Surviving in Cape Town

PDA

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 05:11 AM
Hi there, just introducing myself and giving a little background as to why I joined this site. I am living in Cape Town, South Africa. The violent crime here is beyond belief. I have lost people I know to scum and my family has fallen victim to violent crime and intimidation more than once.

Recently, heavy gun restrictions have been clamped down, we have 3 firearms at home and 1 at the office. The legislature has made it basically impossible to own a gun for home defense. The new stance on human rights here means that if I kick the snot out of someone trespassing, I could be facing jail time.

I am always armed, either with a knuckle duster or a knife. I just refuse, completely refuse to be an easy target. Looking forward to meeting all of you, sorry if that seemed like a rant!

If you enjoyed reading about "Surviving in Cape Town" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Number 6
October 13, 2004, 05:28 AM
No apologies needed in my opinion. Nothing is more frustrating than a government that forces people to be victims, and that forbids people from protecting themselves and their property. I am truly sorry about hearing about those close to you falling victim to such terrible acts. I was recently in that part of the world and am thankful for the rights and safety that I have in the U.S. Be safe and I am glad to see you here.

Rich K
October 13, 2004, 05:35 AM
Welcome to The High Road.You are among friends.

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks number 6, it's just painful to live in fear. I accept the way things are here as a way of live, but I never realise how bizarre and wrong it actually is until I speak to people living overseas.

I am planning to settle elsewhere, Canada, U.S, Australia, they're all options.

EDIT: and thanks Rich K! It sure feels like it already.

trapperjohn
October 13, 2004, 06:32 AM
while I am all for self defense and the right to bear arms, and disagree with SA new gun laws.
I do have a problem with someone wanting to "kick the snot out of someone" for mere trespassing.

BTW, Canada and Australia wont be much better as far as gun laws are concerned.

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah okay. Trust me, nobody sets foot inside a persons house here unless they mean no good. The latest technique is to burgle the house while the owners are there, as the place is not as fort noxxed as it would be if they had gone out.

Jeff Timm
October 13, 2004, 06:45 AM
Flee while you still can. For reference, most Communist countries lock down to keep people in.

Yesterday may be too late.

For some sage advice try http://www.kimdutoit.com/dr/weblog.php he left U of SA some time back.

Geoff Timm
Who doesn't like to see another country go down the hell road to communism. Of course, if John Kerry wins, this country is going down. :fire:

trapperjohn
October 13, 2004, 06:46 AM
maybe our definition of trespassing is different. here, someone just walking across your property can be considered tresspassing. if someone breaks into your house here it is "breaking and entering" something completely different

Preacherman
October 13, 2004, 07:02 AM
Hi, Barb. I was born and raised in Cape Town, and have been in the USA for some time now. Nice to have another Kaapenaar around! :D

Warbow
October 13, 2004, 07:14 AM
Welcome!

Stay safe...

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks for making me feel welcome guys, much appreciated!

feedthehogs
October 13, 2004, 07:50 AM
Welcome.
Be safe.
Out of your future destinations, the US would be the wisest choice.

13A
October 13, 2004, 07:58 AM
Leave the country while you can. I see South Africa going down the same road as Zimbabwe.

Get out now.

Highpower1
October 13, 2004, 07:58 AM
Welcome to THR. you are among family here.

Jmurman
October 13, 2004, 07:59 AM
welcome!

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys, well, it has not become Zimbabwe yet. It is a fear among many. We are not under the control of a dictatorship for the moment. I think South Africa would come under much, MUCH international scrutiny if that happened. Especially after our leaders have spent the past 10 years blowing their trumpets about economic and social reform.

TarpleyG
October 13, 2004, 08:14 AM
SA has gone to hell since....well, you all know when.

One of my good friends blew out of there about 8 years ago but his parents and sister are still there.

The country is simply being driven into the ground by lawlessness. The fact that you can go to jail for defending yourself or your property is utter nonsense.

