Charge a rifle if kerry wins, just to be safe?

PDA

Joshua Hutchison
October 14, 2004, 12:08 AM
well, if kerry wins the election, i belive i may use my first credit card to buy a ebr, or an AK ype rifle, and pay it off, so i dont have to worry about my chance being taken before i can buy it outright.
would you do the same if you had just turned, or was about to turn 18, just to be sure? the idea of kerry winning bothers me, and if he does, i belive that may be a good course of action. what do you all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Charge a rifle if kerry wins, just to be safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RevDisk
October 14, 2004, 12:21 AM
You can find a decent battle rifle for very reasonable rates. There's always a nice SKS, SAR-1, Enfield, etc.

Reno
October 14, 2004, 12:23 AM
I emailed a gun shop today to check on price and availability of a couple M4geries. I'd rather not take a chance on either candidate. I'll be buying it outright though.

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2004, 12:46 AM
Fortunately, America isn't dumb enough to elect that Kerry creature.

Roon
October 14, 2004, 12:57 AM
SW,

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Seen the polls lately?

roscoe
October 14, 2004, 12:58 AM
Just how fast do you think congress is going to act on this? He can't just reinstate it by fiat.

mnrivrat
October 14, 2004, 12:59 AM
I think it realy depends on what kind of firearm you want and how long it will take you to save up for it , etc.

I wish I was as confident as Standing Wolf on the outcome of the election.

I am confident ,that if elected, the Kerry whitehouse will work with anti -firearm groups to re-install the AWB with some likely additions ,and continue to work toward errosion of our firearm rights.

In the worse case you have a little time - a few months at least , if a semi-auto battle style rifle is a must have for you.

jefnvk
October 14, 2004, 01:28 AM
I had planned on a Garand for Christmas. If Kerry wins, I am seriously planning on buying something that an AWB would cover. Maybe a Carbine instead of the Garand.

October 14, 2004, 01:38 AM
I would buy it, even if you had to take out a loan.
I would buy THE rifle wiht all the accessories you want.
If you think this might be your last chance to EVER buy the rifle you want, don't settle for something cheap: you will spend the rest of your life regreting it.

I agree with you by the way. I am going to be buying a few items for the same reason. I don't need the guns, but definitely a few Beta mags and some other items.

Calhoun
October 14, 2004, 08:43 AM
Please excuse my yelling.
DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR CARD! IT IS TOO EASY TO RUN UP THAT BILL!
It is just too easy to get into the habit of using a card for things you don't really need. First off it's a just a rifle, and let's be realistic the ban isn't going to come back with the stroke of a pen. Second, credit cards can get out of hand real quick when you are 18-25. This messes up your credit rating for a long time. Third, later on down the road when you are trying to buy something important like a house or a car, that bad credit rating is going to kick you in the a$$. (My appoligies to all the grandmothers reading this.)
If you are adult enough to have a rifle, you should be adult enough to handle a credit card. Think twice about it, then go home and think it over for a few days before you plunk down that plastic. Save up some money for a few months, put the rifle on lay-away, find a used one instead of new. Anything, but use your credit card responsibly.

Just my thoughts. Since you asked.

By the way, America is dumb enough to elect Kerry. They proved it 4 years ago then they were dumb enough to elect Bush.

BigG
October 14, 2004, 08:54 AM
Oh, I thought you meant would I pull back the charging handle on my Colt AR15 and chamber a round for the inevitable hijinks the frustrated idiots will try to get away with. Nobody burns my house - I hope! :uhoh:

grnzbra
October 14, 2004, 08:57 AM
Fortunately, America isn't dumb enough to elect that Kerry creature.

I hate to say it but you are absolutely, totally and completely wrong.

entropy
October 14, 2004, 09:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/Wipe-Glasses.gif

Um, unclear on the concept, Calhoun?

This is one instance where 'buy it now, pay for it later' makes a lotta sense, because there is a real possibility that you will not be ABLE to buy it later!

Just my .02.....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/walkingaway.gif

Mulliga
October 14, 2004, 09:25 AM
Never, EVER charge anything on a credit card if you can't pay it back completely at the end of the month.

PERIOD.

A lot of America is poor because people can't restrain themselves from buying what they want instead of what they need.

If Kerry does ban all semiauto rifles (unlikely), the war will start. Simple.:cuss:

41mag
October 14, 2004, 09:38 AM
I about bankrupted myself when the Klinton ban went into effect doing exactly that.

