Best and worst gun deals you've ever made

PDA

liljohn
October 17, 2004, 02:53 AM
What's the best gun deal you've ever made? What's the worst? Ever pass up a great deal only to dwell on it later?

I think my best was a Ruger single six in 32 H&R mag for $125. The thing was BRAND NEW, without the box, from a private seller at a gun show.

Another good one was a Browning BDA .380 in satin nickel for $80. I didn't really want it and I didn't have much money, but a friend of mine had less and needed to sell it badly. I realized later that he was the one that did me a favor.

Last good deal--an FA .454 Casull field grade, with an SSK 3-ring mount, rosewood grips, magnaported, and two boxes of FA ammo for $700. It only had 20 rounds through it.

My worst was probably a 6.5x55. I got it when they first started coming into the country and had no idea what they were worth. It is in great shape, but the price was $240.

Worst misses--a new in the box full-auto Thompson .45 with a drum mag for $750. I didn't want to spend the $200 for a federal stamp. Another was a State Arms .50 BMG for $800. I snoozed, and "lozed".

If you enjoyed reading about "Best and worst gun deals you've ever made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lwsimon
October 17, 2004, 05:25 AM
best deals..... I have a couple

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag - got it for helping a guy out with a PC problem, right before the auditors came :)

Remington .270 - paid $225 at a pawn shop, was in horirble shape. Several hundred patches and a bottle of break free later, I resold it for $375....

Worst deals?

Remington 244 Viper. I think that was the model. Worst .22 EVER. Only made a 10 round mag, hard to insert, and shot a 6" group at 100 yards form a bench rest. Bought it b/c i needed SOMETHING for home defense, and it was the cheapest gun in the shop.

telcom911
October 17, 2004, 06:20 AM
Kimber ProCarry (Series I) for two NIB Glocks, a 22 and a 27. That was both the best and worst trade I ever made. While I ended up with two brand spanking new guns, I lost what was possible the pistol I have liked more then any other I have ever owned. Boy, I miss that Kimber. I did replace it wiht another ProCarry, but its just not the same.

Okiecruffler
October 17, 2004, 09:24 AM
Best deal was last weekend at the gunshow. A .308 Savage Striker with Bushnell 2-6X scope for $260. Although my 30-30AI Contender barrel at a garage sale for $75 is a close second.

Worst deal was trading my Phoenix HP22, (which was accurate, reliable, and alot of fun) for a Charter Arms Explorer pistol (which was inaccurate, unreliable and an all around PITA).

ARperson
October 17, 2004, 10:43 PM
Best "surprise" deal was today's purchase. Found an Omega all-camo version (even the barrel) for $459. I know, that's not the deal. The deal was on the receipt which I looked at when I got home. The muzzle stuffer rang up for $399 and the 3-9 scope I bought with it rang up for $69 instead of the marked $89. It's was like getting the ammo for free!

borderguy
October 17, 2004, 10:48 PM
Best recent: $75.00 for a pre-ban Eagle Arms AR-15 reciever.

Best Overall. $295.00 for my Colt Sp-1.

Worst: $400.00 for a Century/Imbel L1A1 FAL.

Best Freebie: EG Makarov from my Brother-in-Law

Third_Rail
October 17, 2004, 11:29 PM
Best: Getting an extensive collection of US military firearms "given" to me (to be put in my hands for good upon exit of the state of MA), including a 1917, 1903a3, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, etc., free.

Worst: Letting someone pass up a Singer 1911 for $250... after I learned what a mistake we had made, I wanted to learn more about firearms, which is why I came here.

AZLibertarian
October 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
...Ever pass up a great deal only to dwell on it later?... I'm not exactly dwelling on it, but--yes. Just last month at the IDPA match at the range, someone had an ad on the board which went something like this...

Dillon 550b press. 6 sets of dies. Odds-n-ends in brass. Lots of extras.

$285 I looked at that, and thought: "Man. Either that guy doesn't have any idea what he's got, or somebody's ex-wife is out to shaft him. I ought to snatch that thing up." But with two kids in college, and a tight budget, it would have begun a fight with Mrs. AZLib that I don't need to start.

So I passed.

That ad stayed up on that board about 6 minutes past when I looked at it. Somebody else grabbed it.

