"mouse gun" velocities out of longer bbls.

PDA

ToxicSports
October 14, 2004, 03:26 AM
Hello all,

I am searching for some information. I have both a .25 and .32 acp that I carry CCW. I have a crapload of ammo sitting around and I was wondering what type of velocities I could get with these rounds out of 16", 18" and 20" barrels?

Also, just recently I have been interested in purchasing a 7.62x25 caliber handgun. I have read that this round will travel around 1600 FPS out of a 10" barrel. Does anyone know what the velocity of this round would be out of--again-- a 16", 18" and 20" length bbl?

I know that the velocities, of any of these rounds, aren't going to be something to write home about but I was just pondering the thought.

Maybe a good subsonic round for close quarter varmint hunting or with these calibers is that a SUB-Subsonic round?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TS

If you enjoyed reading about ""mouse gun" velocities out of longer bbls." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
October 14, 2004, 03:29 AM
I think it would not give you much gain at all. The powder capacity of those cases is so small that a longer barrel might give you less velocity due to bullet drag slowing down the projectile when the propellant has fully burned, and the gas pressure drops. .22LR is a good example: top velocities are consistently achieved with a 16" barrel. Much more than this, and muzzle velocity drops off.

cls12vg30
October 14, 2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah a lot of the surplust 7.62x25 Tokarev loads have been clocked up around 1600. Then there's the Magsafes in 7.62x25, which have been clocked between 2200 and 2500 fps.

If you enjoyed reading about ""mouse gun" velocities out of longer bbls." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!