Bubba's helpin' the cause, blows hand off...

PDA

erik the bold
October 14, 2004, 04:39 PM
From the Detroit Free Press
http://www.freep.com/news/metro/policebrief14e_20041014.htm

Police brief of the week

October 14, 2004

By Joel Thurtell

Taylor, Mi

Hand blown off; beer no factor, man says (emphasis added)

A 42-year-old man who blew his left hand off while testing a black powder rifle Oct. 1, told police from his hospital bed that the half-gone, still-cold 40-ounce bottle of beer they found in his driveway only came into play while he was waiting for an ambulance following the mishap.

The victim told police that before he accidentally triggered the explosion, he had used half a can of beer for cooking batter.

Next door to the accident in the 6100 block of Gulley, here's how events unfolded for a 37-year-old neighbor who was playing basketball.

A few minutes before midnight, the neighbor heard "a big boom" and called to his neighbor to see whether he was OK, according to the police report.

"No, help me, I blew my hand off," the victim said.

The 37-year-old and another neighbor ran to help and found the victim "holding his left arm," the report said. "The victim's hand was barely attached."

At Detroit Receiving Hospital, the victim told police he was testing the gun and it "exploded into pieces."

Police also noted a bullet hole in the top of the garage door. The bullet had knocked out and splintered part of the wooden door frame, according to the report.

:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bubba's helpin' the cause, blows hand off..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
middy
October 14, 2004, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm... I think I'd need a beer at that point, too.

41mag
October 14, 2004, 04:49 PM
That's just too funny!:evil:

R.H. Lee
October 14, 2004, 04:52 PM
In Michigan, no less. So this stuff doesn't always happen in the South.

erik the bold
October 14, 2004, 05:01 PM
That's why the city's knickname is "Taylor-Tuckey" (many appologies to the fine folks in KY, I'm just repeating what I heard.......)

Kinda like, "Hey y'all, check this out!!"

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2004, 06:36 PM
The victim told police that before he accidentally triggered the explosion, he had used half a can of beer for cooking batter.

I think he should have stayed in the kitchen.

Little Loudmouth
October 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
Just have to toss this in. The traditional call of the rednecks:

"Hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this!"

jefnvk
October 14, 2004, 09:06 PM
Just have to toss this in. The traditional call of the rednecks:

"Hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this!"

Thats about the time most sane people head the other direction :rolleyes:

stevelyn
October 14, 2004, 09:36 PM
Testing a BP rifle in a residential area a few minutes before midnight.:scrutiny:
How much ya wanna bet the '40' clouded his judgement enough to dump smokeless powder down the barrel?
Too bad he didn't fire it from the hip. He could have been up for a Darwin then.:D

Bart Noir
October 14, 2004, 10:12 PM
It's midnight.

He's trying to sleep.

Neighbors are playing hoop-ball, loudly.

I can see how the guy wanted to do some shooting.

I just can't see how he managed to get into the house, grab the beer, run back out, and guzzle half before the neighbors came running over. But, I wasn't there.

Bart Noir

nico
October 14, 2004, 10:38 PM
heck, if I had just blown off my hand that'd have been a half empty bottle of vodka:p

Onmilo
October 14, 2004, 11:56 PM
I'm guessing smokeless powder was somehow involved in the "Testing" procedure!

cthulhu138
October 15, 2004, 01:46 AM
Thats about the time most sane people head the other direction

No way. That's when you get about 20 feet back and get ready to run.

foghornl
October 15, 2004, 10:01 AM
Wanna see me run a sub-1-minute mile?

(50+ years old, bad knees, lousy hip joints, and 1 big toe that doesn't flex)

Start with.....

"Hey Foggy, Hold my beer & watch this...."

Gunpacker
October 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone could find this funny. Doesn't matter what the accident is, how uneducated the subject is related to firearms, it is still a sad event. At the very least, he is a member of the firearms community and deserves sympathy. Seems to me that it is kind of heartlesss of someone to laugh when someone is seriously injured. A reasonable comment on possible causes, or subject's lack of safety observation would be appropriate. But funny?? Those comments make a statement in themselves.
:(

erik the bold
October 15, 2004, 01:01 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone could find this funny......A reasonable comment on possible causes, or subject's lack of safety observation would be appropriate. But funny?? Those comments make a statement in themselves.