Would-a, Should-a, Could-a. Story of my life.

October 17, 2004, 11:45 PM
Best gun deal:
Marlin .444 with a couple boxes of factory ammo.
High Point Carbine with laser and most of a case of PMC ammo.
Ruger Model 77 in .22-250 with dies, bullets, cases, and cheap scope.
For $275

Worst: The list is long.
But the worst would have to be paying Machine Gun Kelly in Las Vegas $1800 almost two years ago for a suppressed Ruger 10/22 and suppressed Ruger Mk. II and I haven't recieved either gun.
Another similar story: I sent a Colt Mustang, and a Bulgarian Makarov along with my own parts and cash to BEAST Enterprises in the Phoenix area probably 4-5 years ago and have never gotten either gun or money back.
Probably the worst deal I ever willingly went along with was trading a Colt ACE for a Ruger MK.II staight up.

Another good deal was a Dillion 550 press with a lot of accssories and reloading gear from a guy on this board that was in serious financial trouble and was trying to put the money together to buy his family Christmas presents. The price was so low that I sent him an extra $50 because I couldn't do him like that.
Another notable deal was some off brand rifle in .25-06 for $250. Oh, it had a Leupold Vari-X III scope on it. I took off the scope and sold the rifle for $250. I then had the scope rebuilt by Leupold. It was a good financial deal, but I have never done anything with the scope to this day.

jeff-10
October 18, 2004, 12:03 AM
Best:
$350 for a NIB Browning HP in 40 S&W a few years back. Jumbo sports here in FL was closing and they had some nice sales.

Honorable Mention:
$325 for a 1076 out the door. It doesn't sound that great but you have to realize thats after tax andbBackground check, etc.

Worst:
$150 for a YUGO M48A at a gun show. The gun has serious headspacing problems and only sets off the primer when it feels like it. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the thing.

entropy
October 18, 2004, 12:16 AM
Best: I've recieved several freebies over the years, they certainly count among them, even if the guns weren't that great. A S&W Mod 34? .38S&W (Small & Weak) from a widow who just wanted it out of the shop after her husband died. An Ithaca 37 a guy just wanted to get out of the house because his grandkids were old enough to snoop. A Remington 58 for next to nothing, picked that up for a friend who wanted a back-up turkey gun. A Savage 311 picked up for $25 bucks, it took all of 20 minutes work to get the dent out of the barrel & spot cold blue it; got a lot of free pizzas from a friend who wanted a cheap shotgun. A Ruger 77 in .300 WinMag with a McMillan stock and a Leupold 2-7 for $290. The obscenely huge profit I made on an AR-15 during the frenzy ten years ago. and the 5 guns I inherited when my grandpa died.

Worst: Even though it was only $70, the POS Iver Johnson Cadet that spits worse that BinLaden's camel. Selling my AR in the first place. Selling my 2 1/2" Colt Python. Selling my Ruger Redhawk so my toilet would flush again.:cuss: Almost losing my Dad's pre-64 Win. 94 to a pawn shop. Not being able to buy my Dad's Waffenampt P35 when he sold it. (Best 9mm I've ever shot. :) ) Getting hooked on Mosin Nagants!:p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/BewareMosincollecting.png
:evil:

fistful
October 18, 2004, 12:46 AM
I've already related this on other threads, but it was the best trade I've ever made. Not because I saved or made a lot of money, but because I was a lot happier afterwards.

My first gun was a new Steyr Prohunter ($800) with a Redfield 3-9X ($150). I decided I'd rather have a Mauser and also wanted an 870 riot gun. I traded the Steyr, scope, and about 300 rounds of milsurp 7.62 x 51 to a friend of mine for a 1930 vintage VZ 24 in .30-06 with butler creek stock, sporter barrel, and Simmons scope; and a wood-stocked 870 Express with riot and long barrel. The Mauser has a beautiful, single-stage trigger, though, I must say.

The free SKS I just got was a pretty good "trade" though.:)

JuniorG
October 18, 2004, 05:48 AM
A brand new Contender Carbine with a beautiful piece of wood and very accurate 223 bbl for $125.00

A real, Win. Model 70 Featherwieght in 257 roberts, again with a nice piece of wood and a Nikon Monarch 4.5x14 scope. Traded a Leupold 6.5x20 scope and a couple bills for it.

