Attn: All Those In Or Around Cincinnati

PDA

Black92LX
October 18, 2004, 03:48 PM
The Xavier University College Republicans are bringing John Lott to campus on Thursday October 28th at 7:00pm. He will be speaking and debating on gun control. He will be debating Cincinnati City Councilman David Crowley.

This debate will be held in the Xavier University Cintas Center Banquet Rooms and it is free to all that wish to attend. I encourage as many to make it that can.

I am assuming most everyone knows who John Lott is but in case you don't his website is www.johnrlott.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn: All Those In Or Around Cincinnati" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
October 18, 2004, 05:51 PM
Cool.

I'll try to make it up there & will spread the word down this way to people who aren't hanging out here on THR :D .

Henry Bowman
October 19, 2004, 12:08 PM
I plan to attend. Maybe we can meet up for dinner first. Let me know.

SnakeEater
October 19, 2004, 12:25 PM
Man I'd love to attend. One problem though......I don't think CCW is allowed there. I'm not to keen on going to Cinci in the evening without my little buddy with me. What do you think?

PMDW
October 19, 2004, 12:42 PM
If only I could drive.

And had a car.

carpettbaggerr
October 19, 2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think CCW is allowed there. So carry openly. That's legal, isn't it?

PMDW
October 19, 2004, 12:49 PM
I think he means because it's a school.

Black92LX
October 19, 2004, 12:49 PM
I plan to attend. Maybe we can meet up for dinner first. Let me know.

I am actually having dinner with the man himself that night. and helping set up and such. so unfortunatly that won't work. but maybe we could hit up Graeter's afterwards if you want. We could have an mini THR gathering.

Man I'd love to attend. One problem though......I don't think CCW is allowed there. I'm not to keen on going to Cinci in the evening without my little buddy with me. What do you think?
Concealed means concealed right?

SnakeEater
October 19, 2004, 01:25 PM
Concealed means concealed right?

Yes, that is true and it is something that all of us have to deal with. Hell, count me in. I'm up for dinner and all of that stuff too. Lets try to get some solid plans together.

Mike

Black92LX
October 19, 2004, 01:32 PM
unfortunatly i am busy for dinner. (I will see if i can pull some strings and maybe get you all into the dinner with Lott aswell) no promises. but we have a meeting tonight i will see what i can do.

But the Hyde Park Graeter's is right down the road and i would definatly be up for that afterwards.

Greg L
October 19, 2004, 02:57 PM
The rest of us could meet somewhere for dinner. I know of a Chinese place over in Norwood that is usually fairly quiet so we could sit around & tell lies to/about each other :D .

sendec
October 19, 2004, 03:14 PM
Intentionally breaking the law while attending an event that centers around the lawful use of firearms doesnt really sit right. XU is'nt that horrible, a couple hours without should be survivable.

Black92LX
October 19, 2004, 03:38 PM
XU is'nt that horrible, a couple hours without should be survivable.

it is actually become quite serious, that students have been forced to move out of their houses because of ongoing altercations with the neighborhood folks. All to many people i know have been attacked. This year it is especially high. I belive we have had 20+ students attacked already this year. And we have only been here for 8 weeks now.

http://www.xu.edu/newswire/editions/040922/oped-staff.htm

SnakeEater
October 19, 2004, 04:08 PM
Intentionally breaking the law while attending an event that centers around the lawful use of firearms doesnt really sit right. XU is'nt that horrible, a couple hours without should be survivable.

Sorry, but that's not the way I operate. I never assume anything and with my luck those couple of hours would be the time that something did happen. Like I said, I'm up for this............and so is the USP45:evil:

sendec
October 19, 2004, 09:32 PM
Then dont go. We cannot have it both ways. If you want CCW legitimized it requires a strict adherence to the law, stupid though it may be. The attitude that one will do whatever one wants is cavalier and only provides ammo for the antis. Instead of breaking the law maybe the effort should be in changing it.

I carry 24/7 because I want to, not because I need to. If you believe that an environment is so dangerous that carry is mandatory, I would'nt go there. It isnt a matter of taking a chance, it is a matter of a realistic assessment of threat.

Getting arrested for a CCW violation does no one any good.

FWIW I used to live and went to school about a half mile from Xavier, so I have a familiarity with the area. No further, enjoy the debate.

Black92LX
October 19, 2004, 10:48 PM
We cannot have it both ways. If you want CCW legitimized it requires a strict adherence to the law, stupid though it may be.
So you are saying living by every little thing the governement tells us to do they will magically stop infringing upon our rights?????

I can't say i agree with that. I would have to refer back to the old saying give them an inch and they'll take a mile. The more we comply with no fight the more they will impose upon us.

It is a sticky situation. but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

johnc522
October 20, 2004, 12:51 AM
I live in Mason, will plan on being at the XU debate. I would be up for dinner before, or ice cream/coffee/drinks after.

Black92LX
October 20, 2004, 01:01 AM
good stuff. looking forward to meeting those of you whom i haven't yet!

Dave Williams
October 20, 2004, 01:05 AM
I would also like to attend this, but don't know if I will.