Not bloody likely to do that again.:scrutiny:

WessonSmith
October 14, 2004, 09:54 AM
Don't we have more pro-gun folks in Congress right now? If we can keep them in, I'm not too concerned about Kerry. He won't be able to do much if the Senate and House are opposites.
Hopefully, they will be.

Bainx
October 14, 2004, 09:55 AM
This time, the same as last time when I told the wife "if Gore gets in, I am buying a pallet of ammunition". Only this time, the pallet of ammo will be next to a fully-tricked AR!

Yes, avoid credit cards.
I read a stat a few months ago that the average credit card debut is
....ready for this.....$20,000!

Calhoun
October 14, 2004, 10:02 AM
Um, COMPLETLY clear on the concept, entropy. Credit card debt is nothing to joke about. Somebody may WANT a rifle now, but in a few years when they NEED a house they might be sorry. He asked for opinions and I gave him mine based on my experience and those of good friends.

Calhoun

Carlos Cabeza
October 14, 2004, 10:35 AM
C'mon guys, even a 1,500.00 purchase doesn't have a terribly steep monthly interest charge. Provided you send a significant amount of the balance each month, say 20 to 25% of the total it would be paid in less than a year. A quality firearm can last a long time, your rights may only last a few more months.

Always pay 7 to 10 days early to avoid trouble that could increase your interest rate.

Mr. Mysterious
October 14, 2004, 10:54 AM
All right, so you are worry that Kerry is going to get elected. First, I'm a political scientist and I don't think that it is going to be as close as what the media is saying. The polls are absolute crap this year, the non-response rate is the highest ever and a significant number of voters in the X and Y generation are cell phone only and thus are underpolled.

Secondly...if you have to I would charge the rifle...but the better idea is to budget. Say you are looking at an $850 M4. You have like 13 weeks before inauguration any ways. So in that case set back $65 a week.

In all reality though the president has a window of about a hundred days before he starts pushing any legislation, so look at an additional 14 weeks or so. No you only have to put back like $32 bucks a week.

And lets say that Kerry does get elected, then you still have to factor in that he is *just* the president and not the entire government. You still have to have House of Reps and the Senate make and pass the anti-gun bills, which won't happen because it looks like the republicans will retain control. What we would see is no new legislation granting more rights (ie nation wide CCW), but at least there would be no new legislation restricting the 2nd.

Jason

cracked butt
October 14, 2004, 11:31 AM
I don't need to go into debt to buy what I want, but it would put a big dent in my bank account. I was thinking the other day what I would buy.
Benelli SBE
Bushmaster AR-15 along with a carbine upper and mayber 1/2 dozen extra lower receivers (just in case)
A couple of SKSs
Another M1
Another 1911+ magazines
A dozen standard cap mags for a Beretta 92

possenti
October 14, 2004, 12:14 PM
Buy one anyway, no matter who gets elected.

Bush isn't any better than Kerry on 2A issues. Kerry just seems worse because he lies more about supporting gun rights. Bush is just as bad because of his silence on the issue - except for promising to sign the AWB renewal if it got to his desk.

Forget who's president. Our best bet is to keep the pressure on Congress to vote NO on any and all gun control bills.

Joshua Hutchison
October 14, 2004, 12:20 PM
you all have good points....im just very worried about the whole thing.

When the 94 ban came, i was too young to do anything, but now, i want to do SOMETHING if kerry get elected, by my thinking i would have time if bush gets elected...but all kerry would have to do is an exc. order or something, who knows? im simply asking what others feel about it...the only way i would even USE my emergancy card is ON an emergancy...and that worse-then-bush for now creature is an emergancy to me, if he gets it. i know bush may win...but kerry is what im worried about for now.

Black Snowman
October 14, 2004, 01:04 PM
I always keep a charged rifle next to my bed. Oh, you mean credit card! I'm a good American and I have a boat load of CC debt already. A few AR recievers are a minor burp ;)

Average Guy
October 14, 2004, 01:26 PM
I blew my chance at an AR when they were banned in California, so I like the concept.

But I'll also say: Start saving NOW.

Majic
October 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
The want of one rifle won't mean the end of the world. I can't see going in debt for one because you can't afford it now.

hso
October 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
Got all I need, and only half of what I want (odd how this becomes more like Xeno's paradox the longer I collect:D )

Seriously, if the alternative to getting the gun would be to put it on a card before it was gone forever I might consider getting one of the no interest until 2010 offer cards and paying off just as soon as possible. I've missed getting guns that I thought, "Nawww, I'll get that next year", only to have it go out of production and have to pay another 30% later to have it. That's more than I would have ever paid for charges had I used plastic.

zaijian
October 14, 2004, 03:36 PM
Heh, I was thinking the exact same thought.