Greg

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 08:20 AM
Not only that pal, but get this: Cops are no longer allow to fire upon fleeing suspects. I kid you not. You know how little cops here earn? One bloke has been a cop for 14 years and he still only earns $ 600.00 a month. It's sick.

Gangs are everywhere too. I hate gangs.

HankB
October 13, 2004, 08:53 AM
What 13A said.

I've visited RSA and Zimbabwe, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening in those countries now.

Somewhere around 2010 or 2015, RSA will be about where Zimbabwe is now. And the whites that are still there will be only a little better off than Jews who didn't leave Germany during Hitler's rise. (I don't see actual death camps, gas chambers, or cremation ovens, but confiscation of property, disenfranchisement, official oppression, etc., are likely.)

I hope I'm wrong, but . . . :(

El Tejon
October 13, 2004, 08:54 AM
Welcome to THR, new friend.:)

I cannot believe that the productive people have not left and are still in Azania. Sad to see South Africa end up like this.:(

Onmilo
October 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
I have always felt that Cape Town was one of the most scenic cities in South Africa.
Too bad it has become like the cities in my neck of the planet, pretty to look at, but a place one would not wish to live in!

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys and yeah, it breaks my heart. It's a beautiful place, (nature wise, we got a lot of slums though) maybe if more people here stopped and took a look around them things would be better. Litter is also a major problem, but that's a whole topic to itself.

Psssniper
October 13, 2004, 11:24 AM
well theres always Orania:D
Just kidding!!

Ever hear of some friends of mine called "Peculiar People band"??

http://www.worshipmusic.com/3859718212.html

Barbarossa
October 13, 2004, 11:30 AM
No sorry, impressive though. The christian rock scene does have a good following here.

Standing Wolf
October 13, 2004, 02:11 PM
The new stance on human rights here means that if I kick the snot out of someone trespassing, I could be facing jail time.

Welcome to the High Road, friend.

That so-called "new stance on human rights" is a wanton, witting, unspeakably evil violation of human rights. It's a lie.

moa
October 13, 2004, 03:06 PM
What you appear to be living in has word coined for it: anarchotyranny.

Anarchy in the streets and tyranny by the Government. Probably one of the worse conditions to live under. Leave.

Also, if you plan on leaving, if possible open a foreign bank account. If people start leaving in droves, the Government might put restrictions on money transfers, if they have not done so already.

And welcome.

Skunkabilly
October 13, 2004, 03:21 PM
Welcome to THR but if you come to the United States, do not come to California!

We, along with several key states, are leading the country in stupidity.

Average Guy
October 13, 2004, 06:33 PM
Welcome! What Skunky said about California.

Come to think of it, the state is like a lot of the people who live here: Beautiful but stupid.

sigman69
October 13, 2004, 06:44 PM
Welcome.....I have friends that live in Joberg and Capetown(CapeTown didnt look as bad in the video)....dude Hillbrow in Joberg is really bad man......

Come on over to the US if your government will let you...my friend that lives in the Cape wasnt able to come over even after the interview and paying R100.00 because he wasnt married or owned property there...see he was told that he was a flight risk...he is a paramedic and white....

Hey we could use another pro gun here in the US!!!

John

HSMITH
October 13, 2004, 06:59 PM
Hi barbarossa. I visited Simonstown and Capetown in the early 90's. BEAUTIFUL scenery and some of the friendliest people I have encountered in the travels around the world I have made. I really enjoyed my time with South Africans and touring the area. I am sorry to hear that the crime is so high and the government so oppressive of your right to protect yourself and your family.

