Mosin 91/30 "varmint"

PDA

max popenker
October 15, 2004, 07:27 AM
Hi
yesterday had a chance to examine an "exclusive exemplar" of KO-91/30MS, a "factory custom varmint" modification of the old Mosin 91/30, made by the "Molot" factory (which also makes Vepr semiauto rifles).

The only "old" parts are receiver, bolt, magazine and (worst of all) trigger group. Heavy cold hammer forged barel is of good quality, adjustable "CISM" type stock is made from walnut and is fitted with the aluminum rail under the forend, which is used to attach a bipod
Ugly side-mount with Weaver base is set way too high, to facilitate top loading into standard Mosin magazine, concealed within the stock.

the rifle weights about 5kg (~11lbs) empty, less scope. the trigger pull is just terrible, extra-long, gritty and with several stages... In the basic form, with the standard 7.62x54R ammo it shots "about 1MOA"...
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1295621

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin 91/30 "varmint"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
October 15, 2004, 08:07 AM
I think it's kinda cool looking. That scope mount would make it impossible to get a good cheek weld, though...

The only "old" parts are receiver, bolt, magazine and (worst of all) trigger group.

Some Crufflers will be along shortly with dogs and torches. ;)

Okiecruffler
October 15, 2004, 08:43 AM
Well, maybe not dogs and torches, but at least looks of confusion.
Looking at that I can only assume one thing. You guys have a very severe crack problem in Russia.

Langenator
October 15, 2004, 08:47 AM
I'm a cruffler (a fledgling one...only 1 safe full) and it doesn't bother me. I just have a couple questions:

1) Why, on why, leave the trigger if you're replacing damn near everything else?

2) What caliber? 7.62x54R would seem a bit excessive for varmints.

DMK
October 15, 2004, 08:50 AM
the trigger pull is just terrible, extra-long, gritty and with several stages It's a shame they couldn't have made the same improvements to the trigger as the Finnish made when they turned 1891s into M39s.

mhdishere
October 15, 2004, 10:10 AM
And I said I wanted to get into milsurp shooting because I hate guns that look like props in a grade-B sci fi movie.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

George S.
October 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
Looks like it could be a good hi-power benchrest rifle! M-N's are popular throughout America and there are even groups of folks who would cringe at the thought of sporterizing these rifles. There is a lot

I have a 1931 Izhevsk 91/30 (hex receiver) with matching numbers that been re-arsenaled but still looks like the way it was issued complete with dog-collar sling and tools. It's a whole lot of fun to shoot. It's not terribly accurate with groups running around 6" at 100 yards but it draws a lot of attention at the range. I use Czech silvertip ammo primarily as its pretty cheap.

Next on my list will be an M44.

cracked butt
October 15, 2004, 11:57 AM
I never thought that mosin nagants were all that pretty, but wow, my 91/30 now looks like a beauty queen.:cool:

jefnvk
October 15, 2004, 05:26 PM
If I didn;t believe you, I'd fight you to the death over whether or not that is a Mosin.

Simply astounding :confused:

(Don't mess with C&R)

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin 91/30 "varmint"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!