If Kerry wins, I'm buying an MBR. Probably Springfield M1A Socom (no discussion in this thread!)

If Bush wins, then I'm buying a Taylor 514/614/714ce guitar!
... and then an MBR late next year :)

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 14, 2004, 03:59 PM
I was planning to downsize my collection a bit, and sell a couple of military-grade rifles that I don't really need. But then I tool a look at hw politics are shaping up these days. Now I'm waiting until the election results are in. I'll reevaluate whther I still want to own those rifles after we find out who our next president is going to be.

Issues of credit and debt aside, if there's one rifle that you really want to own, you probably ought to buy it now. The general trend as the years progress is for these things to be banned, discontinued, reduced in quality, etc. And prices only go up, never down. A single gun really isn't all that expensive in the long run, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a way to acquire it now.

Besides, the sooner you buy it the sooner you can start practicing with it. Isn't that alone worth a little bit of credit card interest or few less evenings out on the town?

Bainx
October 14, 2004, 05:11 PM
Mr. Mysterious, what is to keep Kerry from issuing exec. orders his first day in office to ban this gun or that gun?
Bush Senior did it.

Jake
October 14, 2004, 05:22 PM
I'd have to say yes. In fact I'm currently working on paying off the balances on my card and my wife's (got ran up due to all the hurricane expenses and lost time at work) in case I feel the need to make any "emergency" purchases due to the elections outcome.

trapperjohn
October 14, 2004, 06:04 PM
as much as I detest scarry Kerry, The sky isn't going to fall if he wins. at least not right away.
If you are really worried about it start saving for that stuff now and pay cash. Buying a gun on credit is just flushing money down the toilet. save the huge amount you would spend on interest (even if you paid it off in a few months) and buy ammo. Just to see how much money you are pissing away on credit check out this program I wrote and use 20% interest
http://www.jhphotos.net/loancalc.htm

make sure and use about 20 percent interest.

for example: $2,000 paid back over 6 months waste $118 in interest. Thats a lot of powder!

Jay Kominek
October 14, 2004, 06:41 PM
Joshua, take into consideration your marksmanship. If, for instance, you're not a very good shot at the moment (not trying to be insulting here, I just don't know you!) then you should spend your money going to the range each week with a borrowed rifle or something to learn.

Having a happy wonderful rifle that you can only barely use (and a pile of debt) isn't very useful. But if you're a good shot, there I think you can count on being able to borrow a rifle from someone who has a few dozen more than they can use at any one time.

While the President might not be able to push through legislation quickly, they could go grab the heads of the EPA and OSHA by the balls and make them run around trying to shut down as many ranges as possible.

You can own a small armory without anyone knowing. But it is harder to practice with a battle rifle without somebody catching on.

If you're already a good shot, then consider piling up on ammo without going into debt. It won't go bad in the next few decades, and owning it is just as important as owning a rifle. And it is available in more financially managable quantities.

(Debt is bad. Don't accumulate any.)

roscoe
October 14, 2004, 11:17 PM
The general trend as the years progress is for these things to be banned, discontinued, reduced in quality, etc

I tend to disagree - 25 years ago we didn't have the Saigas, SU 16s, Yugo SKSs, etc. I think there are plenty of these things floating around, so if you can't afford it, don't do it. If you feel like you really need a fighting rifle, spend $150 on an SKS, it's a hell of a rifle.

Mr. Mysterious
October 14, 2004, 11:23 PM
An executive order is possible but highly unlikely because the courts could overturn it. Also, an executive order is only supposed to clarify a law not make law. If JK came in and entered some type of an executive order like the AWB it seriously could create the beginnings of a Constitutional crisis. I was too young in 94 to really see what was happening with the AWB, but we all know that the Democrats soon got their walking papers when the election rolled around.

I have no doubt that getting the evil black rifles out of the hands of the common man would be on the short list for JK. He suffers the same mentality that most antis have...they think that by banning something that there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of already in circulation it will make the world a safer place.

Tamara
October 15, 2004, 06:55 AM
Mr. Mysterious, what is to keep Kerry from issuing exec. orders his first day in office to ban this gun or that gun?
Bush Senior did it.

Ah, but what Bush Senior did was to request that a bureau of the Treasury Department (part of the Executive branch) interpret regulations that were already in place (thanks to GCA '68) so as to cut off importation of certain rifles. That is well within the bailiwick of the President, as head of the executive branch.