A new 14" Contender bbl in 35 rem for $50

I'll post my worst deal as soon as I get one :D

Only regret so far.....Years ago I bought a Norinco J15 22 bolt action for $89
That thing will shoot cheap ammo in to amazingly small tiny groups.

I regret today that I didn't buy 2 of them!!

Kodiak AK
October 18, 2004, 06:06 AM
The one I regret the most would be passing on a real russian SVD for $500 back in 95 . I said let me think about it and called the guy the next day and it was gone .:(

My best deal would be a free Marlin Model 60.

uglymofo
October 18, 2004, 09:58 AM
These are my 3 best deals so far:

I found a Wilson Combat SuperGrade for $1800; the lady selling it didn't know how an auction was supposed to work, and neither did I (at the time--it was my first), and in a private mail, I said, "I'll do it for $1800 shipped" and she did.

Some poor guy was hurting I guess, and listed his NIB Ed Brown Kobra Carry for $1200 "BUY IT NOW" and I did. I couldn't believe it.

Found a Leica Televid 77 w/ 20-60mm offset lens for $770, and a Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS for $750.

Was given a 1911 Remington Rand that started my entire collection; maybe that's the day and 'favor' that killed my bank account for the rest of my life. :( :)

But my deals weren't always so rosey....If there's a lesson for any newbies reading this, it's read, read, read, study long, then look hard (for the unscrupulous are out there too):

In 1970 I bought a sporterized Mauser 30-06 with Bushnell scope for $120. :eek: :eek: :o With factory ammo, no one could keep it under 6" at 100yd. Dealer said it was a collector's piece because there weren't many '06 Mausers:rolleyes:

My second skinning came at a different dealer's hands--I bought a Walther P38 in 1970. A fine German war specimen, if ya believe him; it was pretty--I paid $140 as I recall; fell on hard times, and 2 months later took it back to him to sell. For a war specimen, it sure lost value in a hurry--he gave me $55 for it. Hell, it covered the rent.

jefnvk
October 18, 2004, 12:31 PM
Worst misses--a new in the box full-auto Thompson .45 with a drum mag for $750.

Ouch. I wish that sometime in my life, it will be legal to buy a new manufactured MG.

Best acquisition was a 10/22, Long Branch No.4 Mk.1 Enfield and T38 Arisaka for a NIB Rem 870. I was going to sell the 870 to buy a 10/22 anyway, so it was like getting two free guns.

Luckily, the only thing I regret not buying is a $40 M44. But, theyre still sll over for $60-70, so I'm not worried.

Cosmoline
October 18, 2004, 01:18 PM
$100 for a Finnish M-28 at a pawn shop was pretty nifty. It was worth three times that amount and was marked as a "Russian Rifle" by the owner.

$250 for a mint Iranian Mauser carbine with NO import markings was also very, very nice.

Sead0nkey
October 18, 2004, 03:19 PM
Bad deal - first gun a beretta 96 vertec $700 in MD:what:

Great deal......still waiting

Brian Williams
October 18, 2004, 05:01 PM
95%+ 1950 S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty matching grips, small turn ring, light muzzle wear...... $295 otd

NIB Marlin 1894c $265 + nics and tax

S&W 35-1 like new $250 i think....

Like new Ruger MKII comp mod with Leupold m8 2x scope for $300

Edward429451
October 18, 2004, 06:10 PM
Worst: Streetsweeper 12 ga for $399. It may sound good but it was a POS.

Best:
Rem 700BDL 30/06 NIB w/sling, 2 boxes ammo...$250.

Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag, 7.5" used w/cowboy belt & holster...$160. (friend owns pawnshop.)

SKS in folding stock, used but great condition...Tip on a job!! (It pays to do your job well.)

Bushmaster XM15 20"--A late payment for an A/C install that I did for my sons friend's dad. He didn't have the $$ for the install, I did it anyway, he bought the equipment and was supposed to get back to me with payment or a trade in compensation. Few years later, I had written it off in my mind, here he comes...He didn't forget! I consider it free since I had written it off in my mind as just doing a favor for my sons friends, and to make my son look good. (It pays to be flexible.)

