Leupold VX-III vs. Leupold LPS

PDA

ojibweindian
October 17, 2004, 11:49 AM
Which is more durable, has better clarity and brightness, holds zero better, and has truer W/E adjustments?

I'm really tired of cheap scopes and am willing to shell out the dough for a once in a lifetime scope purchase.

Forgot to mention that the VX-III I'm looking at is a 3.5-10X40 and the LPS I'm interested in is a 2.5-10X45

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold VX-III vs. Leupold LPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tex_n_cal
October 17, 2004, 12:39 PM
I can't attest for the LPS, but I have 4 Vari-X III's and never had a problem with any of them. One of my 3.5x10's took some pretty hard knocks on one hunt, and wasn't fazed.

I suppose theoretically the 30mm tube of the LPS might buy you a few extra minutes of shooting light, but most states I know of limit you to 30 minutes after dark, and a VX-III is plenty good enough for that. I have compared them side by side with Zeiss, Swaroski, etc., and really can't see any difference in dim light.

dakotasin
October 18, 2004, 12:58 AM
go w/ the vx-3. the lps is a nice scope, but doesn't offer enough over the vx-3 to justify the exorbitant price on it. vx-3's are also available w/ 30mm tubes.

vx-3 and don't look back.

Mylhouse
October 18, 2004, 01:42 AM
Are the VX-3 scopes noticeably better than the Vari X III scopes?

dakotasin
October 18, 2004, 10:06 AM
well... yes, if you have a good, hyper-critical eye for optics.

understand the varix-3 was the benchmark that all others were measured by for the longest time, so it is a durn good scope. but, the vx-3 is better, if only ever so slightly.

i have been keeping my eye open for varix-3's on the used counters at shops and such. i've managed to score a couple at prices that couldn't be turned down (ridiculously low!). i've got no problem, and feel no disadvantage by putting the vari-x's on.

if ya want the best all around deal in riflescopes today, you'd be awfully hard pressed to beat a new vx-2. a dedicated eye could find some screaming deals on varix-3's, too.

uglymofo
October 18, 2004, 11:06 AM
You haven't stated your requirements, but the 40mm will run out of elevation before the 30mm-tubed 50 will.

ctdonath
October 18, 2004, 11:59 AM
FWIW: As there seems some interest, I have a slightly used VariX-III with mildot reticle that I could part with ... PM me ...

The VX3 served me very well at Storm Mountain, sitting on a Steyr Scout and working out to 900m. Only complaint is the 1/4-MOA turrets provide more precision than I need at the cost of multiple rotations (makes 4 full turns); I'd rather have 1-MOA clicks and just one rotation per turret - but that's me and my application.

ojibweindian
October 18, 2004, 08:49 PM
You haven't stated your requirements, but the 40mm will run out of elevation before the 30mm-tubed 50 will.

Shots at game to 300 yds. and shots at targets up to 800 yds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leupold VX-III vs. Leupold LPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!