I have decided I want a folder....

PDA

Mr. Chitlin
February 24, 2003, 09:14 PM
...but I know absolutely nothing about them. I want one with the pocket clip, and I want good quality. $100 to $150 is no problem. I know that there are Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, etc, but know absolutely nothing about any of them. I like the looks of the Cold Steel Recon-1, 4 inch folder, and I am sure that they have a great reputation. From you guys that have "been there, done that, and have the T shirt to prove it" what would be a top quality knife to get, so I don't waste money and realize I should have gotten something else. Now, I am not really interested in going over $150 or so, and wouldn't mind keeping it under $100. There is just so much to look at, straight blade, serrated etc. I have been into guns for 30 + years, but now think it is time to look at the knife market. What I have now is a Buck Lite, a Buck 110 Folding Hunter, and a Schrade regular type folding 3 blade pocket knife.

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "I have decided I want a folder...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
February 24, 2003, 09:39 PM
I have descriptions on eight good folders and what MAKES 'em good at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

Now, it's not too likely that your state allows concealed carry of 5" or 6" blades the way California does. But some of those are in the 4" class, and I remain convinced that the particular 4" Benchmade described there is the best 4" class (actually 3.95" for legal reasons) production fighting folder made today, based on grip ergonomics, lock design and blade steel (D2-M).

Read the descriptions of ALL the knives, for max learnin' :).

bad_dad_brad
February 24, 2003, 09:56 PM
For serious carry, the smaller Timberline Kelly Worden Tactical is one heck of a folder at a reasonable price. I picked one up at a local gun and knife show last year for $35. This is one very well thought out folder. I highly recommend it.

The attached picture shows a combo blade. Mine is a straight edge. Personally I prefer a sharp straight edged blade for serious work over a combo.

Great knife. Great value. And closed, you can also use it as a sap and/or pressure point persuader.

I am looking for the larger cousin.

gryphon
February 25, 2003, 05:11 PM
I have the Benchmade Stryker and love it. It's a combo blade, but looking back, I think that I would have been better off getting the full straight edge. Only because I do not do a lot of cutting through shrink wrap and such.
My Stryker is the Tanto tip stainless. Check it out at the Benchmade site. Price on mine here in Ohio was $89.

mrtgbnkr
February 25, 2003, 07:49 PM
Don't be afraid to look for a Microtech SOCOM...the older style (non-elite) in a manual only should be fairly easy to find in your price range...and it's one heck of a stout, quality folder.

Mark

Vorpal
February 25, 2003, 08:05 PM
Mr. C, the Microtech LCC is a very well made, stout ,and
scary sharp liner lock,great design. I have both the M/A
and the D/A, for the money you can't go wrong;)

Larry

Inspector Callahan
February 25, 2003, 09:03 PM
Get a Spyderco Native (http://www.spyderco.com/assets/product_images/medium/C41BK.jpg) in S30V steel. :)

hso
February 25, 2003, 10:48 PM
What do you want to use the knife for? If you'll describe your typical uses from day to day and week to week we can get into specifics about good pocket clip folders.

Tamara
February 26, 2003, 12:02 AM
Don't you know you're not supposed to ask logical questions? You're supposed to say "Buy a [insert favorite knife here]!". ;)

Mr. Chitlin,

Get a Glock! ;)

10-Ring
February 26, 2003, 12:31 AM
Get a Glock! :D

Tamara, you beat me! ;)

I picked up a Kershaw Blackout not too long ago and I've carried it everyday since!

hso
February 26, 2003, 09:52 AM
What you talkin' 'bout, Tamara? Don't you know Glock doesn't even make a pocket knife? And, the only "clip" you'll find associated with them doesn't go on the outside of a pocket.

Like Emelda Marcos I have so many favorites that picking one depends upon the event I'm attending. Formal, semiformal, outing, redneck bar fight, garden party, etc. You can never underestimate the value of proper accesorizing! If you're schedule is varried during the day follow the tried and true double up approach. Something dressy with a rugged backup (like black stilletos with steel toes in the shoulder bag) always covers all the bases.

