If you were CEO of Ruger Inc.

PDA

twoblink
October 14, 2004, 11:17 AM
Nate and I got talking.. and it led me to think about the strange possibility, since Ruger is a publically traded company; what if you bought enough shares to vote yourself as CEO?

What would you do as CEO of Ruger Firearms?

I'll give it a go.. As CEO, I'd open up with a speech that began with:

"No Honest Man.... needs less than 30 rounds in their magazine..."

:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were CEO of Ruger Inc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
October 14, 2004, 11:23 AM
"I apologize for Bill Ruger. His sordid actions will be wiped clean from the history of this company."

foghornl
October 14, 2004, 11:26 AM
Good start...

Next thing, stiffen up the Mini-14/30 barrels a bit.

Make a Mini-308 under $600.

Standard capacity mags for the P-series handguns.

Buy some Volquartsen (sp?) extractors to find out why those are so much better than the standard 10-22 extractor type, and make the 10-22's like the Volquartsen ones. (From what I see, that is the weakest part of a 10-22....Foggy says, while donning asbestos bloomers :D )

Sergeant Sabre
October 14, 2004, 11:44 AM
I'd make a lever rifle in .454

rock jock
October 14, 2004, 11:48 AM
There are probably not enough shares on the open market to wrest 51% control. And, of course, if you did start to buy that many, the share price would rocket up. You would better of starting your own company and then you could do and say what you wanted from the outset.

41mag
October 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
I would promote a self-shucking hunting rifle that shoots rifle rounds & uses a detachable magazine.I'd also push for a heavy barreled variant that,coincedently,can be made to use either M-14 or FAL type magazines.

My pet project would be to bring back the "Maximum" single action frame.I'd dearly love to see factory five shooters in .357/.414/.445Supermag.Other chamberings to include .454Casull,.480Rug/.475Linebaugh,.50AE,&,what the heck,.500 S&W.W/the Bisley frame option,of course.

:D

When do I start?

tulsamal
October 14, 2004, 11:55 AM
I would bring back the adjustable sight version of the Single Six in .32 Magnum. And offer it in stainless.

I would make sure there were multiple versions of the No 1 and Mk 77 available in 6.5x55 Swedish.

I would send the engineers back to the beginning and tell them I want a rifle like the original Deerstalker but in 10mm. Tube magazine. Nothing sticking out of the bottom. Nice and slick like a slightly larger 10/22 but with some real punch. I guess we could sell another version in 10mm and .45 ACP that takes Glock 20 and 21 magazines. But I would make some flush fitting 5-8 round magazines for them as well for times you don't want a mag jutting way out of the rifle.

Make five shot versions of the Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 and .480. I don't need that sixth shot and I would prefer more steel in the cylinder.

And modifications to the Mini-14 sounds like a great idea. Talk to the people who have been accurizing them and figure out what a Mini-14 Mk II would be like. Steal a march on the competition and see if you can't start making one in 6.8. Sell it with a 20 shot magazine and Remington would have an ammo winner on their hands.

What happened to that side by side Ruger? Is it actually for sale yet?

Figure out what went wrong with a dual cylinder Bearcat and fix it. A little gun like that in .22 WMR is a great idea.

Look at the S&W 696 and the Taurus Trackers and figure out a way to make a 5 shot 41 Magnum and .44 Special in a mid size gun. Might make that 3 inch GP100 with half lug barrel into a real seller!

I'm sure I could think of many more!

Gregg

ballistic gelatin
October 14, 2004, 11:56 AM
In a word, overhaul......

A big "howdy" speech would be great, of course it would include promises of no-one losing their jobs and blah, blah, blah feel good stuff. Emphasizing Sturm Ruger's rich history in the American Firearms Industry. Followed up with promises of a brighter tomorrow.

Then I'd review the financial and sales records for the past two years and see what models were actually profitable. Find out who's got the big salaries and who's calling the shots in manufacturing, development, sales.

Revamp the product line. Probably break it down like this:
1. cowboy action
2. hunting/sporting/target
3. defensive weapons/law enforcement

Get rid of models that don't sell and improve weapons that could be better sellers. Sales staff would either hate or love me. Manufacturing would love me. New Marketing Director, then they would love me.

