CMP Garand just arrived

PDA

admar2
October 13, 2004, 07:48 PM
got my H&R service Grade Garand today. took less than two weeks to get it from the time I mailed out the forms.

serial number is 56335xx. anybody that can point me to info on looking up the serial number would be appreciated. there also is a large "P" stamped on the underside of the grip. the serial numbers don't match, but its all H&R parts.

it was pretty full of cosmoline, spent a couple hours cleaning it. as you can see from the rear sight aperature I need to clean more. ;)

now I can't wait till saturday to try her out.

http://home.comcast.net/~amarino74/garand1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~amarino74/garand2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~amarino74/garand3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP Garand just arrived" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed
October 13, 2004, 08:01 PM
Very Nice. What kind are you gonna get next?:D

Try here for serial # info

http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

admar2
October 13, 2004, 08:31 PM
oh yeah,

anyone notice anything wrong with one of those pics?

;)

October 13, 2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, your weapon is lying on the floor.
Why don't you just follow it on down there and give me 50.
I hope you have somewhere to sleep tonight because that rifle is in your bunk.

Phyphor
October 13, 2004, 09:41 PM
2 of those old b*stards followed me home (REALLY! They did! My checkbook had NOTHING to do with it.... or at least, that's what I'd like to tell the old lady... )

Anyway, you'll no doubt feel the urge to adopt 1 or 2 more....

admar2
October 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
ok,

here's a hint.

the problem is with the 2nd picture.

you Garand owners out there oughta be able to spot the problem.

ACP230
October 13, 2004, 10:45 PM
The bolt is just far enough back to deliver a good case of "M1 Thumb!"

It should be run back farther.

cslinger
October 13, 2004, 10:47 PM
No bolt cover???

admar2
October 13, 2004, 10:59 PM
pull the bolt back on yours Chris and then look at the picture again.

CLOSELY

cslinger
October 13, 2004, 11:08 PM
Is it set up as a .308 or something. It looks like the magazine(clip holder thingy) is too small or pushed to far forward.

Chris

cslinger
October 13, 2004, 11:09 PM
It's backwards, that's it it's backwards.

Chris

admar2
October 13, 2004, 11:20 PM
yep!

first time I put it back together, I put the follower in backwards.

everything seemed to function right, except for the fact that I couldn't load a clip.

LOL

cslinger
October 13, 2004, 11:26 PM
Yeah follower, that's the word. Allergies are hammering me and I am all hopped up on Benedryl.

Looks like you got a really nice one. Too bad we have a wedding to go to this weekend I would really like to get out to the range to see it.

Have fun with it.

Chris

admar2
October 14, 2004, 07:55 AM
thanks Chris,

yeah, I'm gonna head out to the range saturday after a little trip to the smyrna gun show.

there'll be other weekends. enjoy the wedding.

Swampy
October 14, 2004, 08:24 AM
admar2,

Nice one. Congrats.

BTW.... Re "serial numbers don't match"....

US military weapons don't have "matching serial numbers" like Euro milsurps. There is only one serial number on an M1. It's on the receiver heel. All the other numbers you see on the bolt, op-rod, barrel, trigger housing, etc.... are part/drawing numbers.

There may be umpteen thousands or even millions of bolts out there, all with the same drawing mumber on it (of roughly 5.5 million M1 bolts made, over 2 mil are the "-12" variant). Similar situation goes for the other parts too....

There are also heat lot numbers tagged with the drawing numbers of the receiver (lower leg), barrel, and bolt. These were put on so that rifles could be ID'd and recalled later if a problem occured with a particular lot of metal.

Just an FYI ;)

Best of luck with yours.... Enjoy

Swampy

Garands forever

admar2
October 14, 2004, 04:09 PM
thanks for the info Swampy. that definitely clears things up on the serial number issue.

kayak bum
October 14, 2004, 05:43 PM
Very close to the H&R I received last week; serial is close, also has the P-marked stock. Very tight, shoots well, and listed as being from 1954-56. My suprise was having something besides cosmoline in the stock; at some point the rifle was glass bedded.

1911Ron
October 14, 2004, 11:01 PM
Very nice rifle, enjoy it shoot it often. I haven't had mine out in awhile:fire: Now i just have to convince the wife that i need an'03a3:D

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
03-A3s are great! You really need to get one, 1911Ron, before they run out of 'em.

I'll make you a deal: I'll buy that Garand I've been wanting if you buy your Springfield. Whadya say?

October 15, 2004, 12:07 AM
Man, I really need another 1903A3.
I have one and am currently using it in a local match. At the last match, I thought I had a rear sight problem and paniced that I had no back up. But, I have spent so much freaking money lately that I just can't bring myself to order another one.
The ones I have been seeing here locally are really nice. I probably shouldn't say that since you guys will buy them out before I get another one.

admar2
October 17, 2004, 08:09 PM
had my sweetheart out to the range this weekend. funny how much attention these things get at the range. I think I spent more time talking to people about the rifle and the CMP than I actually did shooting.

alot of folks don't even know about the CMP and after talking to a few folks several insisted that they were going to go about getting their hands on one of these fine pieces of american history.

I actually talked to a guy for a while that is shooting a documentary on the CMP. danged if Ican remember his name though.

at 100yrds I put 4 clips through her, not rapid fire, but fairly quickly. went downrange and counted 32 holes in my 8inch round see-more target.

not bad if you ask me.

had a blast shooting her, and already planning my next addition.

George S.
October 17, 2004, 09:21 PM
Great looking rifle. I picked up a Garand early this year from the CMP. It's a low 6-digit s/n Springfield dated from April 1941. It's one of the last of the Danish return rifles with the VAR barrel. ME of about .5 and will easily do 6" groups at 100yds with Korean milsurp ammo.

I just placed an order for a Remington 1903A3 last week. Now I'm anxiously listening for the sound of the big white truck in the driveway.

If you enjoyed reading about "CMP Garand just arrived" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!