Re not carrying where it's prohibited, ever hear the quote, "When someone tells you it's safe, reach for your pistol." ???

Dave Williams

sendec
October 20, 2004, 09:00 AM
That's not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is two-fold: First, it is hard to claim to be a "law-abiding citizen" and one of the good guys when you choose to ignore laws that you do not like. You are in fact sacrificing the moral high ground. Second, Ohio has had CCW for what, maybe six months now, and you are already trying to subvert it? The cause will be advanced by working to get the law changed, not by breaking it. If you believe that civil disobediance is appropriate in this setting, it will only lead to change if you march up to a Xavier police officer and have him arrest you for carrying in a restricted area. Then you can argue your cause in court and see where it goes.

Ohio's CCW rules serve as a sterling example of poorly crafted rules, but they are the best you have at this time. Throwing away what little progress they represent by knowingly and willingly violating them seems counterproductive, especially at this early stage of the game. I contend that the best way to demonstrate the inanity of a given rule is by scrupulous adherence to it.

As a practical matter, I am confident that certain sections of the Ohio regs are violated on a regular basis with no explicit criminal intent, but that doesnt make it right. If a person is going to avail themselves of the CCW system it is implicit that they uphold their end by not violating the contract

How about asking Lott what he thinks about it?

SnakeEater
October 20, 2004, 11:51 AM
sendec,

I can sympathize with your point of view, heck every now and then I drift into thinking along those lines as well. The delima we face is this; miss out on going to certain places and events because CCW is not allowed; knowingly violate the law and carry anyway; or worst of all IMO is the option of going unarmed. I'm not trying to give the impression that I carry 24/7 because I don't, but I sure strive to. The odds are heavily in favor of nothing life threatening happening, no matter where you go on a day to day basis. It's being that 1 in a 1000 that something does happen to that worries me. Your argument is that everybody should but thereselves at risk because some beaurocrats say so.

I have 3 little girls and a wife that depend on me. If I let my guard down for 1 second and something happened to me or them than I failed in my responsibilties. This is not acceptable. It's definately not a choice that I'll willingly make. I apologize for sorta hijacking the thread, I've said all I'm gonna say about this.

Hey what's the dress attire for this event?

Black92LX
October 20, 2004, 11:56 AM
nothin real fancy. i will peobably break out some jeans:what: and my molon labe t shirt

Henry Bowman
October 20, 2004, 01:10 PM
I will be the lawyerly-looking one in a suit. :cool:

Edited to add: I have a Federalist Society Lawyers lunch meeting earlier that day. Otherwise, as Black92LX knows, I'd be wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Greg L
October 20, 2004, 01:43 PM
After the shirt thread down in RT, perhaps I should wear my kilt :D .

Henry Bowman
October 20, 2004, 01:56 PM
Greg - Only if it is "gun nut BDU camo" plaid.:scrutiny:

Black92LX
October 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
Looking forward to meeting you all.

So far we have
Me
Henry Bowman
Greg L
SnakeEater
johnc522
not bad
cstreu1026 will be coming aswell he doesn't post here much but he'll be attending.

Greg L
October 25, 2004, 02:02 PM
So, what/where are we doing/going for dinner?

I know of a decent Chinese place in Norwood or there is a bunch of stuff @ Rookwood, Kenwood, etc.

5:30ish?

Henry Bowman
October 25, 2004, 02:35 PM
I have no preference. I will show up when/where told (married 20 years :D ). My only comment is that it should be quick enough in and out that we are not late to the "show." Afterward, there is a UDF nearby if anyone else has a sweet tooth.

Black92LX
October 25, 2004, 04:17 PM
Afterward, there is a UDF nearby if anyone else has a sweet tooth.
Graeter's is just a little ways farther down the road. and the area is much nicer.

I know Henry Bowman and Greg so i will link up with you all at the debate.

Greg L
October 25, 2004, 06:30 PM
Ok, how about this for dinner:

Penn Station in Hyde Park on Edwards @ 5:30 or so. Map here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=3646+Edwards+Rd.&city=&state=&zipcode=45208&search=++Search++) . It will only be a quick trip down to X from there (assuming that one of you knows where to go once at X).

I'll wear one of Larry's Molon Labe hats as our secret lodge symbol :D (or look for the rather .. er .. top heavy brunette that will be with me :uhoh: (thankfully she doesn't browse here :D ).

Greg

Black92LX
October 25, 2004, 07:13 PM
i can give you all directions to xavier from that penn station if you need them. it's easy just a couple turns.

Greg L
October 25, 2004, 09:10 PM
Well instead of telling us that you can why don't you just do so :rolleyes: .

:D :neener: :D

Black92LX
October 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
i don't know the street names so i will get them for you all tomorrow
:neener:

Black92LX
October 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
dp:cuss:

johnc522
October 26, 2004, 02:15 AM
I'll be there, Penn Station at 530 on Edwards Rd.

john

Greg L
October 26, 2004, 09:20 AM
i don't know the street names so i will get them for you all tomorrow

:( It's sad the state of education today.