And oh yeah, maximize magazine capacities on every firearm. Give away free stuff with fierarms purchase (i.e., t-shirts, nra memberships, earmuffs, shooting glasses, knives, free ammo, Camp Perry tickets, etc.) Advertise on outdoor channels and during tv-shows like COPS, Law & Order, CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, CSI Hoboken, Lifetime, Oprah Winfrey, ER, Will and Grace, Survivor. SPonsor highschool shooting teams with rifles, apparel, gear. Sponsor the SWAT competitions in Orlando, Florida and a whold bunch of other fun stuff like that...Marketing.

Drastically reduce the "special edition" firearms.
Make a 1911
Make a .308 semi-auto
Make a .308 "precision sniper rifle"
Make an AR/AK/Mini-14 hybrid mutant
Make a .50 caliber rifle

When is my interview?
:D

zahc
October 14, 2004, 12:09 PM
reduce the weight of every trigger in the lineup by 80%.

El Tejon
October 14, 2004, 12:12 PM
Wasn't the prototype Ruger .308 the "XM14" or something like that? Having mental block.:scrutiny:

cslinger
October 14, 2004, 12:17 PM
Introduce a concealed carry line as my first act of business. The demand is out there and the closest thing they have is the SP101 which is a phenominal gun but a little on the chunky side.

So first order of business put the SP101 on a bit of a diet and scale down the P-Series into a series of small autochuckers to compete with the the Glocks and XD's etc.

I would also re-design the loaded chamber indicators (Which I like). I just don't like the fact that it is as big as a friggen sail on a 17th century frigate.

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING I WOULD DO IS MAKE THOSE FRIGGEN MAGAZINE DISCONNECTS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!

JamisJockey
October 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
1) Denounce Bill Ruger as a threat to the constitution.
2) Introduce a concealed carry line
3) flood the streets with fully automatic baby killing rifles :neener:

twoblink
October 14, 2004, 12:33 PM
Uttering "MAGAZINE DISCONNECTS " would be an instant salary reduction if I were CEO..

oh yeah, the sucky triggers... I'd hire a few guys on trigger duty..

Nate wanted me to urinate on Bill Ruger's grave. I wouldn't go so far.. Fertilizing it, now that's not a bad idea :neener:

ccw? Definitely. They need a ccw line.

Pump 357Mag Rifle!!

cslinger
October 14, 2004, 12:56 PM
Ruger triggers are heavy and a little gritty out of the box but with use they really smooth up nicely.

Chris

TonyB
October 14, 2004, 01:18 PM
Bring back the Six line....sp 101 in 44 spec.....ccw line(as others have said.)Send everyone who has a Ruger auto 2 high cap. mags.....:cool:

halvey
October 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
Either figure out the Gold Label mess or scrap it.

cthulhu138
October 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
I'd personally call each and every government agency that does not understand the concept of "Shall not be infringed" and let them know that until they get right with the constitution, they need to go buy something else (they do anyway).

Then, to be honest, I'd show up once a month just to say I did, and spend the rest of my time personally assuring that Ruger firearms functioned well and were highly accurate. And hang out on a yacht with the rugerettes shooting bouys at least twice a month when the weather was nice.

I'd last a few months before they fired me, but it sure would be a good few months.

Halffast
October 14, 2004, 04:22 PM
Wasn't the prototype Ruger .308 the "XM14" or something like that? Having mental block.

It was the XGI and they scrapped it when they couldn't get the bugs out at the intended market price.

Ewok
October 14, 2004, 05:09 PM
There are probably not enough shares on the open market to wrest 51% control. And, of course, if you did start to buy that many, the share price would rocket up.

If I'm reading this right, 81% is on the open market.

Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR)

Market Cap (Mil) $235
Shares Outstanding (Mil) 27
Public Float (Mil) 22
Last 8.52
52-Week High 13.97 (02/25/04)
52-Week Low 8.29 (08/06/04)

R.H. Lee
October 14, 2004, 05:22 PM
52-Week High 13.97 (02/25/04)
52-Week Low 8.29 (08/06/04) That's quite a spread in less than 6 months.

