Would like to build a .308 Scout for under $500

PDA

KarbineKrazy
October 12, 2004, 03:48 PM
I want to build a .308 scout rifle for under $500 including the scope.

I would kind of like to have the use of either stripper clips or a detacheable mag and I want something with a barrel of 18-20 inches.

Parts availability is important and I want it to have pistol gripped stock, not a straight military stock.

Up until now, all my rifle shooting has been with a scoped Marlin Camp 9, a Ruger 10/22 w/ a 4x, a Winchester M70 w/ a 3-9, a mini 14 w/ both a foward mounted red dot and open sights.

I'd like to have something kind of between the mini 14 and my 30-06. Can I make it shoot into 5 inches @ 300 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like to build a .308 Scout for under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
unreal45
October 12, 2004, 04:00 PM
You could get a Saiga .308 AK and put a millet scope mount (http://www.gunaccessories.com/Millet/MilitaryRifle/index.asp) on it.
It replaces the rear sight with a scout type scope mount.
I have one on a SKS. It was really hard to install :banghead:
but it is sturdy once you loc tite it.

No4Mk1
October 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
My suggestion would be an Ishapore 2A or 2A1 that has already been chopped, and work up from there. Not sure about the pistol-grip, but otherwise a very good Scout platform.

If you aren't married to 308, you could start with just about any bubba'ed Enfield out there, and there are lots to choose from. The 303 Brit is comparable to the 308 in performance and these rifles are far more common and inexpensive.

mainmech48
October 12, 2004, 04:25 PM
Another couple of options, FWIW: Ishapore SMLE, either already altered to "Jungle Carbine" size by Gibbs et al, or as-issued and in nice shape.

Or find one of the Spanish FR-8 'Guardia Civil' Mausers. '96s converted to 7.62x51 IIRC and imported in some substantial numbers a couple of years back.

Either one could serve as the basis for what you want and still come in under your $500 figure with some judicious aftermarket trolling.

Hope that this is of help.

Slingster
October 12, 2004, 04:32 PM
I'd try to find a Savage Scout.

AK103K
October 12, 2004, 05:34 PM
I'd try to find a Savage Scout.
Ditto that. The Savage out of the box will out shoot all but the fluke military gun and you dont have to do a thing to it. Mine has a great trigger right out of the box, back up iron(peep) sights, a removable mag(I do wish it was stripper capable instead, but I'm not really bitching. :) ) and a over sized bolt knob. It will shoot sub MOA groups with my reloads all day long, prone off a bi pod. Add a Leupold Scout scope and a Ching sling and your cooking.

Sistema1927
October 12, 2004, 06:49 PM
Why "already chopped"?

I purchased an Ishapore 2A1 with terrible wood for $80, and my local gunsmith charged me $19 to chop the barrel to 19" and recrown it.

After adding a synthetic stock, scope mount, and (cheap) LER pistol scope I am right at $300.

I wondered if the cheapo scope would work, planning to spend more if it didn't, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it holds zero and gives me 2" groups at 100 yds. using surplus Aussie or Portugese ammo.

KarbineKrazy
October 12, 2004, 06:58 PM
Where would I possibly find a Savage Scout? I didn't think they made them anymore.

Any possibility I could put a would stock on it?

No4Mk1
October 12, 2004, 09:43 PM
Why "already chopped"?

Because there are so many already in that condition, and I don't like to encourage people to chop more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a holier than thou purist, just don't see the point in modifying a milsurp if there is an alternative.

Where would I possibly find a Savage Scout? I didn't think they made them anymore.

Correct. You'll have to look for a used one or contact their custom shop. I understand that they will still make them to order.

BTW, I have a Savage Scout in 308 and have to concur with the analysis above. Mine will also shoot sub-MOA all day long with good fodder, and will even hold under 2-inches with milsurp ammo. My only complaint is the 4-round magazine and no stripper guide.

Preacherman
October 13, 2004, 07:25 AM
You could try Scoutman (http://www.scoutman308.com/index.php). You can buy one of his rifles, or send him yours for conversion. I've got a .308 Lee-Enfield of his, and it's pretty good work. Robby's prices are a bit higher than your budget, but if you look at the amount and quality of work he does, I don't think they're unreasonable.

Master Blaster
October 13, 2004, 08:21 AM
Here is my Saiga, I have a Russian PSOP scope on my .223 version, which is not shown in the picture. It uses a side mount with a quick detach lever.
You can still use the iron sights with the scope mounted, or flip the lever and take the scope off. The .308 16" barrel version holds 9 rounds at the moment, but EAA is importing the 20 rounders soon. The .223 16" barrel version holds 11 rounds but will have 30 rounders availible if you need more ammo. Made by Izmash in Russia, a gas operated AK action.

I like the rifle stocked version, but you could do a pistol grip if you change out the gas piston and fire control group, to meet the Bush I import ban requirements. I like how the rifle stock looks and feels though, much better than the AK stock with a grip on my SAR-1.

The scope is availible for around $100, its a fixed 4X scope with a lighted recticle and rangfinder. The rifle $220 to $300 retail depending on caliber. Add a military sling and you are ready to go.

The perfect modern scout with lots of firepower, short and handy, and reasonable weight.

Accuracy is 1.5 MOA with a good handload, 2-3 moa with russian wolf ammo.http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1291217

KadicDeshi
October 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
If you are considering the saiga, you might want to take a look here:
www.ultimak.com

They make a gas tube replacement for the AK that has an integral weaver rail. The saiga .308 can take a normal AK gas piston that has been slightly shortened, so I'm pretty sure the ultimak tube will also work. I've been considering going this route myself for a little while now.

Barrett

Edited to add: Also, check out http://forum.saiga-12.com There is quite a bit of information there about the technical and legal sides of conversion to pistol grip. That's where I came across pretty much everything I know about the saiga.

Sistema1927
October 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
No4MkI:

Have you seen some of the Ishapores on the racks these days? The one I purchased had just about the worst wood I have ever seen on any rifle. Great huge gouges missing out of it, and cracked to boot. I did that rifle a big favor by liberating it from that stock and getting the barrel professionaly shortened.

I would never advocate anyone altering a decent piece of history, but I believe that it will be easier to find a rifle needing some sporterization than one that has already had the treatment. Besides, any weapon that has already had some work on it isn't going to sell for under $100.

No4Mk1
October 13, 2004, 11:27 AM
Sistema1927, agreed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like to build a .308 Scout for under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!