maybe somewheres outdoors (versus Reed's, where I've met folks before).

The Los Altos Bait and Rod Club has really nice shooting facility. The 100yd ranges do get full early. The tin can range is a blast and they let your fire .22 rapid fire at the cans and bottles.

Sven
March 14, 2003, 01:37 AM
The tin can range is a blast and they let your fire .22 rapid fire at the cans and bottles.

SHOCK! HORROR!

Sounds like a hell of a place... I'll have to check it out, soon!

45R
March 14, 2003, 02:26 AM
Heheeh you have havent been to Spenceville then :)

Topgun
March 14, 2003, 02:31 PM
I have decided to become the range officer at Spenceville.

1. No rapid firing at a rate faster than the gun will operate.

2. No shooting at other shooters.

3. Targets must be somewhere in front of shooter.
Exception: shooting over shoulder while sighting thru mirrors
or firing at sudden noises behind shooter.

4. All trash shall be shot.

5. When firing at glass, shooters shall wear shoes.

6. "Skipping" targets shall be limited to area in front of mountain
and no farther than 400-500 yards.

7. Yelling shall be confined to the area within the state.

8. Aerial targets may not be "tracked" below shooting bench.

9. Shooters with automatic weapons shall watch for cops.

10. All rules shall be strictly enforced.

:D :what: :evil:

pittspilot
March 16, 2003, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately I will also miss this meet.

I am going to SoCal to see the folks :( Well, I like the folks, so it is not that sad.

P.S. Abe's Cafe is good eating.

45R
March 17, 2003, 01:36 AM
On the way back from Salinas I saw this today.....WOW lucky Dog!!! Traveling Speed Approx 70mphhttp://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/45R/dog%20copy.jpg

45R
March 17, 2003, 03:55 AM
High Road Tags

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=101256

45R
March 17, 2003, 12:51 PM
3-32-03
Breakfast at IHOP
Time: 9:30am

Located

IHOP Restaurant
1745 Cowell Blvd
Davis, CA 95616

530-750-0170

http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/site/3/01767.gif
http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/site/2/01767.gif http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/site/2/01767.gif

Call for directions. That way nobody gets lost of left behind. :)

Meet at YSA around 11:15am.

Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

REMEMBER THE BUILDING IS A FIREARM FREE ZONE. DO NOT TAKE YOUR GUNS INSIDE OTHERWISE YOU COULD BE EJECTED FROM THE RANGE.

. Then afterwords we go for the all mighty Ribs

45R
March 18, 2003, 11:02 PM
Changed Breakfast to 9:30am and meet up at the shoot at 11:15am.

45R
March 19, 2003, 02:42 PM
Roll Call The shoot is in 4 Days. Who is going to be there. :)

Drjones
March 19, 2003, 02:56 PM
*raises hand*

:)

9mmepiphany
March 19, 2003, 02:59 PM
it is almost a completely positive "most likely"... i'll be bringing two friends...unless they flake

drjones - did i understand you've developed a new appreciation for wheel guns? if true, i'll turn you into a convert with my python.

Topgun
March 19, 2003, 03:18 PM
looks likely. I am coming from Woodland side so will be at range or shortly after.

UNLESS.........it ....RAINS.

Rain will make the trap range miserable for all who wanted to shoot shotguns.

Dunno about the yardage ranges.....soggy targets...BLAM...sploop!

Also sposed to be WINDY. ugh.

Time will tell. Could just skip to RIBS.

Drjones
March 19, 2003, 03:31 PM
drjones - did i understand you've developed a new appreciation for wheel guns? if true, i'll turn you into a convert with my python.

Yes I have, sir, but please don't show me your python!!!

I'm spending too much lately as it is!!!

;)

Sven
March 19, 2003, 03:56 PM
Only about a 15% chance I will make it - this month.

Poohgyrr
March 19, 2003, 04:47 PM
I should be there.....:cool:

Topgun
March 19, 2003, 04:50 PM
I will bring my M66. You will like it better and find out why I sold my Pythons.

AND....it's .....cheaper.

Pythons ARE nice, but I just don't like the Colt action. They are accurate but so is the K-frame.