Jim March
October 14, 2004, 05:44 PM
CCW line, of course.

Here's an odd one: take the various 357Mag SAs and offer them with a second cylinder in 356GNR.

That round is a 41Magnum necked down to 357, and offers MORE performance than the 357Maximum but with a standard frame!

See also:

http://www.sixgunner.com/backissues/paco/356gnr.htm

http://www.cartridgeperformance.com/product.htm#revolver

In a Hunter variant, Bisley, Blackhawk or even Vaquero/BizVaq, this would *rock*.

Lobotomy Boy
October 14, 2004, 05:58 PM
Dvelop a new line of poly-framed autoloading pistols

Concealed carry line:
Ultra compact, single-stack 9mm/.40 cal/.45 cal
Compact double stack 9mm/.40 cal/.45 cal

Value-priced, high-content M77 to compete with Tikka T3

Vastly improved Mini 14/Mini 30/Mini .308

PC .45 cal/10 mm carbine

Lever-action .308 carbine

Performance Center-type 10/22 and GP 100

Standard capacity mags all around

Delmar
October 14, 2004, 06:24 PM
The first thing I'd do is buy Colt, tell the state of Connecticut to check out the mistletoe on my shirt tail, move them lock, stock, barrel and prancing pony to either Arizona or Texas. Finally, no more rumors...........

Colt becomes my "premium" division of pistol products. Nothing marked "Ruger" on them.

All 1911A1's go steel and wood, made of the same heat treated parts as the old ones were. No plastic, sintered metal-MIM, or cast parts need apply.

Everything goes into production on CNC machinery as much as possible, especially the SAA, along with the Python and Anaconda.

I think that I might have to drop the MkII 22 line and bring back the Woodsman, or just keep the basic MkII with the Woodsman at the top.

The AR line stays pretty much the same.

Every center fire bolt action rifle gets the MKII palma match trigger and get rid of the non-adjustable abomination they currently use.

The mini-14 gets a complete overhaul and beefed up to take military type abuse, accurized to no more than 1.5 MOA, and develop a MAXI-14 in 243/7-08/308 Win., standard and super grades.

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2004, 06:26 PM
If I woke up tomorrow morning and discovered I'd somehow become the C.E.O. of Ruger, I'd immediately issue a public apology for making such wretched firearms, then resign.

After buying a Mark II pistol a year ago, I'll never buy another Ruger anything.

tulsamal
October 14, 2004, 06:33 PM
If I woke up tomorrow morning and discovered I'd somehow become the C.E.O. of Ruger, I'd immediately issue a public apology for making such wretched firearms, then resign.

After buying a Mark II pistol a year ago, I'll never buy another Ruger anything.

I guess the polite thing to say is to point out that most of the gun buying public is in disagreement with you!

And the half a dozen or so around my house are all good guns. Anybody can get a lemon I guess. (My person MK II is a very sweet pistol.)

Gregg

combat effective
October 14, 2004, 06:35 PM
police carbine in .45ACP

bring back the Security Six

make an accurate Mini-14

Correia
October 14, 2004, 06:46 PM
Holy crap, for some of you guys ambitions, hire me as your Controller so I can keep you from quickly going out of business. :p

AirPower
October 14, 2004, 06:56 PM
make R1911, Ruger 1911 that is. :D

combat effective
October 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot one. I'd introduce a pump shotgun line.

Andrew P
October 14, 2004, 08:05 PM
I have a really good friend that has a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel. He used to be sponsored by Ruger. Until one day he gets a phone call from Ruger and they tell him that they are pulling there sponsorship because Bill Ruger did not like seeing animals being shot with his rifles. He is now sponsored by Thompson Center.

Skofnung
October 14, 2004, 09:43 PM
The smartest thing that could be done aside from what has already been mentioned would be to submit a poll on all of the internet gun boards asking consumers "what do you want?"

