Canadian Mounted Police GP-100?

PDA

stevekl
October 16, 2004, 10:17 PM
I saw something quite odd at the C&E gun show here in Richmond, VA. One booth was selling imported GP-100's apparently used by Canadian Mounted Police? I didn't examine them closely enough, but they were $299, had bobbed hammers, and looked kinda dirty.

Did I read this right? What's the deal with these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Canadian Mounted Police GP-100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesBear
October 16, 2004, 10:23 PM
They are RCMP trade-ins.

Over the years there have been lots of ex-RCMP revolvers sold.
Colts, S&Ws and Rugers.
It seems that the Canadians recently prefer the lowest bidder system of procurement.

jdmb03
October 16, 2004, 10:27 PM
Gander Mountain also has several of these for sale.

RON in PA
October 16, 2004, 11:19 PM
I have 3- 3 inch barreled revolvers marked with the Century Arms International import logo, a Smith 65, a SS GP100 and a blued GP100. The blued Ruger has a rack number stamped in the top of the grip and was an ex-RCMP gun, at least that was what the dealer claimed. All show holster wear, but appear to be shot little. All are nicely broken-in action wise. Mine are with intact hammers, but I have seen bobbed DA only guns. Most appear dirty, but clean up nicely and represent a good value if priced low enough. I paid considerably less for my Rugers.

WVleo
October 17, 2004, 06:25 AM
Hi, Guy I work with bought 1 at a local pawn shop for $225 , it is the DA only model ( bobbed hammer) . C A I billboard . Looked decent. He just picked up a box of WWB 38's and some Rem .357's to run threw it . I'll hear how it went tommorrow..............WVleo

Lone Star
October 17, 2004, 10:03 AM
Can anyone confirm that these were actually RCMP-used? I thought they went right from the S&W M10 to their DA-only 9mm. (M5946?)

I've heard that the Rugers were used by Canadian Military Police, not the Mounties.

Lone Star

Checkman
October 17, 2004, 01:20 PM
I heard that the RCMP went from the S&W M10 to the Sig P228. So what is it? Any Canadians out there? :confused:

Marshall
October 17, 2004, 01:38 PM
A Canadian owning a gun, much less shooting it? C'mon! :evil:

PJR
October 17, 2004, 04:49 PM
A Canadian owning a gun, much less shooting it? With all respect you look pretty stupid making a statement like that without knowing the facts. Millions of us own guns, all kinds of them. Canadian gun laws nationwide are similar to those in NYC. Not great I'll admit but it's easier for a resident of Toronto to own a handgun than it is for a resident of Chicago.

And we get to own SIG PE90s, 14" pump guns and all those lovely Garands your country won't let back in.:D

Lone Star
October 17, 2004, 06:26 PM
I have a booklet on RCMP guns, printed in the 1980's, I believe. Have also read a couple of articles on them, and examined a few, mainly Colt New Services.

Usually, they have an "MP" stamp, with the letters touching. I think it may be under the grips. Older ones may have, for instance, "RNWMP", for Royal Northwest Mounted Police". That was on the backstrap.

Don't know if they've used SIG's, except that once the SWAT anti-terrorist teams had P-226's. Ayoob said they had some cracking of slide rails after very extensive firing. SIG beefed up the rails as a result.

Canadian Forces took over that role, and the Mounties handed in the SIGs. The current issue, I think, is DA-only S&W 9mm autos, the standard size for uniform wear, and the smaller one for plainclothes use.

Could a Canadian member ask a Mountie, or call the Depot in Regina, and ask what's current?

Lone Star

Marshall
October 17, 2004, 10:00 PM
With all respect you look pretty stupid making a statement like that without knowing the facts.

Well pardon me Mr. sensitive. First of all I was only kidding. Secondly, I do know the facts and third, you look pretty silly getting bent out of shape over a obvious joking post. Maybe you just get kidded a lot about being a bunch of liberals in Canada, I dunno? :rolleyes:

JohnKSa
October 17, 2004, 10:05 PM
They are 4" half-shroud barrel, stainless steel finish, fixed sights, bobbed-hammer double-action only GP100s. Most have the small grips but I've seen at least one with the standard size GP100 grip. Often these guns are sold with a black LEO style holster that is usually in much worse shape than the guns. Somewhere in the mid $200s is the typical price--through an unusual chain of events I got one for $200 out the door.

Mine was in very good mechanical condition per Jim's checkout post but looked as if it had never been cleaned. External appearance was pretty rough initially, but some light polishing made it look new.

I've heard that they were trade-ins from a Canadian LEO group, also that they were Postal Inspector issue guns. Don't know which is right--maybe neither.

SDC
March 5, 2005, 08:42 PM
"I heard that the RCMP went from the S&W M10 to the Sig P228. So what is it? Any Canadians out there? "

As a Canadian (and a current member of the Force), I've never seen a member carry anything other than a S&W Model 10, a S&W 5946, a S&W 3913, or a Sig-Sauer P226 (excepting a PPK for an "undercover"/backup). All of these guns have been marked "RCMP-GRC". OTOH, I HAVE seen a number of Rugers carried by members of the Quebec Provincial Police, the Surete de Quebec; maybe these were traded in at the time most of them went to semi-autos?

BlkHawk73
March 6, 2005, 08:34 AM
Look here:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns2.html

Lone Star
March 6, 2005, 09:46 AM
The ones I've seen represented as ex-RCMP guns were the short-shroud THREE-inch barrel, and some had "normal" hammers; some didn't.

The Mountie's comment about the Surete de Quebec makes sense, as does the sorry condition of the guns and holsters. I am quite probably being entirely ethnocentric about this (I'm of Anglo descent) , but I suspect that, for cultural reasons, the Quebecois often respect guns and other mechanical items less than English-speaking Canadians, and didn't take care of them. Having said, this, I fear that someone will come along and prove that the guns were really from small town police forces in Newfoundland or Manitoba! :D Also, French police have often carried S&W and Manhurin MR-73 and MR-88 .357's with three-inch barrels. This preference in what many Quebecois still regard as their ancestral land may have carried over to French-speaking Canada. I should be able to tell you, but I need new batteries for my crystal ball... :D Probably takes a gypsy to get those to work their best, anyway.

Seriously, I bet these guns come from a number of sources, in and out of Canada. The Mountie story was probably concocted as a sales tool. I would prefer the truth.

Finally, our RCMP member (SDC) noted that their recent guns are marked RCMP/GRC, like their shoulder patches, cars, etc. The GRC is" Gendarmderie Royale du Canada". Thought that enquiring minds might like to know...

Lone Star

If you enjoyed reading about "Canadian Mounted Police GP-100?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!