And the K just ....feels....better to me.

rick_reno
March 19, 2003, 04:59 PM
I saw mention of a Reno Gun Show in here. Anyone know where it is? I'm staying with a friend in Sacramento and it'd be nice to smell some gun oil before I head back to Idaho.

thks...rick

45R
March 19, 2003, 07:53 PM
Rick_Reno-
The Reno Show is going to be held the 21/22/23 at the Reno Hilton this month. PM me if you need more details. I'll be attending the show.

45R

50 Freak
March 20, 2003, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone, and greetings from Phenom Phen, Cambodia. Just saw the killing fields today, very very sad. :(

Did want to tell you though, that if i can figure a way to bring one back, AK's here are about $20-$30 bucks. :evil:

Am going to a range tomorrow. Hoping to rent a RPG, will post later if I am successful at shooting one.

Bet that would be a big hit at the next Yolo Shoot....

Sactown
March 20, 2003, 01:41 PM
50 Freak,

Can we get pictures of you firing that RPG if you're able to rent one?

50 Freak
March 20, 2003, 02:28 PM
Darn betting I will. I'm also thinking of renting the grenade launchers. :evil:

God I love these small third world countries sometimes. Am missing the US though. :(

It may have its faults but there is no place like it anywhere.

45R
March 20, 2003, 03:26 PM
I always wanted to say "Fire in the hole" :eek:

Have a fun time and shoot safe!!

45R

50 Freak
March 21, 2003, 12:23 PM
Well, I didn't shoot the RPG:( , it cost $100 bucks and they didn't allow us to shoot the cows anymore.:( :( so I figured what the use. I threw a grenade instead (it was a little disappointing, only cost $20). but I did have fun shooting the AK and M16 in auto today.

45R
March 21, 2003, 02:15 PM
Man that RPGs an expensive shooter. Well at least you got to make things go booom!!

Well guys I am off to NV today. I'll see you all Sunday morning around 11. Most of you guys have my number. Call me if you need me. See you all Sunday (Weather Permitting)

If for some reason it rains hard Saturday night everyone PM me and I'll try to get back to you. If it rains Sunday then we will have to reschedule for the following week or next month. So tonight everyone go out to the beach. Run around naked, howl at the moon with your guns in your hands and do a little good weather dance. :evil: (If you do this I have some land in Mars that will blossom in 10 years that I can sell you for Cheap Cheap)

See you guys soon!

45R

Drjones
March 21, 2003, 03:08 PM
:eek:

That's right!!!

The shoot is on SUNDAY!!!!

*smack head*

I was gonna be there TOMORROW!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder, 45R!!!!!!!!

45R
March 21, 2003, 03:50 PM
If you would have showed up Saturday you would have been sitting around with glass or ammo. :) Good to see that you checked the tread. See you SUNDAY!!!

45R

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 22, 2003, 03:01 AM
There is supposed to be some rain Sunday morning and none Saturday. I have been to my ranch and have a load of unlubed 45 068 lino alloy bullets and a few thousand 38 ammo for wifey and friends to try. Some 45 too depending what my grandson loaded me up with. I have a lifetime supply of unlubed bullets for fellows that have their own lubers. I used to operate 2 Bulletmaster machines.. My wifey and a couple of my Star Reloaders Group members and friends hope to stop by.

I also have some new micronized Moly oil used by the army that was sent to me to test for my Star Reloaders list. If I get some time to copy some informative flyers. It will be written up in the American rifleman soon. I think it will be great for gun bores instead of bullets and maybe for my Star Reloaders group machines to seriously cut friction. I am supposed to test it and report back to the factory. It will make moly coating of bullets obsolete.

Interesting idea by the Parsec group that will be marketing it to civilians. It is a secret government formula as to how it is made. Interesting. I am not selling it just showing it off.

John Paul Star Reloaders Group

Topgun
March 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
The rib joint is Ludy's in Woodland. About 10 miles north on 113 and hang a left at Woodland's Main Street.

It's on the north side of the street just as the "downtown" begins.

You can find it by asking or smelling.

May be there, but not sure.