Bill Ruger... What a dottard. :banghead:

twoblink
October 14, 2004, 10:57 PM
and what, get consumer feedback? That "market research stuff" is for companies that want to make money, sorry, you've got the wrong company..

$118M gets you controlling stake of the company.

TallPine
October 14, 2004, 11:45 PM
Make a 357 Blackhawk/Vaquero in a medium frame version, instead of the big frame 44/45 with smaller holes in the cylinder .... :rolleyes:

Black Majik
October 14, 2004, 11:56 PM
"My pistols will no longer look ugly! The designers have been fired."

"Yes I'm jumping the bandwagon. Let me introduce the Ruger 1911!!" :D

"Let me introduce the new full barrel lug .44 Magnum DA revolver!"

"I have burned all the safety rollmarks in the company basement. From this day forward none of our firearms will carry those stupid safety precautions on the side of our firearms. Only in the owners manual."

"Let me introduce our new GP series in .500 S&W!"

"Let me introduce the SP in .44 magnum"

CB900F
October 14, 2004, 11:57 PM
Fella's;

Veeery Interestink! I'd re-read this list several times & incorporate some of the suggestions fer sure, fer sure. However, on my own hook, I'd provide a few more options for the left handed folks buying guns. Since I know that Bill is not at all inclined to further that area of his product line.

How about a model 77 with a nicer trigger, a better barrel and a 6.5 X 55 chambering? How about a .338 Winmag LHB from anybody American for that matter? Sure, the Savage company SAYS you can buy one from them, but when I tried I couldn't. Bought a Tikka instead. D'rutherd bought American; Ruger woulda done just fine.

Then, let's get ergonomic with the P-series pistols. Why does the slide safety go up to fire? Did they just copy S&W, or is there a real reason for it to be awkward? Changes need to be made.

I don't need a million dollar a year salary either. Just enough for a new Ducati. Now that Ducati is American owned ya see.

900F

Lobotomy Boy
October 15, 2004, 12:10 AM
While I would like to see a Ruger 1911, I can't imagine it would make much business sense to spend the money to develop a gun from scratch for such an overcrowded market unless Ruger could introduce some geniunely unique and desirable feature.

Dionysusigma
October 15, 2004, 05:37 AM
Special editions: Scrapped.
Any variation of the 10-22 (except for the bone-stock): Scrapped.
Mini-30: Scrapped.
Entire autoloading centerfire pistol line: Completely overhauled.

Start polls and listen to what people want. Attempt compliance at the very least.

Buy Kel-Tec and their CNC equipment. Just because Sturm Ruger is an investment casting company doesn't mean that absolutely everything we do has to be cast. Further develop the Kel-Tec design and make a CCW line.

Modify the Mini-14 receiver design so that it takes standard AR-15/M-16 magazines.

Contemplate making a Mini-.308, but be unable to get this image out of my mind...
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/rifles/SOCOM16.jpg

(Hey, check this out! It's a MIM/cast receivered, M-14 mag using, semi-auto .308 carbine!) :rolleyes: ;) :evil:

seeker_two
October 15, 2004, 07:05 AM
SP-101 w/ Terhune Anticorro frame (the alloy they use for the P-series pistols)....

Mark II/III in .22Mag...

Model 96 lever-action rifle in .357Mag/.38Spl, 10mm, and .30Carbine. Also a version in .223 & 7.62x39 that use Mini-14/30 mags....

Model 99 semi-auto rifle in .357Mag, 10mm, & .30Carbine...

GP-100 w/ Terhune Anticorro frame in .357Mag, .41Mag, & .44Spl...

P-90 Hunter in 10mm & .45 Super...

Bring back the Old Model Blackhawk frames for .45Colt & smaller calibers. Reserve the New Model frames for .454Casull, .480 Ruger, and other big boomers...

Research what modifications are commonly done to the Mark II/III pistols, Blackhawk/Vaquero pistols, 10-22, Model 77, and No. 1 rifles & offer them as factory options...

Rework my price structure to where my products can competitively undercut all the other manufacturers...

