Liberals jabber, I just watch

PDA

JesusCow
October 14, 2004, 09:59 AM
I live in the most liberal city in Texas and I go to the local community college. I have a teacher for Sociology who is from California. She had an immigrant Mexican mother and an immigrant Philipino(sp?) father.

Anyways, since quite a few of the people in our class are Criminal Justice majors, she decided we'd go into crime a little. She started out right here:

"Who here frequents Wal-Mart?" (she raises her hand, as well as 1 or 2 others in class)

"You know, I had a bit of culture shock when I first went into a Wal-Mart in Texas. I went to the Sporting Goods section and... they.. they actually sell rifles!" (i just started laughing/shaking my head.. in my head)

A few minutes of dumb hunting discussion went on and our teacher said something like, "I took a self defense class, and I know how to use a gun, so I can protect myself... but I don't own a gun.":scrutiny:

In front of me there was a discussion (between a black male and white female) about having a shotgun on the dashboard of your vehicle.

BM: "Did you know you could drive around with a shotgun on your dashboard and the cops can't do anything about it?" (edit: implying it couldnt be on the floor...)
WF: "Yeah, but you have to have a license."
BM: "Yeah."

:barf:

Education is essential..

If you enjoyed reading about "Liberals jabber, I just watch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
October 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
My favorite bumper sticker in Austin: "Keep Austin wierd.":D

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2004, 05:40 PM
...I can protect myself... but I don't own a gun.

Perhaps she can talk criminals into submission.

GLOCKME
October 14, 2004, 11:43 PM
I did not know that Walmart could be a "culture" shock..

I know my Wallyworld is my culture as it sells ammo really cheap..:)

SkyDaver
October 15, 2004, 01:47 AM
With a minor thread hijack, I just wanted to comment on wally world.

As I start my quest to add a long gun to the inventory (other than a Remington 41 .22, and HR 88 20gauge) I called my local wally world about a persuader ... they 'stopped selling that type of gun' (scary looking black guns, I guess)

Finally decided that budget will allow a shotgun over a semi-auto rifle, so I'm trying to decide between a Mossberg 500 persuader (less expensive) and the Remington 870, either in the 18" express, or the 20 gauge youth model.

Price is a very high ranking criteria.

Deavis
October 16, 2004, 10:39 AM
I don't think that is an Austin thing at all. Before I moved to Austin I dealt with the same thing at Rice in Houston. Students from other states just about lost their minds when they found out you could carry a rifle or shotgun down the street. Not to mention a concealed HANDGUN!

One guy was dating this diehard liberal who said, "Why do you need a gun, that is what the police are for." The response... "Not everyone lives in a gated community with a 1 minute police response time, honey."

sigh... the stupidity of people, when it comes to guns, never ceases to amaze me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Liberals jabber, I just watch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!