Daedalus
October 13, 2004, 08:13 PM
So what guns do you have? It seems like all the really cool shotguns come from South Africa.

westex
October 13, 2004, 08:14 PM
Barbarossa
I like several others here have spent time in your beautiful country. I spent several months there over a couple of years PM (preMandela). Most of my time was in Durban and the surrounding area. Great people. I still have friends there who I'm trying to help get out. It's a real shame what's happened to that country. It had the potential to be an economic powerhouse as well as a scenic wonder.

kudu
October 13, 2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome Barbarossa, like many others here I had the opportunity to hunt in your beautiful country in 1995. At the time my PH said it was just starting to go down the tubes. I'm sorry to hear it's so bad now.

What do you do for a living. You may want to put out job feelers if you get serious about moving out of the country.

roo_ster
October 13, 2004, 08:49 PM
Barbarossa:

Welcome.

If you're thinking of moving, you could move to Dallas, Texas. Everyone else has, judging by the traffic.

BTW, Texas is still pretty old school (Old Testament) WRT trespassing and B&E.

Stay safe down there in Capetown and be sure to bug out before they close the door & you don't have the option.

Maddock
October 13, 2004, 10:30 PM
Welcome to THR Barbarossa, you are among friends.

RevDisk
October 14, 2004, 06:24 AM
Heyo,

Had a buddy that was born in Zimbabwe, and fled to SA when things went really south there. I prefer to think that her stories were exaggerated, but... (Flamethrowers as security devices?) Apparently, SA was bad enough that her parents sent her to the US to live with relatives.

I hope things improve in SA, but I'd recommend trying to come here to the US. We need all the pro-gunnies we can get.

liner
November 9, 2004, 11:46 AM
get yourself a couple of big boerboels/ I have a male and female and they are very serious dogs.

pittspilot
November 9, 2004, 09:55 PM
Left Pretoria in 1984, and never looked back.

Good luck. I was back in 2000, and crime was just horrible.

And immigrating to the USA is very hard right now. We barely got out a family friend for a visit because of the tight visa requirements.

R.H. Lee
November 9, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hi, Barbarossa. Welcome to THR. Consider coming to California, we need more folks like you here. Don't pay attention to Skunk and Average Guy, they're just frustrated overacheiving ninjas. :p

Jaco
November 30, 2004, 06:46 AM
Ji Barbarossa! Waar in die Kaap is jy vandaan?

Cape Town is a nice and friendly city, you will be relieved of all your posessions and family with a smile from the scum and a smile from the police. I had to draw me wee little pistol a few times now, and am still surviving.

One positive point about this country is that it gives you experience in self defense, from experience in South Africa I now know that half of the advice given on forums like this is BS or not applicable to our situations, and the other half you can kick yer own arse that you haven't listened and learned.

Groetnis!

Jeff K
December 1, 2004, 06:35 PM
I spent my teen years in Johannesberg. I went to Damelin college in downton joberg. I have a few friends that I've kept in touch with over the years, and all but one have left the country because of the violence. Its sad to hear the stories about the country. I remember it being a wonderful country, never all that peaceful, but wonderful nontheless. I've heard about how downtown Joberg is a ghost town and that I wouldn't recognize anything if I were to go back. Too bad, I'd love to take my kid over there and show him where dad grew up, but unfortunately it will never happen.

Stay safe!

Steel
December 2, 2004, 01:32 PM
Welcome. We are Legion. Keep on thinking free. Molan Labe.

hagar
December 2, 2004, 08:21 PM
Another ex South African. Spent 5 years in upstate NY, 14 years in Arizona, and the last 18 months in SC/NC. If I had to leave South Africa today, I would go to New Zealand. While I do enjoy living in the US, it is fast becoming a "multicultural" society where eveything is permitted except self defence against the bad guys that prey on you. Couple that with big business that will sell out it's employees in a heartbeat and outsource their work overseas, really high health care and insurance, and it's not the paradise it once was. My visits to SA might be over, I will not go here without a handgun. If you ever shoot somebody there in self defence, remember the SSS rule. Shoot, shovel and shut up. The police are not your friends.