...IMHO, of course. :D

Zach S
October 15, 2004, 09:23 AM
Publicly apologize for the actions and statements made by Bill Ruger, online, in the catalogue, the gun rags, and a thread like this one titled "CEO of Ruger here. What do I do now?" After weeding through the "GFY, you sellout" posts I'd put the most popular/best suggestions in an online poll (to prioritize, most popular first, ya know?), however it wouldn't have a coice for "CC product line," there'd be no need since it would already be in the works.

twoblink
October 15, 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm voting for a "trigger" department as priority 1...

Bwana John
October 15, 2004, 10:36 AM
reduce the weight of every trigger in the lineup by 80%.

Adjustable triggers on the Mod 77 line!

Tamara
October 15, 2004, 10:43 AM
"I have burned all the safety rollmarks in the company basement. From this day forward none of our firearms will carry those stupid safety precautions on the side of our firearms. Only in the owners manual."

That's the result of a court settlement, actually...

BryanP
October 15, 2004, 12:49 PM

------------------------------------------------------

I guess the polite thing to say is to point out that most of the gun buying public is in disagreement with you!

And the half a dozen or so around my house are all good guns. Anybody can get a lemon I guess. (My person MK II is a very sweet pistol.)

Exactly. I own one Ruger - my 22/45. It functions flawlessly. Apparently Standing Wolf's experience was not quite so pleasant.

Majic
October 15, 2004, 03:44 PM
Way back when I bought a Standard Model .22lr (before there was a MkII). It didn't stay around here very long as I wasn't very impressed with it. Chalk me up as the CEO whose first act is to scrap the pistol and start over fresh.

Sven
October 15, 2004, 08:08 PM
$118 Million would be better spent starting your own firearms brand.

Zeke Menuar
October 15, 2004, 10:51 PM
Close up shop. Liquidate all assets. Go on vacation.

No more Rugers EVER!

ZM

carebear
October 15, 2004, 11:28 PM
Expand the golf club lineup to include a 3-wood and a set of cast Ti irons

SodiumBenzoate
October 17, 2004, 03:09 AM
Make a slightly upscaled version of the 10/22, chambered in .223/5.56.
Make factory high-caps for the 10/22, 20/30/50 rounds.

atek3
October 17, 2004, 05:34 AM
slightly upscaled version of the 10/22, chambered in .223/5.56.

you'd have to totally overhaul the bolt design. the 10/22 is blow back, a 223 blow back would be a "blow up" design. Maybe something like the AR-180 gas system would work, but leave the gun light and handy.

atek3

entropy
October 17, 2004, 07:18 AM
1. Change the name. Apologize for the previous owner's anti 2A stance.

2. Have Bill Ruger's corpse exhumed, then shot with one of his own guns, and send the video to the CEO's of S&W and Colt.

3. Have all the R&D, Design, and Engineering Dept. people take courses in art and esthetics. (the revolver guys to study S&W and Colts from 1900-1960.)

4. Get rid of that ^%^8 folding rear peep sight on the Mini-14 (and what ever else they put it on) , and design something that works (and looks) better. (see # above)

5. Have Wolff make all the spring for my guns, because that's the first thing most people do with them any how.

6. Sell FA's to anyone legal to buy, not just LEO's. (Not that the AC556 is that great anyway.) Actually market the SMG.

7. Make Hank, Jr. a member of the board, and come out with a line of firearms with his name and design input. (Just because I can.:) )

8. Make large cap mags, and make them available to owners of Klinton mags for cost.

9. Hammerless scandium redesigned SP101.

10. Then on the second day......

Black Snowman
October 17, 2004, 01:11 PM
Take a job on the floor as a new guy. Learn what everyone thinks about how things are done and the decisions that are made above them. Take lots of notes.

Split the firearms portion of the company from the rest creating and entirely new entity and escaping much old legal bagage. Of course we would have to store the safety roll-marks at the factory still making golf clubs.

Fire all the dead weight in management. Promote the clever and tallented people from the floor to R&D and management. Impliment the good ideas we can afford to in production.

CC line a must in todays market. Look how well the SP sells.