The intention of this post was a commentary on the aforementioned jack:cuss: for helping the anti's cause; fueling the notion that, "See? Firearms owners are a bunch of drunken bubbas!"

Hope he gets the full prosecution treatment.

Carlos
October 15, 2004, 01:38 PM
So, Erik the Bold, don't you think he was punished enough??? God almighty!!!!!

carebear
October 15, 2004, 02:50 PM

Well physically sure. A certain (read large) amount of savage heckling is also to be expected when one pulls a dumb-a stunt.

That's the phase we're in now. :p

erik the bold
October 15, 2004, 04:00 PM

In a word, No. This in-duh-vidual could possibly be charged with up to one felony and five civil/misdemeanor charges, not including disturbing the peace. Blowing his hand off (note that the article doesn't say if they were able to save the hand) is immaterial to the issue of their irresponsible behavior.

Potential list:
750.237 Liquor or controlled substance; possession or use of firearm by person under influence

752.863a Reckless, wanton use or negligent discharge of firearm

750.234b Intentionally discharging firearm at dwelling or occupied structure as felony

752.861 Careless, reckless or negligent use of firearms

752.862 Careless, reckless or negligent use of firearms; property damage

Sistema1927
October 15, 2004, 04:51 PM
Bill Clinton must be smiling: "Midnight Basketball"

buttrap
October 16, 2004, 03:22 AM
Bit of a legal gray area there as a BP weapon is not a firearm. Dangerous weapon for sure but not legaly a firearm.

straightShot
October 16, 2004, 09:40 AM
Bit of a legal gray area there as a BP weapon is not a firearm. Dangerous weapon for sure but not legaly a firearm.

In Michigan, a firearm is defined in the
Firearms Laws of Michigan as follows:

8.3t “Firearm” defined.
Sec. 3t. The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB’s not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.
History: Add. 1959, Act 189, Imd. Eff. July 22, 1959

Zach S
October 16, 2004, 10:03 AM
So 6mm airsoft guns are firearms...

erik the bold
October 16, 2004, 12:45 PM
So 6mm airsoft guns are firearms...

In Michigan, apparently so, since they can fire plastic or metal 6mm BB's at more than 400 FPS (some models). Interesting to note that many I have seen do not have the federally mandated orange tips used on "toys"

4v50 Gary
October 16, 2004, 01:16 PM
I don't think it's funny at all. Rather, he violated several rules of safe gun handling. Muzzle control & no alcohol. :(

TheLastBoyScout
October 16, 2004, 07:16 PM
Bill Clinton must be smiling: "Midnight Basketball"

This Simpsons quote just had to be said:

Milhouse: Investing in our youth, big mistake. Midnight basketball trained them to go without sleep, and free school lunches allowed them to grow into physically enhanced SUPERcriminals...

Tharg
October 17, 2004, 02:22 AM
HEY - don't stop at airsoft guns....

heck - go ahead and read back to that marble paintball gun....

heh

now THAT there is a dangerous weapon - whats the calibre of those marbles!!!!

J/Tharg!

EvilOmega
October 17, 2004, 04:57 AM

Um, how much have you had to drink?:scrutiny: Maybe they have funny ideas in your state.

One of the few things that make life bearable is laughing when stupid people hurt themselves.
:evil:

atek3
October 17, 2004, 05:00 AM
so he blew his left hand off...big whoop, thats why god gave us two. My gun dealer, he has no left hand (his name is Lefty), he still goes bear hunting with a 7mm Rem Mag.

atek3

pauli
October 18, 2004, 02:45 AM
i find the amount of judgement in this thread remarkable, given the total lack of technical details.

this is the high road, isn't it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bubba's helpin' the cause, blows hand off..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!