C/O
October 18, 2004, 06:31 PM
Worst: Beretta 84FS for a Keltec P-11. I thought I would get something smaller; which I did; But quality sucked.

Best: Free Glock 23. ( It was a gift )

Monkeyleg
October 18, 2004, 06:48 PM
"Worst misses--a new in the box full-auto Thompson .45 with a drum mag for $750."

Yeah, that would hurt. I sold my like-new full-auto Thompson in 1996 for what I'd paid for it in 1989: $1800, plus $300 for an original Bridgeport drum. I could buy a good used car for what FA Thompsons are going for now.

Another bad deal: bought a Spas-12 folder NIB for $450. Never shot it much (Spas 12 folder owners understand why). Sold it two years later at a gun show to a dealer who literally ran up to me. He sold it immediately to a customer at his table for $900.

A good deal: In exchange for doing a website for a friend's gun shop, I got a new Kimber Eclipse Target. I'm expecting another gun sometime this year or early next year.

Another good deal: got a NIB Leupold 6.5x20x50mm scope with target turrets and sunshade for $425. Retail is around $800.

A snooze an' you lose story: a friend came back from a rummage sale to tell me they had a belt-fed, Czech heavy machine gun for just a couple of hundred, fully operational. I didn't bother to go, but the BATF did.

WhoKnowsWho
October 18, 2004, 07:00 PM
Worst deal. Charles Daly 1911 standard blued one, $500 OTD.

Best deal. Springfield Mil-Spec, the one with the lowered ejection port and nicer higher sights, $250 even.

50 Freak
October 18, 2004, 08:11 PM
Best:

S&W 686 357 mag Stainless = $225
Glock 27, 4 mags less than 100 rounds fired = $325
Glock 20, 3 factory highcaps (this was 3 years ago) + lasermax (worth $300 in itself) + nightsights = $450
NIW Unissued Enfield = $189
Norinco SKS paratrooper = $89

No bad ones. As I'm pretty careful with what I buy.

:D

ilcylic
October 19, 2004, 12:33 AM
Best: $200 S&W 696 .44 Spl from my roommate in lieu of rent.

Worst: $1200 Romanian Romak-3 tagged as a "Dragunov" before I had any idea what a real Dragunov was. I don't go to that shop anymore. :(

-Ogre

WhoKnowsWho
October 19, 2004, 05:09 AM
...Ever pass up a great deal only to dwell on it later?...

Dillon Square Deal B in 380 Auto NIB for $150
FAL, eventhough it was a Century on a Imbel receiver, $350
Colt Commander with Kart barrel and bushing, $400

Rembrandt
October 19, 2004, 05:51 AM
Worst deal....sold an all "Belgium" BHP for $400, wish I had it back.

Best deal......$950 for this Classic Gold Cup, one of only 300 made. Have seen them sell for around twice that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/GC3.jpg

Red Tornado
October 19, 2004, 12:35 PM
U.S. Rifle Caliber .30, M1 Garand. Danish with a 1963? VAR barrel and a 50 Cal can of 30-06 ball for $400.

Good friend moving his Dad's collection, I got in first and he gave me 'Best Friend' price. :-)

No bad ones yet, but I'm new, give me time. ;)
RT

Lonestar.45
October 19, 2004, 03:16 PM
Best deal: $100 for a 30/30 Sears Model 100 Ted Williams lever action. The outside is slightly rough, and to this day, it's probably not worth more than the $100 I paid for it used, but wheeewww can it shoot. Open sights at 100 yds from a bench, I can outshoot my buddy and my dad with their 7mm Rem Mag BDL's and 3x9's all day long. Seriously. For some reason, this little gun just likes to shoot. More often than not, during deer season, I leave my .270 BDL at home and take the 30/30.

Worst deal: Selling my Beretta 92FS and 4 hi cap mags just before the '94 ban went into effect for $500, when I paid over $600 for it. Stupidly wanted to buy a motorcycle and needed cash. Had I waited a few months, I could have gotten $50 per mag during the ban hysteria (like the buyer of my gun did I'm sure). Lesson learned: NEVER SELL YOUR GUNS.

