annoying gun range -- Houston area

PDA

Steel
October 11, 2004, 05:58 PM
Whenever I have been in the area, I have used the rifle range at the Hot Wells Gun Range (NW Houston, TX) for a number of years now. I has had a low-key, non-intrusive vibe to it that I liked and I have not encountered the gomers or immature gang wannabees or overzealous range staff that can be found on some ranges.

Anway, I decided to try a new Colt Govt on their handgun range. When I got there, a staff member says to all concerned that rapid firing is prohibited -- no problem, I don't really care to do that anyway. Then he says, no double tapping. I thought that was lame, but respected their rules anyway, but couldn't help but think to myself that a fairly well received defensive pistolcraft principal is the double tap. Many small arms "tactical" schools/school of thought advocate this. Even so, I complied with the rule, as did the four other handgun shooters on my flanks. However, we kept hearing, by way of their louspeaker, to refrain from double-tapping. There was no double taps from our area. My theory is that, from the audible vantage point of the shop, that the cadence of shots from different shooters, with shots "ontop" of each other, made it sound like double taps (e.g. 5 people, some with the same calibers = sounds like firings from same gun or guns).

Any of you ran across this?

If you enjoyed reading about "annoying gun range -- Houston area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlkHawk73
October 11, 2004, 06:16 PM
I've heard of other places having similar rules. Guess that's why I remain a member of a member's only gun club. Do need to worry about over-restrictive rules. I'll be heading to the Houston area in DEC, guess I'll know NOT to stop in Hot Wells. (I'll be on the southern side of Houston anyways)

spacemanspiff
October 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
audible alone, they probably couldnt tell if anyone was double tapping. but if they are watching as well as listening, they will know who is breaking their rules.

Gifted
October 11, 2004, 06:25 PM
The range I went to shoot with my dad has a rule for three seconds between shots. As it's mostly used by hunters for their rifles, it's not too big of a deal. I think it's mostly muzzle control(there at least).

R.H. Lee
October 11, 2004, 06:29 PM
I don't understand why they have a problem with rapid fire or double tapping. Could someone 'splain it to me? :confused:

Zundfolge
October 11, 2004, 06:35 PM
I don't understand why they have a problem with rapid fire or double tapping. Could someone 'splain it to me?

Idiots attempting "double taps" or "rapid fire" will destroy target stands and shoot over the berms (or at least thats the fear).

R.H. Lee
October 11, 2004, 06:37 PM
OK. That makes sense.

bytor94
October 11, 2004, 07:13 PM
The next time you go to an indoor range, look at the ceiling closely. Notice all the holes there? Too many people try to rapid fire and end up with the gun pointed anywhere but downrange.

WhoKnowsWho
October 11, 2004, 07:48 PM
Too many people try to rapid fire and end up with the gun pointed anywhere but downrange.

The indoor range has holes in the ceiling, but also holes in some of the bay dividers. :uhoh:

We have seen one of the lamps busted too, wonder if they had to pay for that? I would hope so.

Amish_Bill
October 11, 2004, 10:03 PM
Last range trip I was barely holding down to the 1 round a second rule. I know they were paying attention though, because when I was checking out he had a comment about what I was doing ot the middle of my target. :-)

Must have video surveilance there.

If you enjoyed reading about "annoying gun range -- Houston area" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!