Mr. Chitlin
February 26, 2003, 09:54 AM
hso,
I just want it for a general purpose knife that will hold a great edge. I don't expect to get in a knife fight, but would like a high quality folder with a pocket clip. I work in the electrical field, so I have a regular 3 bladed Uncle Henry for general use, stripping wire, cutting boxes open, etc. The good one won't be used this way.

Tamara,
I carry a G27 or G19 most of the time. But there are some things that it just cant do. Ever tried to gut a deer or squirrel with the G27?:p

I guess I might really need to study them a lot more. I am just ready to step up from a cheap knife to a good quality one.

hso
February 26, 2003, 10:23 AM
Chitlin,

Well, we can put the Rambozo Sentry Killing folders in the background and concentrate on "business casual" utility knives.

I carry a Sebenza as my eveyday carry knife. It's more expensive than you're looking for, but until recently there was nothing close to it in tough use elegance for the money. As much as it pains me to say so, there are knives that are nearly as good at half the price (Now I've done it! My sebe will probably develop a rash and be dull and listless over this perceived lack of loyalty.)

Do you want to go with the high tech unadorned handle type (Ti, G-10, C-fiber) or would you prefer some color or even natural materials like wood, bone, stag, pearl, coral, micarta (micarta's been around long enough to be considered a "natural material" by knife makers 'cause it's only "natural" to consider it for a handle:D )

Size does matter! (not what ya'll think :eek: ) If you have a smaller hand like mine then some of these bohunkin big folders that are out there don't fit. By the same token, my small sebe doesn't fit Ren's hand (it ain't his hand his subconcious is focused on:rolleyes: ) so he has the bigger Sebenza. Tell me which of the knives you listed feel right in your hand and pocket.

Blade shape is important also. From your knife selections it seems you're interested in clip or drop points. That give tons of options.

Blade materials are a lesser consideration (don't ya'll start with me. this is an old tired argument and 440C that is properly heat treated will do just fine for 99% of pocket knife use:rolleyes: ) but it does matter if you prefer tool to rust resistant steel. If you are used to maintaining a tool steel knife there are tool steel production folders out there. There are plenty of other steels out there.

Opening mechanism is another factor. Hole, disk, stud, assisted, switch, double action, nail nick. You've got to play with them to find out (switchs are a legal question so you need to find out if you want to find out).

Let me know if this is of interest or let me know where you are and I'll let you know where/when the nearest knife show is.

Mike

brownie0486
February 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
For 150.00 or less get a MOD [ the model you like] or a M/T Socom or maybe the LCC if you can find one.

The LCC is bullet proof and one rugged knife. Under extreme hard use I think it would last a lot longer than the MOD's or others with an aluminum handle.

That said, I carry a MOD Trident presently. It'll do everything I need it to do defensively and holds an edge as well as the M/T's.

I have trouble deciding which one to carry but the MOD trident won out for the last few months. I'll probably go back to the LCC again or perhaps my Spyderco Wegner model.

Look at the Wegner by Spyderco. About your price range and a rugged knife by anyones standards.

Brownie

OF
February 26, 2003, 11:49 AM
This is not a question easily answered. Your price range includes some great knives but of widely varying designs.

A rule of thumb is that Benchmade, Spyderco and Emerson are "can't lose" options in that price range. Stick with the axis lock or framelock Benchmades.

Just to throw out an off-the-cuff recommendation, I think the Spyderco Calypso Jr. Micarta plain-edge (SP-C52BM) is just about the best all-around pocket knife made, and it's well within your price range. The catch is that it's discontinued...but you can still find them if you look hard enough. It's not as big or as scary-looking as the Recon.

The Spyderco Military is another classic all-purpose knife. Other good all-purpose Spyderco knives: maybe a Chinook (SC-63GP)? Or how about a Terzuola Starmate (C55GPE)?

More nasty can be had from Emerson with a Commander or CQC-7 or even a Benchmade 750 Pinnacle framelock.

There are alot of cool knives in your price range. Go to www.bladeforums.com and poke around. You'll either get enlightened or confused depending on how much time you have to spend there. :) Also order free catalogs from Spyderco and Benchmade.

