Paging 642 owners?

PDA

Brigrat
October 16, 2004, 01:08 AM
For all you S&W 642 owners, how do you carry your 642? I am particularly intersted in those who are forced to use the diminutive 642 as a primary weapon from time to time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paging 642 owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stephen A. Camp
October 16, 2004, 01:58 AM
Hello. I wear "Docker type" pants and use a pocket holster for daily carry and have for several years now. Right now, it's a Galco pocket holster.

Best.

Brigrat
October 16, 2004, 02:07 AM
That is very similar to what I use right now too. I am looking or something that will give me a little better access while seated, either at my desk, or in my Truck. I made my own pocket holster as opposed to the Galco model, but I am looking for something a little different. Unfortunately when I use my 642 as a backup, my duty belt, and gear blocks my acces to my front pockets, making access an issue with pocket carry. Not to mention the difficulties with drawing while seated. I will stick with pocket carry for now, but I am actively seekign another option. Thanks for your help though Mr. Camp.

Stephen A. Camp
October 16, 2004, 02:25 AM
Hello. Do your duty uniform or off-duty shirts fit loose enough to conceal a shoulder rig? In an emergency, buttons could be ripped off to get at the gun.

Best.

Ex-MA Hole
October 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
I researched this to death on THR, so no flames, ok?

Brigrat- I'm sort of in the same boat. Mine lives in a K and D pocket holster (www.kdholsters.com). I'm looking for something for long rides in the car. I'm leaning towards and ankle holster.

There are 100's of posts here about different ankle holsters, but without being able to try one on, I am a bit leary.

I'm also a lefty, which makes finding one to try even harder!

I'm sure that you are aware of this, but I learned the hard way, so I'll pass on. Generic holsters that are made for a j frame do not have a retention strap for the hammerless in mind when created. I'm going to assume that this is important to you. When shopping, make sure that the strap works for you!

M

AZGlock21
October 16, 2004, 02:16 PM
I carry mine in a Galco or a Nemesis pocket holster for times that I can't carry a larger gun.

DMK
October 16, 2004, 03:11 PM
I carry mine in my front pants pocket in a Desantis pocket holster. I've also carried in it a cargo pants pocket(when driving) and inside jacket pocket.

My usual carry gun is a Colt CCO 1911 IWB, but sometimes it's so convenient to slip the little 642 in the pocket, grab a speed strip or two and go.

nwiniewicz
October 16, 2004, 04:55 PM
I use either IWB or pocket carry with the 642 (depending on pants.) The IWB is nice as it leaves your pockets free for keys, change etc. Anyways, I use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick for pocket carry, and a High Noon Hidden Ally for IWB. The High Noon holster is a relatively inexpensive option and it seem to work pretty well....good retention, comfortable.

Zrex
October 16, 2004, 05:21 PM
nfortunately when I use my 642 as a backup, my duty belt, and gear blocks my acces to my front pockets, making access an issue with pocket carry. Not to mention the difficulties with drawing while seated. I will stick with pocket carry for now, but I am actively seekign another option.

I carry a 642 in my front pocket during the warm months.

In light of your situation, and your desire to have good access while seated at your desk, or in a truck, have you considered an ankle holster? Depending on your pant and shoe preference, that can be about the quickest thing you can get from the seated position.

albanian
October 16, 2004, 10:34 PM
IWB holster sometimes and coat pocket when it is cool out. The 642 is the perfect gun to carry in a coat pocket. You couldn't design a better coat pocket gun IMHO. As a IWB gun, it is a little chubby at the wheel.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
October 17, 2004, 01:35 AM
Early 70's in California a pair of highway patrolmen were executed in the desert and I made up some super hot .380 ammo for a armpit .380 under our officers uniform shirt. Some buttons were sewn on the front of the shirt with snaps underneath to be able to get at the weapons.

We did not think uniform buttons could be ripped off unobtrusively when someone had the drop on you.

Fitz

JoeHatley
October 17, 2004, 07:08 PM
Usually just toss it in a jacket pocket, generally with a simple nylon holster.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/642_2r.jpg

Joe

Super Trucker
October 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
I use a Uncle Mike's pocket holster or the Smart Carry. If you are a LEO, I have read about a holster that attach's to your vest for a back up revolver.

Bill B.
October 18, 2004, 08:50 PM
I use a Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle with mine. The only issue I have with it is that its a bear to get off! I also use their holsters with a 1911 and a Beretta 92. They function great and make presenting the pistol a snap but its quite hard to get them to release from the belt clip IMO.

Pete1953
October 19, 2004, 12:03 AM
My always carry gun is a S&W642 in a Mitch Rosen Workman Express pocket holster carried in my front pants pocket. When I get in the truck, I remove the gun with the holster and slide it between the seat and center seat portion (a tight fit). I rests against my right thigh.

