Photo Banned From Yearbook- NRA To Sue

PDA

Dot_mdb
October 13, 2004, 12:55 PM
Young fellow in picture posing with shotgun he uses to shoot sheet has photo banned from yearbook.

http://www.wftv.com/education/3804944/detail.html

School says he can pose with anything used in skeet but not the gun!

This is happening in New Hampshire. The New Hampshire motto is: LIVE FREE OR DIE

NRA to pay for lawsuit.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Photo Banned From Yearbook- NRA To Sue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nathaniel Firethorn
October 13, 2004, 01:02 PM
NRA to pay for lawsuit.Good. I'm glad my dues are being well spent.

Need I ask where the ACLU is on this First Amendment issue? :rolleyes:

- pdmoderator

Wayne D
October 13, 2004, 01:27 PM
They said he could put it in the Sports section but not the Seniors section. I wonder what kind of logic prompted that decision and if it also applies to kids posing with basketballs or baseball bats.

cpileri
October 13, 2004, 01:32 PM
'bout time we went on the offensive!
C-

Chipperman
October 13, 2004, 01:34 PM
The School is depserately trying to find a compromise now. They had no idea this story would blow up so fast. It went from a local news story to CCN in just a few weeks.

IMO, they figured they could appear generous by allowing it in the Sports section, w/o backing down completely.
If they had done this when the story first broke, it probably would have been ok.

IT'S TOO LATE NOW. :neener:

molonlabe
October 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
But Tuesday's unanimous vote also backed a compromise: Blake Douglass can have the photo published in a "community sports" section, and a new photo without the gun but featuring other elements of skeet and trap shooting can appear in the seniors' section of the Londonderry High School yearbook.

Maybe he can stand there holding a clay bird???

Standing Wolf
October 13, 2004, 03:07 PM
The School is depserately trying to find a compromise now. They had no idea this story would blow up so fast.

Schools are supposed to be run by adults who are capable of anticipating consequences of illegal, stupid actions. I sincerely hope the lad wins many, many dollars in a judgement against the school: it might—might—send a sorely needed message to other school administrators.

El Tejon
October 13, 2004, 03:08 PM
How about he has his photo taken with the Bill of Rights?;)

Rights for some, but not others. Some animals are more equal than others, Benjamin.:scrutiny:

Wayne D
October 13, 2004, 05:56 PM
Wasn't there a case like this a couple of years ago involving a girl high school student? I did a search but couldn't find anything. It might have been posted at "The Firing Line", I haven't had a chance to search there yet.

sumpnz
October 13, 2004, 06:10 PM
The lawyer in this case, Penny Dean, is the same as the lawyer mvpel used/is using in his fight with the Manchester PD over their treatment of him while legally open carrying in a Barnes & Noble.

reagansquad
October 13, 2004, 06:15 PM
*Goes back in time and submits a pic of himself w/ a remington 870 HD all tacked out instead of the PC pic in letterman jacket*

ExtremeDooty
October 13, 2004, 08:10 PM
The lawyer in this case, Penny Dean, is the same as the lawyer mvpel used/is using in his fight with the Manchester PD over their treatment of him while legally open carrying in a Barnes & Noble.

Is there a thread detailing this story. I haven't read it yet.

This is the kind of thing the NRA should be doing with the money I send them. And the schools are a good place to do it.

sumpnz
October 13, 2004, 08:43 PM
mvpel got booted off THR back a while ago for apparently anti-Muslim remarks. The thread also got deleted in the process. Don't know any details for certain and could be wrong on anti-Muslim part. Over on TFL and packing.org there are threads that discuss the whole incident.

Short version: mvpel and his wife were in B&N after going out to dinner. He was CCW, but took off his jacket before entering B&N, thereby exposing his handgun. Some blissninny calls 911 to report a "man with a gun" that made her "uncomfortable." Never alleged any criminal or other threatening behavior, just that she was "uncomfortable." The responding cops roughly disarm him and force him outside. After realizing that open carry was legal, they lectured him at length about carrying (saying that he shouldn't), and let him go. He's retained Penny Dean in a lawsuit against the Manchester PD following a failure to amicably resolve the situation without lawyers.

HarryB
October 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
mvpel's account:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147930

ExtremeDooty
October 14, 2004, 02:51 AM
mvpel's account:

Thanks for the link...very interesting reading.
But the thread runs out in June and I wonder how it turned out.

I've often thought about walking in to the local superstore with the old XD strapped to my leg and see what happens. Being poor with no money for a lawyer has stopped me from giving this any serious consideration. I just frosts me that I could get roundly hassled for doing something completely legal and having to defend myself in court.

Like I said, to get back on topic, I appreciate the NRA spending my money on cases like these, rather than sending me offers to send them more money.

carebear
October 14, 2004, 02:55 AM
What other trap equipment could he pose with? A clay pigeon? :rolleyes:

RevDisk
October 14, 2004, 06:35 AM
What other trap equipment could he pose with? A clay pigeon?

Let's see... Maybe someone could lend the lad a few evil weapons. Say a BAR or something equally PC.

SteveS
October 14, 2004, 01:21 PM
Schools are supposed to be run by adults who are capable of anticipating consequences of illegal, stupid actions. I sincerely hope the lad wins many, many dollars in a judgement against the school: it might—might—send a sorely needed message to other school administrators.

I think the same applies to townships, cities, states, and the feds. Several cities in MI and some local municipalities wanted to keep things polite during election time. Their idea was to ban any and all political yard signs.

gaston_45
October 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
I think it is good that the NRA is finally going to get involved with a court case. As I opened this thread though I was thinking I bet they tried to ban his duck huntin' shotgun.

It is too bad I was this close, it seems all the NRA does is defend the easy cases. It is time they stepped up and got involved in a real gun case, rather then always trying to quash them for "not being the right case or time".

sumpnz
October 14, 2004, 02:44 PM
But the thread runs out in June and I wonder how it turned out. Make sure you go through to the last page (there's about 7 now) to get all the latest. Most recent comment is dated Oct 1.

WT
October 14, 2004, 03:31 PM
Well, the New Hampshire branch of the ACLU has offered to help the student. They claim his 1st Amendment Rights were violated.

The NRA and ACLU - working together. Amazing.

Kevlarman
October 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
I find it funny that even in the state I live in, California, that a good friend of mine even had a two-page article on how he loves skeet (or is it trap?) shooting and is an Olympic hopeful. Not only did they have a picture of him and his gun, but the photograph shows him firing the weapon! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Photo Banned From Yearbook- NRA To Sue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!