Ky Larry
October 19, 2004, 04:21 PM
Worst deal: I bought a Tec-9 for some reason. It was a total POS Jam-o-matic hunk of junk.

Best deal: Traded the Tec-9 for a Contender NIB .223 with a 14 inch bull barrel. Most accurate hand gun I have ever shot or seen.

Best freebie: A Colt .38 Police Positive made in 1938. 98% original finish and very tight. Also a Model 37 Ithica 12 gauge made in 1941. Not much blue left but it is sound and shoot great. Got them both from a lady I work with. Her husband left her after 30 years of marrige for a 25 y.o. She got mad and got even by giving his stuff away. Also got several nice pocket knives asnd a cabinet full of booze.:p

Monkeyleg
October 19, 2004, 06:12 PM
Rembrandt, I think we need a "green with envy" smiley on THR now. ;)

Ian
October 19, 2004, 07:05 PM
My worst was paying $800 for a preban Bushmaster M17 bullpup, flash suppressor and all. It sounded like a deal, considering the pre/post price differences on other guns at the time. I got it from a friend, who got it at a show and decided he didn't want it. Turns out he got scammed by the dealer - when I started reading about the M17 development I got suspicious, called Bushmaster, and discovered that it wasn't a preban gun. Whoops. Fortunately, I was able to replace the flash suppressor with a couple barrel nuts and get rid of it woithout too much loss.

My best was a family deal - $700 for a NIB preban (really, this time) Daewoo K2. Now THAT is a sweet rifle.

Best deal in my family was gotten by my dad. He found a legal dewat (ie, plugged barrel but intact inside and legal to make functional) Type 99 Japanese LMG for a whopping $400. Now if only I could get him to reactivate it and buy a magazine or two...

Bigdog
October 19, 2004, 07:43 PM
My best deals:

A Mosin M91/30 in trade for refinishing a buddy's other M91/30. I have left mine as is - it shows character. ;)

A Mossberg M146B .22 rifle for $40 - it was a rusted ruin. Cleaned up nnice though, and today looks and shoots like new.

A Tanfoglio single-action .22WMR "cowboy revolver" in cheesy chrome with yellowed plastic grips. Looks like a fifties cap pistol! Great fun at the range - it's outshot several Ruger Single-sixes, POing their owners. :D
Good buy for $25! (It's the Grand daddy of today's Heritage Arms Roughrider.)

Worst deal - a J. C. Higgins 20-gauge bolt-acton shotgun, with too-light-to-be-safe trigger. Ah well, it's actually a pretty safe-queen. :rolleyes:

Good deal - a pre-ban M17S Bushpup for $800. I actually love mine! :p
Really good deal - a superb-shooting Winchester M75T target rifle for $300.
Far and away my most accurate .22 rifle - 1/2 MOA capable at 100 yards.

Namvet
October 20, 2004, 05:43 AM
I bought a like new S&W Model 57, nickle 4" .41 Mag a couple of years ago for $255.00. On consignment at a local shop. Also bought a like new Inglis No.2 Mk. ! for $299.00. This was about a month ago at a local shop as well.
They had it marked as an FN Hi Power! Worst was when I traded an SKB trap gun for a Huglu 20 Ga. O/U. Biggest POS i've ever owned.
DRC

Jeff Timm
October 20, 2004, 07:33 AM
Best Deal? 1973 A like new Ruger 10/22 with Weaver Variable Scope for $50 less than a new Ruger was selling for at the time.

Worst? I bought a late import Star .380. It's not heavy enough to use for an anchor.

Geoff Timm
Who needs to work on his battery.

Cosmoline
October 20, 2004, 01:36 PM
My worst deal was actually strung out over several months. I sold and bought the same beat up Colt double action about four times, losing $100 or so with each deal. I kept selling it for ready cash, then bought it again when it called to me like a lost puppy :D

kfranz
October 20, 2004, 02:04 PM
Not actually a gun until I completed it, but I traded 5 used, finish worn 30 rd. AR mags for a FAL kit that has since been turned into a functional rifle.....:)

Navy joe
October 20, 2004, 02:13 PM
Best and worst on the same gun! Worst was I bought a pre-ban Colt AR for 1800 the month before the ban went into effect. At that time we didn't know how bad it would be. 8 years and 8K rounds later I sold the upper complete for $250, the coll. stock and a few mags for $200 and the lower for $500 cash + a Bushmaster A2 config postban rifle complete! It was a fair deal to the buyer since he wanted a pre-ban gun and I think lives in a state with the ban still in. It was killer for me since my Colt was a 20" A2 and I didn't use the short stock. Now I had an identical rifle with fewer rounds through it and enough cash to buy a pistol. Now that the ban is gone and my Colt would have been worth as much in this state as my Bushy, so I figure Bill Clinton bought me a Glock 34. Thanks Bill, have another cheeseburger.