Groete,

hagar die verskriklike

Jaco
December 3, 2004, 01:16 AM
Jis Hagar!

While I do enjoy living in the US, it is fast becoming a "multicultural" society where eveything is permitted except self defence against the bad guys that prey on you.

Isnt this much worse in NZ and Oz?

DRZinn
December 3, 2004, 01:52 PM
That "new stance" on human rights involves placing one's head between one's ankles....

But seriously, you'll be welcome here in the last hope for a free society. Come as soon as you can. But not to California, New York, Massachusetts.....It shrinks all the time.

HankB
December 3, 2004, 02:03 PM
. . . my friend that lives in the Cape wasnt able to come over even after the interview and paying R100.00 because he wasnt married or owned property there...see he was told that he was a flight risk...he is a paramedic and white... Are you saying that RSA isn't letting white people even leave peacefully, they're prisoners in "their" own country? :uhoh:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but this sounds . . . ominous. Please tell us more about this incident.

fallingblock
December 4, 2004, 06:52 AM
I met a fellow shooter and escapee from S.A. in Auckland, N.Z. about the time of your first post.

While the U.S.A. may indeed be changing rapidly, the answer to
Jaco's question..
"While I do enjoy living in the US, it is fast becoming a "multicultural" society where eveything is permitted except self defence against the bad guys that prey on you."

Isnt this much worse in NZ and Oz?

Is YES!
There is NO self-defense justification to own firearms in either New Zealand on Australia. None. Government excepted, of course.

Hagar:

New Zealand takes great pride in its "multiculturalism"...far more so than the U.S.A..

It is also an extremely pleasant and currently prosperous nation with friendly people and firearms laws which are not yet too onerous, at least for longarms. (I bought two on my latest visit :) )

Barbarossa, the advice on leaving sooner rather than later is very sound.

You're sitting inside a powder keg over there, and there are many potential sparks. :eek:

loandr.
January 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
get yourself a couple of big boerboels/ I have a male and female and they are very serious dogs.

someone said a mouthful :-) My babies.

MD_Willington
January 19, 2006, 04:38 PM
BTW, Canada and Australia wont be much better as far as gun laws are concerned.

QFT

Canadian/British (Commonwealth) citizen here, been living in USA for 6 years now... all of my firearms in Canada are now sold. Don't plan on going back to Canada :cuss:

RonC
January 19, 2006, 05:10 PM
I lived in SA for 5 months in 2000, and have stayed there about 1 month each year since then.
The people I worked and dealt with were some of the finest people I have ever met. But it is hard to live under seige. Even with the draconian gun laws in SA, most of my Afrikaaner friends carried. So many of my SA friends already have emigrated.

I can live with some crime, but the number of gratuitous killings in SA are crazy.

I wish you the best.

Beste Groete,
Ron (learning Afrikaans)

January 19, 2006, 06:15 PM
Jeff and Bar -
Kim duToit's site is now www.theothersideofkim.com.

Standing Wolf
January 19, 2006, 09:38 PM
If 'twere me, I believe I'd leave.

drinks
January 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
I have not been to SA, I do know people living there and I subscribe to the magazine,Magnum.
Nothing sounds promising for the future.
Really too bad there could not be a partition and a seperation of whites from other races, however, I understand the asian and Indian groups want to go with the whites, so it seems to be very complicated.
:banghead:

Travis McGee
January 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
I would greatly appreciate any essays from the South African gentlemen about surviving in an "anarcho-tyranny." (Learned a new term on this thread, thanks!) This could include staying safe at home, on the road, when stuck in traffic downtown, when confronting mobs or gangs, dealing with hostile police, keeping and using guns legally and illegally and so on. Your hard-learned lessons would help us to stay ahead of the curve here in the USA and elsewhere, in the event that "TSHTF," as we say.

(Barbarossa: that means "the ******** hits the fan" in case you're not familiar with our shorthand.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Surviving in Cape Town" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!