Young with a CCW

PDA

JL2152
October 13, 2004, 09:36 AM
I am coming up on my one year anniversary of concealed carry. It will also be my 22nd birthday. There doesn’t seem to be very many 20 something people on this board but I am curious as to what everyone thinks about being young and legally carrying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Young with a CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
October 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
I'm 22 and have had my CWP for almost a year.

I don't see why being 20 something would make any difference.

who me
October 13, 2004, 10:01 AM
I'm 23 and had mine for over a year now. We're young but we're still responsible adults.

charby
October 13, 2004, 10:02 AM
Got mine a few weeks ago at 30. I would have gotten it sooner but I lived in counties where it took a act of god to issue or I didn't own a handgun.

If you didn't know Iowa issues by way of the Sheriff and if they don't want issue they don't have too.

berettaman
October 13, 2004, 10:12 AM
Personally at 20 something I wasn't mature enough to carry a gun around.I was brought up around guns,hunting,ect..but as far as having a gun on my person during the most exciting times of my life...Bad receipe.I'm now entering my 40's and have been CCWing for almost 10 years.I have no problems with anyones age and carrying be it young or old as long as they are responsible.Unfortunatly society is producing more emotionally and morally inmature,government dependant young people.

but that's just one man's .02

duckslayer
October 13, 2004, 10:13 AM
We are entitled to self defense as much as anyone. Although I am fast approaching 30, I have had mine for a few years now.

MrMurphy
October 13, 2004, 10:22 AM
I was carrying at 22 mostly because at 21 I still lived in Kalifornistan. By 22 I moved to Texas.

I've been armed and capable of defending myself, on and off, since i was 18 in various places and countries. :)

And I've always had a knife or two on me since I was eight.

MidnightHour
October 13, 2004, 10:25 AM
I'm 21 and I'll be getting my CCW license within the next few months. Nice to know there's a few other "young" guys here.

Indy7373
October 13, 2004, 10:31 AM
I am only 20, will turn 21 in several months, and the first thing I plan on doing is applying for my ccw.

oldfella
October 13, 2004, 10:49 AM
Being young is the same as being old, makes no difference; I was 85, two years ago, when I got mine... although bad guys think because you're old you either have nothing to defend yourself, or can't hit the old barn-side - well, they sure will be very surprised on both counts.

ShackleMeNot
October 13, 2004, 10:55 AM
I started legally carrying a pistol at 18. I even had my first carry permit mailed to my dorm room my freshman year of college.

There is no magical age for the responsibility it takes to carry. You do have to be mature enough to avoid conflict and understand the consequences of your actions. I know some people who could do those things at 18 and some who still can't do them at 40.

duckslayer
October 13, 2004, 10:58 AM
Well oldfella, I hope you, or any of the rest of us, never have to prove your marksmanship in a situation such as that!

El Rojo
October 13, 2004, 10:58 AM
I am 27 and got my CCW when I was 22 and I live in the PRK! I like being young and carrying. A pistol is probably the last thing a person would think you have on you. Especially in the California. I am most certainly more mellow because I am carrying.

myrockfight
October 13, 2004, 10:59 AM
We're around. We're just not holding up signs. :D
I'm 26, but I got my CCW very soon after I turned 21 when I lived in Florida.

Rickstir
October 13, 2004, 11:01 AM
By 20 I was married with a child on the way. Had two good jobs. Hunted and fished a lot. Now back when I was 20, in 1966, CCW was not even heard of in Missouri. I think I was mature enough to handle it.

One of the silly concessions made by our legislature to get passage was that individuals had to be 23 to apply. I said it was silly. So you could go into the service, fight in combat from your country, come back to Missouri and be at the mercy of bad guys. If that isn't the most ludicrous ammendment ever passed in Missouri I will eat your hat.

geekWithA.45
October 13, 2004, 11:03 AM
Chronological age isn't necessarilly related to good judgement and responsibility.

I know 16 year olds I trust to be fully armed in my presence, and I know 40 year olds I wouldn't trust in my presence with a fork.

jefnvk
October 13, 2004, 11:03 AM
I'm 18, and wishing I could get a CCW. Not that I think I need it, but because I want it. OK, maybe seeing the bear last time I went fishing unnerved me a little, too.