All new design firearms would have shared magazines with another company. Mostly CZ/Tanfoglio due to MecGars history of making quality and inexpensive magazines for them. Pistol caliber carbines re-introduced taking redily available magazines such as UZI, Sten, etc . . . .

All 223 rifles would be made to take USGI magazines. On bolt actions it would be an option.

In the interest of public safety the reliability of the weapons would be optimized. Unnessisary complications such as magazine disconnects, internal locks, and complicated loaded chamber indicators would be removed except for special runs for states suffering 2A violations.

All new guns would include 2 flush fit and 2 maximum capacity magazines (except where prohibited).

Maximum capactiy magazines for restricted states would be made (10, 15 rds, etc . . .) in every gun where practical. This would include making extended magazines in some models.

Make special editions FUNCTIONALLY special. Like off-caliber runs, odd barrel lengths, integrated scope mounts, etc . . .

Everything else would be determined by sales. I know the preceding items would sell like hot-cakes. It will take a while to recover from the capital investment to pull it off. Once the company can afford it, fulfill a personal fantasy and release an extensive line of 10mm firearms in autos, revolvers, and carbines.

JoeWang
October 17, 2004, 09:22 PM
Ruger makes pretty good cash flow, and has no debt. However the legal implications of the industry make its future price prediction volitile. Investors would probably balk at the takeover.

They do tap an underserved market with their value price offering though. If I want a brick ????house of a handgun I'll get a Ruger, $350's new everywhere. If I want to look cool I'll get a Glock $450+. If I want a Swiss watch I'll get a Sig $650+ or a real 1911 for the same.

Nice thing about the Rugers is they make great glove box guns or under the seat guns. Who cares if they get scratched up or a little surface rust?

gbran
October 17, 2004, 10:40 PM
I'd offer a single six hunter in 17hmr/17m2 combo.

Clean97GTI
October 17, 2004, 11:21 PM
If I woke at the helm of Ruger...

There would be a 10mm autoloader. Both polymer and metal framed

A 1911 would follow shortly there after...chambered in 9mm, .40, 10mm and .45 (perhaps .38 Super as well)

Purchase Colt

Begin making a new AR-15 replacement. A piston system as well as chambering it for a better caliber.

Carbines and SMG's geared towards police/military use. H&K has a huge stranglehold with their stupidly simple MP5 line. Ruger could wrest that away under my eye.

A CCW line of pistols

Research revolvers and begin with modest improvments

The Mini-14 and Mini-30 would get overhauls. I may also add the option to chamber the 30 in 5.45.

A Mini-308 would be added-with options for other calibers available from the next idea.

A "Performance Center" that acts like a full custom shop/gunsmith/testing facility.

Oh, everything comes with full capacity magazines

twoblink
October 18, 2004, 05:42 AM
Should I email Ruger a link to this thread?

seeker_two
October 18, 2004, 07:06 AM
Should I email Ruger a link to this thread?

If they even HAVE e-mail, do you think they'd listen?

They don't even listen to suggestions on the Ruger Forum, and actual Ruger EMPLOYEES post there... :banghead:

Rob62
October 18, 2004, 10:59 AM
First and fore most I'd talk to the bean counters and lawyers to get their views on what is the number one issue that is likely to affect Ruger's profitability.

Next I'd talk to as many of the workers on the various manufacturing floors as I could. There's got to be lots of stuff they see that could or should be done better / more cost affective. I honestly want to hear from them. While I probably wouldn’t initially implement many of these suggestions I want and need as CEO know what the workers are feeling and seeing.

Establish a stock price goal for 6 months, 1yr, 18 months, 2yrs etc.

Then I'd look at reducing the current line of guns by about 25% - 35%. Reducing non-profitable or marginally profitable items will help with the bottom line. I'm sure there would be many people who will get upset by this but my focus initially would be on those items that are popular and are making the company money.

Next I'd look at those items that are Ruger's "best sellers" and see what if anything could be done to increase their market share even more.