Changing the production status or sales legality of weapons produced here in the Several States, however, is a different matter entirely, and that's why Bush Senior did not do that also, no matter how badly Billy Bennett wanted him to.

BryanP
October 15, 2004, 10:25 AM
As much as I love my toys, (and at this point the necessities are covered - any more guns are just that - toys) I speak from experience as someone who worked his way clear of credit card debt. If you can't pull out the cash or write a check for it, don't buy it. Period. The only exception I make to that rule is my mortgage.

Yes, I drive a rather unimpressive used car, but I wrote a check to pay for it and it's mechanically sound. Y'see, that's the key. If you don't have all these payments eating up your income you can buy stuff without borrowing yet more money.

lee n. field
October 15, 2004, 11:49 AM
No.

I've got enough guns. Spare funds will be going, as usual, to ammo and other consumables, parts and accessories and training if I can.

FNFiveSeven
October 15, 2004, 12:19 PM
I had the same debate before the California AW Ban. Before the ban took effect, I bought all the rifles and mags I could, even mags for guns I didn't own yet but hoped I one day would. I went thousands of dollars into debt, but now, 4 years later, I've paid it off (it only took about 2). And you know what?

IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

If I hadn't done it, I would be kicking myself every day, I'd be so upset that I'd have to leave the state. If I hadn't done it, I never would be able to own an AR. Never be able to have any mags over 10 rounds. I have a suggestion for you... whenever you wonder what to do, just look at what's happening here in Kali, and I think you'll see everything clearly. I just went back in to debt because of the .50 ban, but I know it was the right decision. Paying off debt is not hard if you have some fiscal displine after the fact, and work on paying it off ASAP. Just don't let the window of opportunity pass you by, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Oh yeah, and all this talk about saving money for when you NEED a car, house, etc... what about when you NEED a gun? When you need a rifle, YOU NEED A RIFLE! Way more than you'll ever need a new car or house. When the SHTF, you don't want to be standing around holding onto your #^#% because the only gun you've got is grandpa's .22, you want an AR-15 and backpack full of Beta-C mags!

Joshua Hutchison
October 15, 2004, 02:10 PM
well, i just realized i may not have said it, but i AM saving money, its just if something DOES happen, , and i didnt have enough by then...i want to figure out would it be worth it in the sense that it may never be yours, and the chance of having it at a premium is your only chance? im not one who wants to go into debt, and i prolly wont....im just trying to look ahead. honestly,im hoping bush gets in...just a little more chance of getting something good later, and not worry about debts, or the like :)

PS thanks for ALL the replies, i have seen this thread as a great learning experience. keep up with the responses :)

October 15, 2004, 02:29 PM
Obviously if you can save the money, you would be better off.
But, one more thing from the financial side to consider. Let's say, no matter who is elected, that another ban takes place. It might be the same ban we had before, or it might be worse. But let's say we are allowed to continue to own these weapons, but no more are allowed to be made for private citizens (like the situation right now with machine guns), or we again have a pre-ban/post-ban senario. Two years from now, you might still be able to buy the rifle you want from a private party: BUT, you are going to be paying a huge premium following the law of supply and demand: demand stayed the same but supply is now finite. So, whatever amount of interest you would pay now on a credit card would quickly be eaten up by the skyrocket prices in the future.
The machine gun situation is a good example. I remember a time when you could buy something like a Mac 10 or a Sten for $300-$400. Now, no more can be made for private citizens. The prices start at around $2500 and go up rapidly. If you realized what was coming and bought one of these guns using a credit card and payed a couple hundred dollars in interest, that would be a pretty small price to pay if you really wanted one.

FNFiveSeven
October 15, 2004, 04:19 PM
444 makes an excellent point. Even without the ban, guns are one of the best investments, hardly ever dropping signifcantly in value. I've had the same thoughts as 444, but the reality is I know I would never sell, so the guns just become a massive estate thing. You know, for the children :D

Daemon688
October 15, 2004, 04:56 PM
If you don't have more than $1000 dollars in your bank account then I don't suggest you buying on credit. Interest charges for someone 18 is horrid. Buy in cash if you can. Besides you have plenty of time between after the election.