I do agree with Shackles. I know some 14 year olds that could probably be trusted more with a CCW then some 30 year olds. Heck, being in college proves to me that you don't hit any magical responsibility level at 18 or 21.

SpookyPistolero
October 13, 2004, 11:10 AM
21 here with a CCW. It was my birthday present to myself. I agree with geekwitha.45, there are 16 yr olds I'd trust over some 40 yr olds. I was one of the 16 year olds. I've always felt like this in general...
1 Timothy 4
12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

corncob
October 13, 2004, 11:15 AM
I'm 24 and I've had mine for less than a year.

Adolescence is a recent concept. If you behave responsibly, you are responsible--regardless of your age.

Chupacabra
October 13, 2004, 11:20 AM
I'm 26 and have been carrying for about 2.5 years. It has opened my eyes to a lot of things, the most important being that we are all responsible for our own safety.

I hope I never have to use my carry gun, but I'm glad it is there if I need it.

:cool:

JL2152
October 13, 2004, 11:33 AM
One of the silly concessions made by our legislature to get passage was that individuals had to be 23 to apply. I said it was silly. So you could go into the service, fight in combat from your country, come back to Missouri and be at the mercy of bad guys.

I always thought not having a military exemption for purchasing of firearms at under 21 was stupid. I signed my enlistment contract when I was 17 years 2 months and 10 days old and went to basic while I was still 17. I could be M-16 or a SAW and told to go to town on the range but at that time I couldn't purchase any long gun.

armoredman
October 13, 2004, 11:37 AM
Started carrying a pistol at age 16 - legally. Got my CCW when the law went into effect in 94. 10 years later I don't need it, with the badge, but would still have it if necessary. The wife has hers, too! Being young, sane, and legally armed is a GOOD thing!:cool:

Robert J McElwain
October 13, 2004, 11:41 AM
I'm not worried about honest law abiding citizens, of all ages, carrying guns. I'm only worried about all the convicted felons who are also carrying....illegally.

Bob

mcooper
October 13, 2004, 11:45 AM
Well I can't carry yet, 21 in Ms and I'm 18.

Oh well I guess I don't have rights untill I'm 21, I can be trusted to vote, Drive a car (a slow guided bullet if you will), and raise a Family. BUT I couldn't be trusted to defend that family.:cuss:

middy
October 13, 2004, 11:52 AM
It really bugs me that some of the people that need a CCW the most, young women ages 18-21, can't carry. I would like to see the legal age lowered for young women; they are generally more mature than men their age, and need the protection more, being (arguably) near the peak of their physical beauty.

CannibalCrowley
October 13, 2004, 11:56 AM
I'm 23 and while I'd like to carry, I currently have a disorderly person conviction that I'm trying to have erased due to lawyer incompetence. Sadly, it seems like the 3 year time period will be up before I'm finished with the court system; and then it won't matter.

aguyindallas
October 13, 2004, 12:11 PM
Checking in at 27...

fistful
October 13, 2004, 12:13 PM
Being young is the same as being old, makes no difference; I was 85, two years ago, when I got mine... although bad guys think because you're old you either have nothing to defend yourself, or can't hit the old barn-side - well, they sure will be very surprised on both counts.
Ever notice how a lot of those "Armed Citizens" in the NRA magazines are 70 or over?

...some of the people that need a CCW the most, young women ages 18-21, can't carry.
In the mid-nineteenth century, pistols became available that were light in weight, reliable, accurate, and able to fire multiple rounds in quick succesion. With such an arm, even the frailest of women can repel the strongest attackers. More than a century later, even as technology has widened the available options and economic changes have made such weapons more easily available, helpless women are still being attacked and killed, robbed and raped on our streets. Are we mad? Why on earth don't we insist that our wives, daughters and mothers train with and carry pistols?

I know, most of them don't want to pack anyway, and it wouldn't stop all crime even if they did, but...this world is crazy. Guess you all already knew that.

