C&R Application question

PDA

Maxinquaye
October 9, 2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe you guys can help me with this one. I sent off an application for a C&R FFL and got a letter back saying that as part of the background check they came up with a DUI I got back in San Diego in 2000. They say they need a "final disposition of charges". However, a DUI is a misdemeanor (the only thing I've ever gotten other then a faw speeding tickets way back when). I thought only a felony or a violent misdemeanor would preclude you from getting an FFL...so why do they need this? I live in North Carolina now...how do I get a copy of the final disposition assuming this is legit? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R Application question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glocksman
October 9, 2004, 02:38 PM
I'd write the San Diego PD or the court that tried the case.
My guess is that they want the final disposition of charges because DUI can be a felony.

Valkman
October 9, 2004, 03:44 PM
I'd call the ATF people and find out exactly what it is they want - they seem to respond well to applicants calling with questions. They did not question my DUI but it's 22 years old now. Maybe if you expalin to them how it came out that will satisfy them.

Maxinquaye
October 9, 2004, 04:50 PM
OK, I'll give them a ring. Thanks guys!

NavajoNPaleFace
October 9, 2004, 04:58 PM
DON'T hassle the ATF.

When you send off those letters it appears challenging to them and, believe me, there are other ways and they are likely to 'sit down on you' and the approval might take forever.

Simply write to the court of jurisdiction (with as much identifying info as you might think to suffice) and ask them for documentation that shows the court disposition.

Then, send that to BATF.

However, most courts will not acknowledge your written request since they have no factual way of knowing the requester is, in fact, the person on the report.

They may well ask you to furnish documented proof (notarized signature, etc.) to show you are who you are.

Some will want you to make the request personally where they will ask for identification.

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R Application question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!