Jack B
October 20, 2004, 06:55 PM
Best for me was a few months ago when I bought a 99% condition S&W 2.5" M66-2 .357 magnum for only $175 from my favorite pawn shop. That made six S&Ws that I've bought from those guys, all well under book values, but none as low as this one. I'd like to think that I'm a special customer, but most of the truth of it is that all those buys had laid in their inventory for awhile. Is that a sign of the current economic times? Used to be how many used Rolexes are for sale.

Worst was selling my M1927 Hartford Colt (in near perfect condition) for only $450 four years ago. I didn't know it at the time, but it was worth at least twice that, and it was number 2653 out of the 10,000 Colt made for the Argentines seventy some years previously. If I'd kept this pistol, it would now be one of my center-pieces in a very fine 10 Colt 1911A1 collection, all different models, all 99%-100% condition. It was that good! And no, none of the ten Colts came from the pawn shop.

Best regards, Jack B.

mephisto
October 22, 2004, 01:02 AM
best= 2 enfeild no4 mk2 for 300 + baoynets +150 rounds of hunting rounds + 2 nice cases.

Worst= steyr GB. i past on one in 1990 for 150 bucks. doh.

Valkman
October 22, 2004, 02:15 AM
Best: I've paid $299 for a NIB Norinco 1911, $399 for a NIB SA Mil-Spec and $499 for a NIB Colt NRM. Got a LNIB Ruger SRH .454, ported, for $525 shipped from Alaska, and bought a Rusky Mak at a gun show for $100. Also got a police trade-in S&W M66 for $239.

Worst: 2 days before the CA AWB went into effect I bought a Pro Ordnance Carbon-15 pistol for..uh...this hurts....$1399. I can't even get $800 for it now. :mad:

Now I've got over $6k sunk into a Uzi and supressor I haven't shot and don't have yet, but hopefully it won't take over as worst deal. :)

TheDutchman
October 22, 2004, 01:33 PM
I purchase a S&W Model 13-3 3'' $175 very good condition , Colt Commander 1991A1 $360 with night sights ,full length guide rod and new metal trigger.

mainmech48
October 22, 2004, 02:54 PM
Worst: The NIB Llama .22 that I bought for a tackle box gun. Paid $95 for it sight-unseen through a buddy with a 'hobby' FFL (remember those?). Doubled a couple of times on the first mag and then blew a hole in the dirt 3" in front of my left boot's toe when I dropped the slide on the next one.

After an extended stay at Interarms, it came back with the lockwork STILL looking like it'd been fitted by a monkey with a wood rasp. Sometimes it'd fire at a harsh look, and sometimes you couldn't pull the trigger hard enough to get it to fire. I gave up, as I didn't figure that another six months at Interarms would do anything but finish off the warranty period.

Ended up selling it for a substantial loss to an acquaintance who thought that he could fix it.

Best: NIB S&W Performance Center No. 3 Schofield with presentation case, etc. for $5. The only raffle that I've ever won anything in. Still unfired; my only remaining 'safe queen'. Saving it for the day that I run across something I really want, but can't afford.

tex_n_cal
October 23, 2004, 10:45 AM
Good deals:

a Colt New Frontier SAA in .45 Colt for $301. This was when the list was about $571. I sold it and made about $200 off it. Had I held it I could have tripled my money, by now.

Finding a customized LW Commander for $650, that jammed. All it took was a adjustment to the extractor and it ran like a top. :)

Finding a .270 Remington 700 Mountain Rifle for $350, with spectacular wood, very unusual for a Remington. It would string shots horizontally, and I discovered a metal chip stuck on the back of one of the Bolt locking lugs. Fixing that it started shooting better, but still acted up occasionally.

