Oopsie with a mosin

PDA

Silent-Snail
October 12, 2004, 07:35 AM
A couple of months ago I was moving and misplaced a MN 91/30(it spent the time in a storage shed). Found it yesterdayand boy is it a mess.:banghead: The whole flippin barrel is corroded, and I dont think I can get it to a point where I would feel safe shooting it. Any advice on what would both a cheap and effictive means of fixing this? And yes i am aware that I should have done a better job at cleaning it. :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Oopsie with a mosin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hillbilly
October 12, 2004, 08:01 AM
Yeah, it's pretty easy.

Go drop $75 and get another one.

Some surplus houses have various Mosins on sale for as low as $59.99 now.

hillbilly

hillbilly
October 12, 2004, 08:03 AM
But seriously, what do you mean by "corroded?"

Are we talking surface rust here?

How on earth would one month's time in a storage shed make a Mosin unsafe to shoot?

Maybe a month in an acid bath, but certainly not surface rust from being in a storage shed for a month.

If you got some digital pics, post them.

hillbilly

Scottmkiv
October 12, 2004, 08:05 AM
I'm guessing he shot corrosive ammo through it, and then let it sit for a month.

Silent-Snail
October 12, 2004, 08:50 AM
Got it in one Scott and I'm still banging my head against the metal buttplate of that mosin. :banghead: I give myself a thousand Blargs
In my stupidity i assumed that corrosive meant that the ammo itself would corrode:banghead: Oh well live and learn.

George S.
October 12, 2004, 11:10 AM
First I would try to clean the barrel as best as you can. Use a brass brush and plenty of bore cleaner initially to get the big chunks out. Then plug up the muzzle and pour some bore cleaner in the barrel and let it sit for a few hours. Drain and pass the brush thru again keeping the bore soaked with cleaner. Repeat this a few times. Run some dry patches thru and see what it looks like.

What shape is the bolt face in? Get a brass or bronze cleaning brush from an auto shop and soak the bolt face in cleaner and gently scrub the face. Take the bolt apart and look for any evidence of corrosion.

After doing this, it might be worth having a 'smith check out the bore and offer his opinion. Mosin's are cheap to purchase, so a replacement is easy to get. But then, you cannot have just one Mosin!! Get a couple!! Maybe a M38 or M44 to keep the 91/30 company.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oopsie with a mosin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!