Sergeant Sabre
October 13, 2004, 12:15 PM
I'll chime in:

I'm 23 and I pack a pistol. I still go to bars and stuff, but I disarm before I do so. I also disarm before I enter my college classrooms. Anywhere else I go, my .45 goes with me. It doesn't get removed from the holster or even touched in public unless it's being drawn as part of a defensive action (which hasn't happened yet). I know that if somebody pisses me off somehow, I must be the bigger man and let it go. So, what's the problem with my age? Answer: there is none.

Gus Dddysgrl
October 13, 2004, 12:16 PM
Well on my 21st b-day I walked into the sheriffs office and gave them my papers that I had filled out before hand. The lady at the desk ask if I was 21 yet and I said yeah today! She was quite surprised. I'm not sure if she was scared of me or what.

I got my permit about a week after that. I'm now coming up on my 22nd b-day and can't afford a new gun, but have some ammo I'll blow through.

Yeah we're here, but we don't announce our age too often.

I am also a woman so people don't ask my age.:uhoh: People look at me and have no idea I'm one to carry or even be into guns.

Of course everytime I get a late call Jon rolls over and mumbles make sure you take your gun.:rolleyes: It's kinda funny. I love surprising people with my ... interests, knowledge, whatever you call it. :D :evil:

Gus

cfabe
October 13, 2004, 12:39 PM
I'm 22 here with a CCW, applied for it the week the ohio law went into effect.

Series 70
October 13, 2004, 01:24 PM
I have two teenagers who are continuing to learn about and practice with firearms. My wife and I intend to pay for their training and carry application when they turn 21. Before that, they will already have suitable sidearms.

Whether they carry or not will be up to them, but I am setting the example of always carrying. Gotta get the wife to carry more often, but that's a slow, subtle process.

petrel800
October 13, 2004, 01:49 PM
24 now. I got mine when I was 22.

petrel800
October 13, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry, double tap.

cordex
October 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
I'll be 22 in November. Been carrying since I was 18. I need to get my permit renewed.

Standing Wolf
October 13, 2004, 02:00 PM
If you're old enough to pick up the tab by paying taxes, you're old enough to enjoy the use of all your civil rights.

All his life, this old individual has heard variations on the theme of "the younger generation is going to the dogs." That's stale baloney. Human nature hasn't changed, nor is it likely to do so in the foreseeable future.

More power to young folks—and old folks, and in between folks, and blue folks with yellow stripes—who keep and bear arms.

voilsb
October 13, 2004, 02:00 PM
I got mine shortly after my 22nd birthday. I'm 23 now, 24 in a couple months.

LiquidTension
October 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
Hi, my name's LT. I'm 24 and I've been a CWP holder for over two years.

This thread feels like the introductions at an AA meeting.

Highpower1
October 13, 2004, 03:30 PM
I applied for my CCW on my birthday at the age of 21. I've been carrying for over 10 years now.

cls12vg30
October 13, 2004, 04:12 PM
I'm 27, my CCW came through last week. I was 24 when I fled the Fascist State of New York, where just getting a pistol purchase permit takes a year, but it took me a few years to get into shooting down here in NC.

Robert J McElwain
October 13, 2004, 04:34 PM
"This thread feels like the introductions at an AA meeting."

I wouldn't know.:D

Bob

JL2152
October 13, 2004, 04:50 PM
This thread feels like the introductions at an AA meeting

LOL too true. This is the first thread I started that went to two pages. Its nice to know there are so many young people on this board.

jwmoore
October 13, 2004, 05:01 PM
I got my permit at 25 - I'm 27 now.

~W

Correia
October 13, 2004, 05:15 PM
I'm 29 now. I've been carrying for five years.

Ukraine Train
October 13, 2004, 05:21 PM
I turned 21 last Christmas, Ohio CCW was passed the next month, and I had my permit three weeks after the law took effect in April. I think I was one of the youngest people carrying in Ohio for a while.

Skunkabilly
October 13, 2004, 05:42 PM
Got mine at 22 and 6 months.

I think if they let you do something as dangerous as driving at 16, or worse, voting at 18, you should be able to carry at 18.