FNFiveSeven
October 15, 2004, 05:34 PM
You may not have plenty of time after the election. While it may be true that you will have a period of weeks or months to "stock up" after a law is signed but before it goes into effect, the damage will be done instantaneously. Remember how much AR's were going for in the summer of '94? If you think you can't afford to buy a gun on credit now, just wait and see what they cost after he signs the ban. Then there's the issue of supply... right before Kali's AW ban, do you know how hard it was to find an AR-10? A Steyr AUG? HK 91? That's right, it was damn near impossible. Just look at the situation with the 50's, history always repeats itself, and the US eventually follows CA gun laws, it just takes a little time is all. Mark my words, there WILL BE a nationwide ban on the 50 BMG before we die. There will be a nationwide ban on "Assault Weapons" within the next 10 years. Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein... they are a relentless bunch gun-banning freedom-hating monsters. And they will NEVER stop until either every gun is banned or the eventual passage of time relieves them of their miserable lives.

jercamp45
October 15, 2004, 08:51 PM
I personally do not trust anyone in the political field, nor the herb mentality of sheeple.
I started a nice AK project...and I may get a M4gery after, when I get my refund. If not it is not a big loss to me.
If you have not got one, save up...if there is even a peep of another bann, buy it!
Jercamp45

Majic
October 16, 2004, 12:03 AM
Paying off debt is not hard if you have some fiscal displine after the fact, and work on paying it off ASAP.
It's not hard as long as your health holds up and your job stays secure. Suffer a unexpected health problem or have your job suddenly taken away from you and that debt then looms large. I never expected to become disable at the age of 48.
Don't place to much emphasis on what you will do in the future as it is not promised to you. Something to seriously think about.

Rumpled
October 17, 2004, 02:05 AM
I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself -
"You know Rumpled (always refer to yourself in third person to seem more starlike) that's going out pretty far to load a magazine and the chamber just because that SOB got elected."
Then I realized that you meant to extend yourself on credit to buy more firearms just becasue that SOB got elected.
Being that I live in the PRK and I'm already banned from all of the fun toys there's not much I could get - but yeah; I'd get a home equity loan and buy, oh, I don't know, about $75k or so of soon to be banned semi auto shotguns, rifles and handguns (shhhh, don't tell my newlywed wife that I'm going to use our house to do this - she'll be really p*ssed when I tell her we can't remodel 'cuz Kerry is a twit)
That's my plan.

riverdog
October 17, 2004, 10:24 AM
In your case I would not run up a huge credit card bill -- yet. What I would do is start socking away cash with a goal of buying a big present for myself. What kind of job do you have? Don't answer that, it's none of my business. How secure is that job? Who's paying for college?

Why not join the Army or Marines. They pay a good salary and take care of a lot of your bills (food, rent, utilities). They'll also teach you to shoot (the Marines will) and buy your ammo. You will be able to save money and pay cash for the rifle you decide to purchase.

Sit down and write out what you earn each month. Then write down all your monthly bills . Subtract the bills -- food, gas, car payments, clothes, cell phone, cable bills and utilities -- they all come out of whatever you are making first. What's left is what you have available for saving up for a rifle or paying on a credit card. I found in the past that I always underestimated my bills and didn't save much. Living paycheck to paycheck sucks, it sucks worse when you've got a huge bill hanging over your head each month.

Financial responsibility to me was being debt free. I have a credit card that pays for food, gas, stuff over the internet and a shotgun last month -- that card is paid off each month, I don't pay any interest.

Justin
October 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
Find an ad for a rifle you want in the local want ads.

Go there.

Pay cash.

If you can't afford a full-on rifle, buy a lower receiver. You can always get the rest of it later.

DO NOT GO INTO DEBT!

4v50 Gary
October 17, 2004, 03:19 PM
Absolutely not.

First, I have what I need.

Second, I can always build what I need.

Mark whiz
October 17, 2004, 04:37 PM
if you want the gun....................but it NOW before the election...........if Kerry wins and the DemoKrats get the Senate back, nothing can be done til the Spring of 2005. BUT the prices will start going up the day after the election, as eveybody starts stocking up for the inevitable.

To borrow from the DemoKrats voting motto........................Buy now, and buy often! :D

jeff-10
October 17, 2004, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Seen the polls lately?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry.html

Looks like Bush pretty much is taking them all.

Roon
October 17, 2004, 05:37 PM
The only time to get cocky is AFTER the election. There are way too many close races out there, including Florida!

Linux&Gun Guy
October 17, 2004, 06:51 PM
I can't do anything about it! Luckily I have a gun(thank Dog!) and its a good freedom stick type gun. I will be buying 30.06 ammo for my Garand come November.

If you enjoyed reading about "Charge a rifle if kerry wins, just to be safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!