- Gabe

Tamara
February 26, 2003, 03:28 PM
So, bigger than a gent's folder, smaller than a flesh-eating tacticool knife, in the buck-to-buck-and-a-half price range...

Hmmm...

Benchmade makes some sweet tools in this area, from the 910 "Stryker" to the 690, with its swoopy blend of carbon-fiber, anodized titanium and pretty wood.

Mr. Chitlin
February 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
WHEW!! I see that I have a LOT to learn. I guess my question was about like "I have $XXX. What gun should I get"!! I really can not answer many of the questions hso and others brought up. I guess I will have to hang around the forums a little, and see what all of my shooting friends are carrying. I haven't handled enough of them to really know for sure what I want or need.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am more confused now than when I started!! At least I now have a base of info to get started on.

hso, I got your PM. I am just going to sit back for the time being and study a little more. Thanks.

makdaddy03
February 26, 2003, 10:12 PM
Anything by Coldsteel gets my vote.:)

Charles S
February 26, 2003, 10:17 PM
There is a wide range of styles in your price range. My favorite is the Spyderco Military. Here are some others Emerson Commander, CQC7, Benchmade Avalanche in CPM 440V and a Microtech LCC like Vorpal recomedned.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=91394

Hope this helps.

Charles

makdaddy03
February 27, 2003, 12:55 AM
Charles,Nice knives you have there.

Big Bad Wolf
February 27, 2003, 05:15 AM
(4 inch blades)
Benchmade 710 M2 steel Axis retails @ $115-$130
Benchmade SOFCK D2 steel axis retails @ $85-$100
Spyderco Police VG-10 steel retails @ $80-$95

(3.75 inch blades)
Emerson Commander 154cm steel retails @ $130-$170
Emerson Mach 1 154cm steel retails @ $90-$100
Spyderco Endura AUS6 steel retails @ $30 -$50

(3.5 inch blades)
Kershaw Blackout 440V steel retails @ $55-$65
Kershaw Boa 440V steel retails @ $85-$120
Kershaw Avalanche 440V steel retails @ $85-$100
Emerson CQC-7 154cm steel retails @ $85-$115
Benchmade 551 Griptilian 440C Axis retails @ $60-$70

All of these can be found on internet knife stores or on Ebay. Good Luck in your search! :)

Charles S
February 27, 2003, 06:36 PM
makdaddy03:

Thanks for the compliment. In addition to guns I really like knives.

Charles

redbone
February 27, 2003, 11:21 PM
Check out the knife link on the Arkansas page in www.packing.org. Anything over 3,5 inches carried concealed is prohibited.

RBH

bad_dad_brad
February 28, 2003, 10:24 PM
Folks, you must really give the Timberline Kelly Worden Tactical a try. It is just about the best knife vis-a-vis folder value that I have found. And like I reported before, closed, it can be used as a sap or skin and bone pressure persuader as well.

The design of this knife is impressive. It opens very smoothly, is liner locked, and can be easily handled open or closed one handed. Good stuff.

I have the smaller version, I want (NEED) the bigger one.

OF
March 2, 2003, 12:32 PM
Here's the knife that Brad is talking about (a new one to me):

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/images/timberline/tl-11293.jpg

:cool:

- Gabe

AnklePocket
March 2, 2003, 07:21 PM
Probably not a bad idea is to go to some of the better online retailers' sites who show most every knife out there. The two that come to mind are www.1sks.com and www.knifecenter.com . You can navigate around to see what's out there.
IMHO, a killer combo is the CRKT M16-03Z and a Camillus Talonite EDC although the new Buck Mayo TNT and Camillus Dominator are soon to come out and will probably be as good as it'll get for many years to come.

sm
March 2, 2003, 07:53 PM
I too needed a folder, this bunch really knows their blades. I'm currently carrying a Ken Onion 1660 (Leek).

I'm still learning and taking it all in...did learn to lean back from the laptop...keyboard not drool-proof.

Funny, forever a Case Trapper did me fine. 1911's my main choice in pistol...simple...arrgg to many choices, and these guys really know how to tempt.

