HK 91 -questions about one

PDA

Hannibal
October 10, 2004, 03:55 AM
Any experts on the HK91? Looking at a real HK91 for around $1800. Don't know much about these rifles. Heard they are very reliable but kind of Spartan brutal. Appears to be in good shape except claw marks on receiver. Bore looks great. Had owner take it apart. Looks like bolt/carrier has some discolorations- not bright/shiny. Normal? Also when he reassemble it I notice that the lower pistol grip assemble seems to move back/forth even with pins in place. Normal for this movement? Guess I am used to no play of FAL. Owner also has a port buffer and carry handle- not on rifle. Told me that they ruin the receiver- scar it up/difficult to remove- will throw in but do I want these on the gun? Advice please!!! Thanks.
Han

If you enjoyed reading about "HK 91 -questions about one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
October 10, 2004, 01:54 PM
Howdy Hannibal, and welcome aboard.

I had one for a short time back in the early 80s. Brute strong rifle and shockingly accurate for a service-grade autoloader...It just didn't fit into
my "User Friendly" criteria...mainly because of the hump on the receiver
and the way the rifle balanced. A personal matter, mainly...but the weapon itself was very good. The impressions that I got from others pretty much jived with mine, and other than that hump, there were no complaints over functional issues with any of the rifles.

I'll move this thread over to Rifle Country. Those guys over there can
give ya more information than I can from owning just the one.

Luck!

Tuner

Destructo6
October 10, 2004, 05:21 PM
Also when he reassemble it I notice that the lower pistol grip assemble seems to move back/forth even with pins in place.
A little fore/aft movement is pretty normal and a function of the clipped gripframe. Up/down movement can result in extraction failures.
Looks like bolt/carrier has some discolorations- not bright/shiny
Only the bolt head and parts of the triangular locking piece should be shiny. The face of the bolt head will be dark if it wasn't cleaned well after the last outing.

These images are pretty typical of G3 bolt assemblies:

http://home.att.net/~j.p.george/HK91/BOLT1.htm

http://home.att.net/~j.p.george/HK91/HK91_40.jpg

Dionysusigma
October 11, 2004, 12:27 AM
I'd recommend that you save your money and get a PTR-91 instead... they are the same thing, cost less than half as much, but don't say Hk on 'em.

another48hrs
October 11, 2004, 01:24 AM
Hannibal, I have a SAR3 similair to the rifle you described. The originial owner had a port buffer and carry handle installed. It doesn't seem that they have caused much wear to the receiver, but it looks like it may cause scratches if I ever try and take them off. The parts are like snap on parts that once they're on they need alot of leverage to get off and that means tools. I don't really have any use for the carry handle, but I can see the port buffer protecting the receiver from brass flying out. I have seen many G3 style rifles with claw marks, the only ones you don't see them on are rifles that never had to mount added on.

I'd recommend that you save your money and get a PTR-91 instead... they are the same thing, cost less than half as much, but don't say Hk on 'em.

I concur that there are some clones that you should look out for that are just as good as a HK. PTRs, SAR 3 or 8 (stamped steel version), and FMP G3S or XG3S. But an HK is an HK afterall.

I recentley saw a PTRK at a gunshow over the weekend and when I picked it up, I seriously said to myself "if I had only one rifle this would be it." It had great balance and good weight for a .308 carbine. If you haven't seen it it looks like an HK93, but in .308.

Harry Tuttle
October 11, 2004, 12:19 PM
woof:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/ptr_91_rifle.html
http://www.sarcoinc.com/guns14-4.html

Kestrel
October 11, 2004, 04:27 PM
I used to have one (HK91). Mine was accurate, robust and reliable. I didn't like the ergonomics, though. I didn't like the cocking handle - didn't like it's placement, nor it's awkwardness. I also didn't like the mag release location. When I owned mine, parts were exhorbitant, although they are a lot cheaper now. I also thought the sights could be a tad better.

If you do commit to the system, you can learn to be comfortable with it.

Steve

Hannibal
October 11, 2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for th input/advice. Got some thinking to do now.
Han

NMshooter
October 12, 2004, 03:36 PM
If you are buying it to shoot, put that case deflector on.

If you enjoyed reading about "HK 91 -questions about one" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!