Poohgyrr
March 22, 2003, 10:16 PM
Some family business has come up and I'll likely miss Sunday's THR shoot..... I'll be thinking of you guys :(******

45R
March 23, 2003, 05:38 AM
1:30am 3/23/03

Just got back from Reno. WOW when those guys say gun show they mean it. Alot of cool stuff was at the show. MP5PWDs, Barrets, AR15s (lots of them) no beef jerky. :)

Ran into snow on the way back!!!!!!! Then rain and fog at the same time. Wierd how that happens.

It showered pretty good on the way back. The Yahoo forcast is predicting rain. If it does lets reschedule the shoot for the next week. We dont want to get our nice toys wet do we.. :) I'll be up by 07:00 so if you guys get this early enough PM me.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 23, 2003, 09:50 AM
I am the closest to the shoot Yolo shoot and it has been raining since 10pm saturday nite. It is about 6am here and still raining so the shoot is off for my family.

The forcast last night was for rain most of the day with possibility of snow on the mountains toward Reno. Lake Berryessa is actually overflowing the glory hole .for the first time in decades

So hope next weekend is better.

This will give me the chance to unload some of the weight from my truck. I always come back from the family ranch very heavy with goodies.

Now if I can just find where my gun cleaning supplies box is!!

John Paul

45R
March 23, 2003, 11:18 AM
Its 07:15 and looks pretty wet outside. I can remember myself saying in my sleep "I can hear it raining outside."

THE SHOOT IS RAINED OUT !!!!

Lets R/S for another day

Best!!!

45R

9mmepiphany
March 23, 2003, 08:07 PM
i got up, looked outside, saw the wet and the mud and rolled back over...

poor toys are going to feel unloved

Topgun
March 24, 2003, 01:02 PM
All soggy and miserable. And with that .50 cal shoot going on, it was a real mess.

The only consolation was when the Barrett team began giving free samples of the M82A1's to the damp crowd as thanks for showing up.

There weren't enough people there so I had to take two.

One I will use, the other I am going to make a lamp out of.

:evil: :D

45R
March 24, 2003, 03:27 PM
One can only wish that Barrett was giving away his .50s :)

How does the end of April or Early May sound as far as rescheduling the shoot?

QuarterBoreGunner
March 24, 2003, 10:09 PM
Sounds good to me; hey Drjones? You might get your AR wish after all! ;)

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 25, 2003, 01:11 AM
I will watch the local weather reports and advise of clear weekends. You can generally tell the weather from wherever you are but what job can you have where you can be wrong over 50% of the time and not get fired. Youall know the answer to that. John Paul

gumshoe4
March 25, 2003, 01:18 AM
You guys are weenies!!!:D

It was great out there on Sunday-lotsa good shootin'.

Almost got shot myself. Tell you guys more about it later.....suffice to say person next door had hot case down shirt, pointed gun at me and club house up range trying to get case out. Gumshoe4 very angry, but controlled temper and his muzzle and lived to tell about it.

And that was at a CONTROLLED range.:scrutiny:

Anyway, I guess 45R will poll us for the next shoot. I'm game whenever, although I probably won't go to Spenceville.

Bob
TFL# 8032

9mmepiphany
March 25, 2003, 01:17 PM
if we are still doing sundays, april 20th and may 1st are better for me. remember that may 11th is mother's day

45R
March 25, 2003, 11:32 PM
Gumshoe4-

That story was amazing!!! I'm glad to see that it had a good ending and not a catastrophic one. Sometimes I think everyone should have a hot casing do down there shirts to know what it feels like for all calibers of handguns.

I'm that you made it out without any .45Cal holes in you.

I've been on the burning hot casing side before. Over at the local indoor range I had a Winchester Wildcat casing do down my shirt and fall between the belt and were the shirt was tucked in. Jumped up and down doing a little dance with the pistol in my hand with finger off the trigger and gun aimed in a safe direction!!!!:what: My girlfriend witnessed the whole thing. Then laughed at me for the rest of the day. The scar is still there.....

The guys is seriously lucky you or anyone else on the range didnt give him a colonoscopy before his 50th birthday. Glad that all is well!

Everyone else whats a good month to R/S the shoot. After April 15th? or before that to blow off some steam?

Let me know and I'll get it set up!

Best

45R

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 3-22/23-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!