Nick96
October 20, 2004, 10:36 PM
Mika's Pocket Holster (608-627-1152). Under $20 shipped to my mailbox. Good guy, LEO background, REAL WORLD concealed carry experience & fast turn around service.

ninjaj448
October 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
I just stick it in some pocket. To facilitate removal, I replaced the stock rubber boot grips with smooth wooden laminate jobs.

Brigrat
October 21, 2004, 01:31 PM
Wooden handles is a good idea.

I am currently experimenting with an ankle holster, and like it so far. Since this is a buckup, I don't mind the reduced access.

Thank you all for your replies, I may try a better pocket holster, and some wood grips.

I would like to find an ankle rig that is designed to hold the weapon upside down, or grip to the ground. I suppose I could just turn mine over, but I am concerned about retention.

Any ideas?

Serpico
October 21, 2004, 01:52 PM
Almost always on my ankle....great for seated and driving...lots of guys say it's not very tactical but you always have the option of pocket carry and can always move it back and forth, like at night on the way to the car. These grips are hard nylon and only cost around 20 bucks....they are called hideout grips and you can them from brownells. They come smooth or stippled and your choice of combat grip (shown) or regular...for the money they are hard to beat...as for upside down carry, this rig would hold it okay since the strap is for retention (you just pull the gun hard, don't need to unsnap)...only problem might be the grip hitting your ankle since it is not protected. Another problem I see with upside down carry is the draw....seems a bit akward.....but whatever floats your boat...just practice with whatever method you choose...
http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00000364/ren0001.JPG

Sportcat
October 21, 2004, 08:15 PM
How about some pics of these holsters? I used to own a 642 and carried it in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Considering buying another 642.

Classified00
October 21, 2004, 11:12 PM
Serpico.

I'm looking for grips that are only a tad larger than the factory but cover the backstrap.

Do those grips cover the backstrap?

Are those the 2 or 3 finger grooved?

Thanks!
:scrutiny:

Serpico
October 22, 2004, 02:05 PM
You are welcome....And these grips don't cover the back strap and have three grooves but the bottom one is very small..they are meant to be no larger than factory and really work well for ankle...I had oversized grips on it but it made concealment on the ankle tougher....for a little added gription (is that a word?) I cut a bicycle tire tube and wrapped it around the middle. I didn't want full rubber since rubber on the bottom of the grip causes the pants leg to catch when getting standing up...

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00000364/aluminum_442.jpg

saltydog452
October 22, 2004, 03:11 PM
The best (for me) piece of J frame revolver gear that I have ever ran across is the Barami Hip-Grip.

It wouldn't work too well for a uniformed LEO, those guys and gals have enough strapped around their waist.

salty.

Serpico
October 22, 2004, 03:28 PM
Oops...disregard all my info....i just realized, I don't have a 642...it's a hard chromed 442....sorry.;)

V-fib
October 23, 2004, 02:51 AM
I have CT grips on my 642. Usually carry it in a smartcarry. Sometimes if I'm just steppin outside I'll place it in my back pocket. Not fond of front pocket carry. :cool:

SapperLeader
October 23, 2004, 09:49 AM
I carry mine everyday in the front pocket in a Pocket Concealment Holster (PCH). I purchased the holster from lightning arms, and it is really nice. They have holsters for almost every pocket style, and draw preferance. I really recommond both the PCH, and lightning arms for the immense help in answering my numerous questions when I purchased it.

I occasionally carrry mine in a ankle holster, usually when Im dressed up, and dont want a unsightly bulge in my pocket. the ankle hoslter is called a pocket glove, and acts like a universal holster. Ive carried everything from my 642 to a bersa .380, to my keltec p-32. Real nice ankle holster, and fairly inexpensive.

Classified00
October 23, 2004, 10:49 AM
BTW, I meant to add this to my previous post.

I carry my 642 as my only firearm regularly. I carry it in my strongside front pocket, in a Desantis Nemesis holster. I easily forget it's there and I've not found a pair of shorts, slacks, or jeans that don't work well for me.

:scrutiny:

Bob79
October 27, 2004, 03:55 PM
Before we were allowed to wear the vest carriers over our uniform shirts (which we now do and I have a pocket sewn on the inside) I used a Fobus ankle holster.

I was concerned about it being secure w/o the hammer, but it stayed in just fine, and it was pretty comfortable too. I ran with it several times and it stayed in, not to say that during extreme physical contact it won't pop out.

But theres other options, do you wear the boots that come up real high? if so have you looked at the ankle holster that secures right to your boot via the laces? Do your uniform shirts have the zipper concealed behind the buttons? Because if its against your policy or whatever, the zipper is concealed behing the button overlap area. What I'm getting at is the bellyband holster that you could wear under your shirt, but over your vest, and all you would have to do is unzip your shirt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paging 642 owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!