Bad deal - I sold it, thinking the action was sprung, then realized it was actually my wiggly Hoppes Benchrest causing the problem, so I sold it for no good reason. Whoever has it in California is one lucky SOB :cuss:

Bad Deals:

Passing on buying an HK 91 for $450, back in the '80's. Not taking up a guy on trading a Uberti Rolling Block .45-70 for an UZI. (I had $200 in the Uberti). Later selling the Uberti for $250 - had I held it longer it could have brought $750 or so for Blackpower Silhouette.

Buying used Lyman dies - three sets, all had problems.

Buying used Contender barrels(two). Neither was accurate.

Buying a Kimber Stainless Gold Match, for list price, and finding it jammed and needed a trigger job.

And last, but not least, buying a SMLE #4Mk1 with a mint bore, and finding out the hard way that the bolt was broken and it had excess headspace:cuss:

CZ52GUY
October 23, 2004, 10:58 AM
Best:
Circa spring 2004, I traded in 10 Glock NDF 15-rd mag's toward a mint Sig P220ST. My cost out the door, $175. :D

Worst:
Circa 1994, I sold a mint Ruger Mini-14 with factory folding metal stock and 3 20-rd factory mag's for $275. :banghead:

Safe shooting (and smart dealing),

CZ52'

45nut
October 23, 2004, 05:55 PM
I have been fortunate a few times but a couple really stand apart and above.
My Ruger SuperRedhawk 454 Casull number 2 for $350.00
Bought number one when they first came out for $600.00 and was pleased.
Buddy had a go around with a Raging POS that went back and forth to Fla for service and finally broke down and bought a Ruger,problem was now he had a gun that would actually fire more than one or two rounds and he now was looking for something more tame.:rolleyes:

Winchester Model 94 in 25-35WCF for $250.00 Another friend was just looking to unload a few good guns before his scumbag son stole them and pawned them for drug money.

Colt 1911 in 38Super. $400.00 with several mags and a ammo can full of fodder at a yard sale,old timer that was looking to save his wife some grief when the time came...

Ruger Blackhawks,,3 screw 41 Mag and 357 Mag for $200.00 Each..in the boxes with ammo,holsters and original receipts.
:neener: LOL
Worst buy.
Davis 38Spl Derringer. About a 90# trigger and abysmal finish work.
Davis 32acp pos from the start,was a gun to carry but not to shoot.
Taurus 669 357Mag. was advertised as their "best available".POS spat lead and was horrid from about 20' and beyond.
..a few others too but these were the worst.

Rockrivr1
October 23, 2004, 08:19 PM
Best Deal: I picked up an almost new in box S&W 686 Plus for a little over $200 from a gun store that was going out of business. It had a sale price of $285 on the last day of the sale before the doors closed. From what I was told, one of the owners friends asked him to put it in the back when the sale started as he was going to buy it. When I came in the store, the owner was putting it the case. His friend backed out of the deal. There was only an hour and a half left before they closed so when I was looking at it the owner came up to me and said he'd knock off $80 if I bought it right now. SOLD!!!

Given: When my uncle unfortunately passed away I came into possession of S&W Mod 15-2 38 Special and his Mod 6 22lr. The 38 was his issue gun from when he was in the local PD. The thing is in such great shape I hardly ever take it out to the range. The blueing is seriously 99%. I doubt he ever took it out of the holster. Now the 22lr on the other hand is a complete cosmetic mess. Shoots awesome, but it has less then 30% of the original blueing on it.

Worst: Did an impulse buy on a Yugo Mauser and paid $200 for it. They can be had for a lot lower now a days. Hardly ever shoot the thing too.

goste
October 24, 2004, 03:28 PM
Absolute worse, Getting a Llama .380 free, for christmas. REAL POS.

Absolute best, Trading that same Llama,(with 3 mags and holster) for a Tauras 85 with holster and 3 speed loaders :D :D .

Best buy, 125.00 for a 2nd gen SAA .357 with 5.5 bbl, in about 1995.

worst buy, Feather mini AT .22, 150.00. :(

dog3
October 25, 2004, 03:30 PM
Best? Every firearm I've ever bought.

