Enfield jungle carbine ?

PDA

deereman
October 11, 2004, 08:03 PM
I know some one who has one for sale. $150.00 1947 vintige, no.5 mk.1, nice wood, looks like blueing is in nice shape also. He has owned it for over 30 years. Are they worth any thing? Also how do they shoot in general?

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield jungle carbine ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
October 11, 2004, 08:08 PM
This is a good price for a genuine No. 5 carbine (not a cut-down rifle.)

The No. 5 has a not-so-good reputation as a shooter. The British were unable to keep them zeroed, and traced the "wandering zero" problem to lightening cuts in the receiver. For the price, however, buy the gun, shoot it, and if you can't keep it zeroed, you can probably sell it to a collecter for more than you paid for it.

deereman
October 11, 2004, 08:14 PM
How can you tell if it has been cut down? It has a 20.5 inch barrel and is marked no.5 mk.1 on the receiver also I noticed the serial number on the rec is the same as bolt.

SMLE
October 11, 2004, 08:16 PM
If it's a "real" No 5 that's a great deal. There were a few fakes made up in the 50s. Look for any marking that includes "Santa Fe Arms" or "Golden State". That will tell you it's a fake. But even a fake is worth $150 bucks if it's in good shape.

I had a 1945 BSA made JC and it was a very good shooter. I have found that the "wandering zero" legend is mostly BS. While the #5 isn't going to win you many medals at Camp Perry, it's plenty accurate for what it was built for and is a very good deer rifle "as-is".

deereman
October 11, 2004, 08:29 PM
All I see is tiny proof marks on all the peices and .303-2.222 with a couple of tiny proofs on the barrel. The reciever is stamped No.5 MK1 (F) 1/47 Z3xxx

SMLE
October 11, 2004, 08:40 PM
"No.5 MK1 (F) 1/47 Z3xxx" That soulds like a legit #5. Made at ROF Fazakerly in 1947. The "303 2.222" is a British comercial proof that was put on rifles sold out of service.

deereman
October 11, 2004, 08:46 PM
SMLE, I also notice something else stamped or rollmarked under the .303-2.222. It looks like it says 18.5 tons pfr. very hard to make out due to roll mark only made the to 2/3's of the letters.

Dave Markowitz
October 11, 2004, 08:50 PM
The reference to 18.5 tons is another proof mark.

2.222 is the length in inches of the .303 British case.

$150 is a very good price for a No.5 in the condition you describe. If you don't like it you could sell it and make a profit.

BryanP
October 11, 2004, 08:52 PM
deereman,

You might want to dig around here:

http://www.aloofhosting.com/enfieldrifles/

Follow the link on that page to the section called Part One - General History (http://www.aloofhosting.com/enfieldrifles/gh.htm) and you will see multiple pages explaining the markings on Enfield rifles.

Wildalaska
October 11, 2004, 08:52 PM
Enough already just buy it, or gimme the guys phone number :)

WilditstheultimaterifleAlaska

DMK
October 11, 2004, 08:55 PM
I agree with the other posters that you wouldn't have any trouble selling it if you didn't like it. I just sold mine (which wasn't in really great shape) over the summer and not only did it go quick, but I had quite a few folks emailing me even after it was already gone.

People really like them because they are a unique Enfield and look so cool.

deereman
October 14, 2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I bought it today after getting the history of that particular rifle. It actually was accuired in Canada in the early sixties by a Canadian MP who moved to the states shortly there after. I can't find any Canadian marks on it, just English proofs on all the visible pieces. I can't wait to get to the range and come home with a soar shoulder. Thanks again for the info.

MrMurphy
October 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
They are interesting pieces, however, lots of recoil, and yes, some do have a wandering zero. I've shot two, one of them changed zero between stripper clips it seemed like.

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield jungle carbine ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!