LC surplus?

PDA

sigman4rt
October 10, 2004, 08:27 AM
My local dealer just got some LC surplus. It is mixed dates of 02 and 03. It comes bulk in a cardboard box with "FOR TRAINING USE ONLY" stamped on the side.It's kinda pricey at $100/500 rds. It was a deal he got through Lew Horton. Anybody know anything about this? Why for training only? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "LC surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mustanger98
October 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
sigman4rt, I assume you're talking about LC .223/5.56mm. $100/500rds is $20/100rds. That's $.10/rd or less- my math's kinda fuzzy this morning, but you won't get it that cheap getting the remanufactured stuff from Cabela's. The only way I know to shoot cheaper is either get surplus 8mm Mauser or a .22LR.

sigman4rt
October 10, 2004, 10:44 AM
The point was I can buy 1000 rds of Port. for $140. or 500 LC for $100. What bothered me was the "FOR TRAINING USE ONLY". What the heck does that mean? The Port. is in sealed battlepacks in sealed crates, the LC is two different years mixed and dumped into a non goverment box.Why would they be selling off as surplus ammo that is dated 2002 and 2003, only a year or two old? Makes me wonder whats wrong with it!!

sigman4rt
October 10, 2004, 10:47 AM
Forgot to mention. This was 7.62 ammo. The 5.56 ammo was $250. per 1000. also LC manufacture.

chink
October 10, 2004, 12:37 PM
mustanger98 your math is a little fuzzy that $0.20/rd which is a little pricey even out here in CA

AK103K
October 10, 2004, 12:45 PM
What bothered me was the "FOR TRAINING USE ONLY". What the heck does that mean?
Maybe it didnt meet the MOA spec or some other reason. It may be good enough for overhead fire, etc, and not issue.

mustanger98
October 10, 2004, 07:37 PM
Fuzzy math not withstanding (that's what happens when I try to think out loud- I'm usually off a dollar or a dime and I couldn't get my PC's calculator to work), now that we know it was 7.62 and for sure what the prices are and compared with Port, blah blah blah, no, it's not a good deal.

FWIW, I got 1Krds of S&B .223 (M193 ball) for $250 with a six-pack of .30cal ammo cans for $250 from Cheaperthandirt.com which by most accounts I know of, ain't cheaperthandirt. I beat this one local "honest-so-and-so's-used-guns" by the price of the ammo cans and GA sales tax when shipping was figured in, whereas if I'd bought it from them it would have been $250 +tax.

7.62- ain't bought any. Now if it was 7.62x63... Hey, go to http://www.odcmp.com and last I knew they had 7.62- compare their prices. But you may well not beat Port.

phxtravis
October 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
if I remember correctly the "for trainning use only" just indicates that it is not for use in the field, ie Police use.

Houndawg
October 11, 2004, 01:54 AM
From what I hear this stuff is from contract overruns. The "For Training Purposes Only" stamp is just a legal thing they have to use. It doesn't mean anything as far as ammo performance goes. The military can't use it because it wasn't sold to them and delivered to an Ammunition Supply Point (ASP). A military unit can't use any ammo not requisitioned specifically for the unit from the ASP (in peace time. In a war situation you use whatever you can get your hands on).

If you enjoyed reading about "LC surplus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!