I'd defiantly want to increase the commercial casting operation. There's tons of money to be made in the golf club industry and if Ruger is not the top or one of the top makers of golf club's/heads then I’d want to know why and how we could get there. As CEO I'd actually focus as much if not more effort here as I would on the firearms side of the house. It’s all about the Benjamin's baby! No doubt the casting operation is bringing them in - now how can it do more.

I'd make sure someone is running Customer Service who knows what they are doing. There would be lots of focus in this area. While I believe Ruger has good customer service there is zero margin for error here. Quality customer service needs to be more than a catch phrase. My goal would be to have Ruger customer service rated #1 by independent industry analysts within 1 year of me walking in the door. If that were not to happen, I'd be one PO'd CEO!

Lastly I'd look at the issue of what products made Ruger great and how they can be made better or at least more marketable. The answer from here seems obvious.

Ruger MK II .22RF pistols - there is no doubt I'd keep that line - probably reduce some of the variations that are not best sellers.
Ruger single action revolvers - they are a keeper for sure- reduce variations that are not best sellers.
Ruger SP101 line - a winner line of handguns IMO.
Ruger M77 rifles - bread and butter line of rifles but too many variants this line would take a big hit in getting reduced.
Ruger No 1's I imagine this line is not a big money maker, I know I'd reduce this line for sure.
Ruger Mini 14's look at costs of improving accuracy while reducing the line overall. Sorry no .308 Win. would be in the plans in my world. However I'd look hard at the 7.62x39mm variant and see what if anything could be done to increase sales of it.
Ruger 10/22's this has got to be the number 1 seller at Ruger I'd probably slightly increase the cost to wholesalers while reducing the line to no more than 5 basic models. #1 basic basic model, #2 longer std. stainless barrel model, #3 heavy target barrel syn stock model, #4 target wood stock, target barrel, #5 fancy wood Manlicher (sp) stock model.

My thoughts about "Hi Cap" magazines is that they should be available but only as an accessory purchase through the factory. For many different reasons I would not ship guns with hi caps but they would be available to anyone who might wan them by purchasing direct through Rugers customer service department.

Things I would not or probably not do. Change the design of Mini 14's so that they could take AR 15 magazines. Initially increase product line. Make a "Tactical .308 heavy barrel bolt action rifle" - too many already out there. Bring back the Security Six (I've got one and love it BTW). Make NO apologies for Rugers past behavior. I would emphasize Rugers new future potential and the continued commitment of Ruger to quality, innovation and customer service. Look at outsourcing any jobs overseas.

Anyway that's what I would do and then I'd probably wake up from my dream.

Rob

Werewolf
October 18, 2004, 11:12 AM
If I were CEO of RUGER...

I'd convert all my stock options to stock that I could convert.

File the appropriate forms with the SEC and sell each and every share all at once - (NOTE: the CEO of a major firm doing this would heavily impact investor confidence in the company)

Then quit without giving notice. Notice hell. I'd just walk out the door one day with a hearty "kiss my @ss and a see ya - wouldn't wanna be ya" parting comment.

However, since a company officer has a fiduciary duty to the stockholders I couldn't/wouldn't do what I would really want to do which is liquidate the assets, dissolve the corporation and put the Ruger family out on the street! I'd feel sorry for the Ruger employees but - well - they'd just have to suck it up.

Disregarding the fact that I despise Ruger's politics my experience with their products is that they are poorly built, poorly engineered CRAP! :cuss: The gun community would be better off without 'em.

twoblink
October 18, 2004, 01:51 PM
Werewolf,

I find Ruger products to be quite innovative in theory, and some are just poorly executed..

That's all. No need to be so bitter, he's dead.....

SunBear
October 18, 2004, 02:18 PM
That is SO weird!!! All of MY 20 - 30 Rugers over the last 30 years were tough as a tank and lots of fun. :neener: :evil:

bullseye717
November 1, 2004, 01:52 PM
I'd design a 1911 using existing P-Series parts. It would be a modified lower shaped to be smiliar to a 1911, ditto with the slide. It would also be a single-action. A hybrid p89 and 1911.

tex_n_cal
November 2, 2004, 12:22 AM
you guys know what I want...:evil:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=76221

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were CEO of Ruger Inc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!