10 Ring Tao
October 13, 2004, 10:01 PM
22 with CCW. Girlfriend is 23 and all she needs to do is go in and pay her money, shes taken the class and qualified. Outshot 80% of the guys there too. :D

Shes told me enough stories about being harassed at work and such, plus being 4'11"/95 lbs, that I don't feel bad in pushing constantly to get it done and start carrying. Its nice not fighting her on it, as shes looking forward to being able to fend off a guy 3 times her size.

Her:

http://s94994366.onlinehome.us/pit/P9181036.JPG

http://www.glenr.com/ar-trish_sm.jpg

Darkmind
October 13, 2004, 10:06 PM
I got my first one when i was stationed in GA about three weeks after i turned 21. Now that i'm back in michigan for good i went in and took the class, filled out the paper work, and paid the money. Now i'm just wateing to hear back on it.

MrMurphy
October 13, 2004, 10:06 PM
Teach her proper stance with that rifle! Lean forward! Step into it! :)

My girlfriend is 22, 5'2 and 120lbs and wants to learn how to shoot.. :) I don't mind!

Bridger
October 13, 2004, 10:57 PM
I'm 21, turning 22 soon. NY state is a PITA to get a permit in, but I just can't resist the call of the 1911 anymore. I'm in a real rural area upstate and even if I carried a shotgun or rifle would be less than aminute away anyway. But I do go to CT and PA often enough and apparently the CT permit for non-residents is slightly easier than for residents!

My girlfriend is 3 weeks older than me and lives in CT, she'd have her permit by now were it not for the financial constraints, just can't afford it right now. That's kind of my spot too, but I plan on changing that soon.

I do have a Curio and Relics license though :cool: Now you can see where my money has gone...

BHPshooter
October 13, 2004, 11:23 PM
I turn 21 in 2 months. I'll be getting my CCW ASAP.

I see absolutely no problem with young people carrying... I wish the age would be lowered to 18.

Wes

38SnubFan
October 13, 2004, 11:28 PM
I'm 27, and have had my CCW permit for 6 months now. I would have had it sooner, but lived with an anti-gun family and then an anti-gun girlfriend after that, so any gun more than a BB/pellet gun was out of the question.

However, my father did insist in teaching me gun safety at a young age, should I ever have to use one. He used to carry one for his job - I think he went "anti-gun" due to my mother being against firearms. (My mother has kinda warmed up to me owning and carrying now.)

My girlfriend is currently 20, one year shy of being able to get her PA License To Carry Firearms. She currently works at a Wal-Mart, where she is required to park her car so far away from the front doors that she becomes a prime target for a mugger/thief/rapist/etc. She does shoot with me, however, and is considering a license to carry when she hits that "magic age". Her brother and I have convinced her to at least get a kinfe and maybe some OC spray for now. She took that advice and last night puchased a new Kershaw 1550ST Assisted-Opening and keeps it clipped inside her front pants pocket.

I believe if you are responsible, law-abiding, and mentally stable, you should be permitted to own and carry a gun WITHOUT A PERMIT. I also believe the age should be lowered to 18 rather than 21. I know for my girlfriend, it could be the difference between being fully prepared to deal with a lethal threat and being "carried by six".

-38SnubFan

chetrogers
October 14, 2004, 12:43 AM
I'm 26 and still do not have mine.I think about it all the time .I really don't know why I don't get it.I took an NRA class that meets my states requirement for it and everything.I just never did it.Infact I'm off to look into it now again.

Knives
October 14, 2004, 12:46 AM
I'm 22 and have had my CCW for a little over a year now. :)

jefnvk
October 14, 2004, 12:55 AM
I would like to see the legal age lowered for young women; they are generally more mature than men their age, and need the protection more, being (arguably) near the peak of their physical beauty.

I always thought not having a military exemption for purchasing of firearms at under 21 was stupid.

Why? Am I any less deserving because I can't serve in the military, and because I'm not a woman?

waktasz
October 14, 2004, 08:55 AM
I'm 22 and have my birthday in August, got my permit when I was 21 on Otcober 1st :)

JL2152
October 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
Why? Am I any less deserving because I can't serve in the military, and because I'm not a woman?

Good point. I don't think there should be any difference in what a persons rights based on occupation or gender. There also shouldn't be a 21 year old and over age limit on The Constitution.

If you enjoyed reading about "Young with a CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!