Tamara's probably the worst culprit--what does she NOT have a pic of...;)

hso
March 2, 2003, 11:24 PM
Search Knifeforums and Bladeforums for more information about knives than you'll ever use. Bladeforums have numerous folks that write reviews of commercial and custom knives. So if you want to read a review on a knife of interest, and then the lively debate that results, you should take a look over there.

labgrade
March 4, 2003, 06:59 AM
Quick question (after not having read any of the posts).

Why a folder, when a fixed blade may likely do evrything you'd want?

A folder must be "un-folded" first, no? While a fixed blade is probably stronger in all aspects .....

I settled on a Gerber Guardian Back-up long ago for a "defensive knife." Grab it & you have a blade - no un-folding, nada.

Some folders are great, no doubt, but why go folder when there's already better (& quicker stuff) already out there?

Just a question.

brownie0486
March 4, 2003, 09:19 AM
Folders are convenient to carry, straight blades can be problematic dependant on your circumstances.

With practice you can access a folder as quickly as any straight blade. I know this from experience and often show the students this "Brownie Pop" I had developed 10 years ago. Some can perform the opening of the folder right away while others need some ramp up time to become proficient at presenting the blade.

Granted folders are not as sturdy for lateral pressures as a rule, though some folders are stronger than some fixed blades as well.
It comes down to choices. I can carry a folder almost everywhere and if the clip is spotted on the pocket nobody takes issues with it. Try walking around with a fixed blade in most cities and watch how fast the LE's take notice or someone is making them aware of your status in fixed blade guise.

Some states restrict fixed knives to ridiculously small blade lengths [ usually down south due to the culture born there in the 1830's ].

The folders are always with me. MY fixed blades come out only when I am dressed properly and have concealing garments which keep the sheeple at piece with me.

Brownie

labgrade
March 4, 2003, 01:59 PM
Won't argue, far as, brownie0486, but it's just my nature, ;)

"With practice you can access a folder as quickly as any straight blade."

If you have to do any extra motion, it's not as fast, or as reliable. No "flicking" is as reliable or quicker than just grabbing the "end of a stick" & hauling it out.

Any fixed blade can be carried, IWB, etc. just as "stealthy" as any folder.

Far as blade length - that goes with being seen in the first place. I figure if I can easily enough conceal a BHP, I can also do so with any blade.

Too, Colorado law exempts any blade length if "for sporting purposes." Do mention that to them if made.

Again, no arguement. Mostly I always carry a coupla pocket folders - wouldn't be w/o 'em.

brownie0486
March 4, 2003, 02:41 PM
labgrade:
Agree that some straight knives can be accessed as easily and as well some easier with the right carry system accessory. Most straight blades do not come with a sheath/carry system thatr allows faster access.

My only point was I hate to wear over garments just to conceal a blade. Course if you are already doing so to carry the BHP then no issue there as well.

I have some pretty nice stuff in straight configurations and most are not accessable with the the speed of the clipped blades [ for me anyway]. I realize most have no familiarization with the "Brownie Pop" so they probably will be slower as a rule drawing a folder.

My technique doesn't involve flipping the knife at all. Just lift it from the pocket and it's open on the draw stroke. Flipping the knife with the wrist to create centrifigal force attempting to open the blade can be dangerous as the act of doing so can be blocked/trapped if the opponent is sharp.

I do like the fixed blades and put them on when I think I may actually need something like that. Usually goes hand in hand with the glock 30 or Colt Sistema.

Brownie

Tim Schlosser
March 4, 2003, 05:54 PM
There's roughly 4 million different "flavor of the week" Tacticals out there that can run up in to the thousands of dollars apiece. A Benchmade Stryker is an excellent choice or an AFCK, or a Spyderco Military..... It all comes down to personal choice as long as you're buying reputable stock. If you really "need" to worry over every last little possible situation, then nothing is perfect. Just pick something quality made that fits your hand and you'll be golden. :)

brownie0486
March 5, 2003, 08:18 AM
Tim Schlosser:

Good luck with your website.

Brownie

If you enjoyed reading about "I have decided I want a folder...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!