Rack Grade Dane vs. Rack Grade Greek

PDA

natedog
October 14, 2004, 12:59 AM
The Rack Grade Dane M-1 Garand is $350, while the RG Greek is $300- is there any difference in these rifles (technically), besides what country they were sent to?

Of the Greeks, which would you reccomend, the H&R, or the Springfield?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rack Grade Dane vs. Rack Grade Greek" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natedog
October 14, 2004, 07:09 PM
BUMP

Jason Demond
October 14, 2004, 07:14 PM
Only thing I can think of, is that the Danes may have some Breda or Beretta parts.

If I was faced with buying a RG rifle, it would be a Greek rifle, and I would pick it out myself. If you don't plan on rebarreling the gun, you may want to go for the SG rifles. The three SG SA rifles I have, all had brandnew barrels on them, and are great shooters.

The last time I was at the North store, I gauged the muzzels on all the RG guns, and found the Greeks with the most serviceable barrels. There were a lot of 2's and 3's.

The H&R guns are all postwar guns, and are known for their quality.

natedog
October 14, 2004, 07:30 PM
BTW, I am going to rebarrel to .308.

Jason Demond
October 14, 2004, 07:42 PM
Then the Greek RG is the way to go. As far as I know, the Greek's are all USGI.

Swampy
October 15, 2004, 08:46 AM
Natedog,

Look again.....

The Rack Grade Greek is a COMPLETE rifle.

The Rack Grade Dane returns the CMP is selling right now are WITHOUT WOOD. That means no wood parts, no buttplate, no ferrules, screws, or swivels either.

BTW, the main difference between Greek returns and Dane returns (aside from the EXCELLENT Italian and Dane replacement parts on the Dane returns) is the fact that the Danes did the required maintenence on the rifles we loaned them and then some.

The same can't be said for the Greeks.... hence the fact that the Greeks still have all their USGI parts. When things got very worn, nothing was replaced. This is the tradeoff with the Greeks..... Sure they are all USGI parts... and, chances are, some of those USGI parts are going to be VERY WELL worn.

All in all the Greek Rack Grades are a good buy at $295 for a complete functioning rifle. Just don't expect anything as nice as the Danes were.

A DANISH Rack Grade (complete rifle) is a much BETTER buy at $375, but alas, the complete Dane rifles are all sold out. Fortunately, I bought enough of them to last me (and my descendents) for some time. ;)

Your BEST buy is a Greek (or USGI) Service Grade. You are then guaranteed a rifle with a usable barrel with minimal wear. You are gambling when you order a Rack Grade on getting a barrel that is beyond any further hope of reasonable accuracy. This is WHY they have the Rack Grade category. You might get lucky and get one with a bad stock for it's grading, you might not.... Some guys get Rack Grades that only needed a good cleaning to come up with a "jewel" of a barrel. The CMP just didn't have the time to do the cleaning work to find out. I personally know guys in our local CMP club that gambled on the Rack Grade and lost. They got bores that would swallow a gauge and rattle it around.

Feelin' lucky punk??? :D

Gofer whut you think you can handle. Regarless of the grading, the CMP is the best deal going for functioning M1 rifles.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

natedog
October 15, 2004, 11:05 AM
R002SAR M1 Garand, Danish Issue, Springfield Armory Rack Grade $350

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

There's a choice for complete, or less wood (the less wood option is $300).

natedog
October 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
Is it still worth getting the service grade even if I'm going to rebarrel? Worn stocks don't scare me, in fact I like some wear- gives it character. I'm just concerned with the stock being illfitting.

Kestrel
October 15, 2004, 11:25 AM
I always appreciate Swampy's posts about the Garands. Lots of good info.

I have one of the Danes, too and it's in great shape. (Your post made me feel even better about it.)

Thanks,
Steve

Swampy
October 15, 2004, 11:42 AM
natedog wrote:

R002SAR M1 Garand, Danish Issue, Springfield Armory Rack Grade $350

If that's still on the CMP website, then I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the Dane Racks were all gone. I'm pretty CERTAIN the Dane Service Grades were all gone.....

Is it still worth getting the service grade even if I'm going to rebarrel? Worn stocks don't scare me, in fact I like some wear- gives it character. I'm just concerned with the stock being illfitting.

If you KNOW that you want to switch tubes, then by all means go for the Rack Grade. No sense spending the extra $100 for a Service Grade barrel you don't want. On the other hand... a decent SG barrel can be sold for a few bucks too..... might even be as much as $100.

Re wood... Rack Grades can be graded that way for sub-par wood, but there is no guarantee that Service Grades are going to have pretty wood. The only criteria for SG wood is that it be solid and serviceable with no cracks-splits in the buttstock. The HG's may have cracks even on the SG's.

Gook luck with your decision,

Swampy

Garands forever

VG
October 16, 2004, 08:52 AM
You can seel your take off barrel on eBay. A Rack Grade barrel won't be worth doing so. If you get a WWII dated barrel it may sell for more than the difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rack Grade Dane vs. Rack Grade Greek" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!