Worst? Every firearm I've ever sold.

"I don't own any more guns"

--"well, I don't any less either".

albanian
October 25, 2004, 06:42 PM
Best deals:
I found a 1892 Winchester 25-20 WCF takedown at a garage sale for $300. I didn't know what it was worth so I offered him $250 because there was some light rust all over it and I couldn't even see light through the bore. I took it home and most of the rust just wiped off with some oil and there was some insulation plugging the bore, it cleaned up pretty nice. I traded it a few weeks later to a gun store owner that likes these guns for a NIB Ruger SS Mini-14 and and a nice blued 4" S&W 586.

I also recently bought a Mossberg 500 at a pawn store for about $65. I swapped the 30" tube for a 18" rifle sighted smooth bore and bought a black plastic pistol grip stock and forend on gunbroker for cheap and not I have a cool looking tactical shotgun instead of an old beater. I have less than $100 in it and I could sell it for twice that around here.

Worst deals:
Kel-Tec P-32. I thought they were the ticket because of the size and weight but mine never worked and it ended up costing me about $300 and a bunch of ammo just to get the picture that this gun was a total POS. I traded straight up for a used Beretta 21A. I know the 21A is not worth $300 or even $200 but it was probably worth $150 and at that point, I was glad to get something out of the deal. The Beretta has been tons of fun and it has been 100% with Stingers and is 99% with cheap ammo it likes.

Ala Dan
October 25, 2004, 10:24 PM
Best: NIB Browning Practical Hi-Power = $399.88

Worst: NIB SIG-SAUER .40S&W P229 = $760.00

Super Worst: S&W K-38 Masterpiece = $50.00
It was a stolen weapon

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

PinnedAndRecessed
October 26, 2004, 03:00 AM
The best deals were the ones I've bought.

The worst deals were every gun I've ever sold. I'm not going to tell you about them because it is too painful. Somebody needs to just beat the snot out of me for selling so many of my "children."

The one that most breaks my heart was when I was living in Nashville, TN, in college, and sold a mint Colt National Match for $200. And some no-good low life Nashvillian actually bought it! The cad! It breaks my heart to this day.

WEPS
October 26, 2004, 03:18 AM
i sold my glock 23 to a friend who was in need, i gave him a very good price 300.00 for a weapon that had just under 1,500 rounds through it. i took that money and bought a bersa thunder 380.no big deal, i was going to down grade anyway and fill the ccw role with glock 19. the bersa would fill the gap for now and then be relagated to backup duty once i got the 19...:banghead: little did i know i would be divorced 2 weeks later with a 1,000.00 dollar child support payment. thank god i still have my 75b,hk usp,sks, moss 500 and nagant or i might feel a little outgunned when i am at home. now i only feel outgunned when i leave my house.

XavierBreath
October 26, 2004, 02:44 PM
Best Deals:
http://www.bayourovers.com/Thunderers.jpg
I found the top revolver AT A GUNSTORE priced at $125 among all the blackpowder pistols. It's a .357magnum. I asked about the price, was rudely assured by the owner's smart aleck kid that it was right, so I bought it, a Cimarron Thunderer NIB for $125. Hell, I felt so bad about the deal that I went back later and bought the one below it, a .45LC with a .45ACP cylinder for $130. (I then installed the grips that are on it now) Heck, I don't even do the cowboy shooting thing, and THAT was to good to pass up!

http://www.bayourovers.com/1910Luger.jpg
Inheirited. A 1910 double digit Luger.

http://www.bayourovers.com/RiotGun.jpg
$25, but the gun was totally disassembled and in a cardboard box.

Worst Deal.......
S&W/Walther PPK/S for my wife, new. I knew better, but when she decided to learn to shoot, I wanted to get her the gun she wanted. She was unable to chamber a round reliably, and the gun had feeding problems. I got $300 for it as a trade-in, mainly because the grips were cracked NIB, and I had replaced them with stags.

Worst Deal Runner-up......
A Glock 26. It was reliable until the rear sight started moving to the right in the first fifty rounds. Thankfully it was a used gun, and I was shooting it prior to purchase. I refused it, and moved on. It was halfway accurate if you thumbed the rear sight over every shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best and worst gun deals you've ever made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!