[old fart mode] Back in my day if I was given a map (see Map here above) I could have figured out what to do & where to go w/o having to physically drive the route.

It's sad to see that my partial alma mater seems to have forgotten logic & common sense in their current curriculum. Then too there was that whole uphill through thigh deep snow in June both ways problem that I had to overcome. Why when I was younger....[/old fart mode]

Henry Bowman
October 26, 2004, 10:36 AM
Just identify the target destination. We'll use our trusty compass and sextant (or onboard navigation system) to find it.

Seriously, is it at Cintas Center or another building associated with it?

Black92LX
October 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
It's sad the state of education today.

i can get ya there! you just won't have street names, which kind of defeats the purpose. thought the street names would come in handy for you all.

it's in the Cintas Center, you will enter on the side. (if facing main entrance it will be on your right) the same side you park on. just walk down the steps and into the doors near the ticket office.

johnc522
October 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Greg L,
you think yo uhad it bad walking uphill both ways to school in thigh deep snow in June? That was NOTHING!! When I was a kid, we were so poor....not only could we not afford shoes, we couldn't even afford feet. We just had to stump along through the snow!

Greg L
October 26, 2004, 03:00 PM
:banghead:

Ok one more time. A map is a device that has not only intersecting lines that roughly replicate the way that the streets look like but it even has the names of the same streets listed (oddly enough) on the lines that represent that particular street. If you were to click on the link above (& probably zoom out one step) it would give you the names of the streets that you want us to take to come hang out with you in a couple of days. :rolleyes: :D

Someone remind me on Thursday evening not to give someone a wedgie right in front of Dr. Lott :evil: .

Greg L
October 26, 2004, 03:06 PM
Oh never mind.

Driving directions are here (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&1ex=1&un=m&2ex=1&2tabval=address&cl=EN&ct=NA&1v=ADDRESS&1tabval=address&1y=US&1a=3646+Edwards+Rd&1c=Cincinnati&1s=OH&1z=45208-1304&1ah=&2y=US&2a=1624+Herald+Ave&2c=&2s=&2z=45207&2ah=&idx=0&id=417e9f09-0022c-01bb9-400c330a&aid=417e9f09-0022d-01bb9-400c330a&bs.x=0&bs.y=0) complete with one of those mysterious map thingies :D .

Or get back on I71 South
Take the Dana Ave exit
Turn right onto Dana
Turn right onto Ledgewood Dr.
Turn right onto Herald Ave.
Park the car at the Center

Black92LX
October 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
that's the long way but it works!:neener:

See you all there

hnm201
October 26, 2004, 10:13 PM
Will it be legal for a KY resident with a KY CCDW permit to carry concealed on the campus at the debate?

Black92LX
October 26, 2004, 10:34 PM
nope state law prohibits firearms on campus in any manner unless LEO.

Black92LX
October 27, 2004, 07:01 PM
*********ATTENTION***********************
Breaking news David Crowley has dropped out of the debate. he contacted us today (the day before).
Pretty lame move in my opinion, i am awaiting more information. I assume Lott will just be speaking. I was just informed of this new 20 minutes ago. i will post when i know more.

johnc522
October 27, 2004, 10:51 PM
Hey, on the XU campus alone, they must have scores of "social science" faculty who would be glad to pick up the banner of statism/communism. Or are they gutless as well as dickless?

PMDW
October 27, 2004, 10:56 PM
Moore was in town, today. Maybe if you order a few dozen pizzas you can convince him to stick around.

johnc522
October 28, 2004, 01:34 AM
Boy am I glad I missed Moore-on. It makes me sick to see him wearing a Michigan State ball cap most of the time. I went to school there...actually largely appropriate since it is a commie haven.

Black92LX
October 28, 2004, 01:51 AM
bet he wore a UC hat today. He wore a Xavier hat when he spoke here last year.

He was officially the fattest person to ever wear a xavier hat!

Greg L
October 28, 2004, 08:53 AM
So are we still on for now? If not do you still want to do dinner (perhaps somewhere a little nicer now)? I'll need to know by 2:00 or so as I'll be leaving around then to run some chores beforehand (Black/Henry check your PM's & I'll give you my cell #).

As an important aside, is Xavier paying Dr. Lott anything to come in & debate? If they are you should send the bill for his fee to Crowley for cancelling at the last second (less than one business day). I'm sure that he won't pay it but it could be good media fodder (get Bronson to write a column about how he ducked the debate & then ducked the bill :evil: ). With all the white noise going on with the elections it will probably get lost but there might be some interest in a local politician acting like a spineless worm.

Black92LX
October 28, 2004, 11:24 AM
As far as I know Lott will still be speaking. I will make some calls to find out for sure.

Check your PM as well.

Black92LX
October 28, 2004, 03:21 PM
All the times are the same the only thing that has changed is the forum. Lott will be speaking with an open question and answer at the end. I will see you guys at the Cintas Center and we can grab some Graeter's.

Henry Bowman
October 28, 2004, 04:00 PM
Be there. Aloha.

Greg L
October 29, 2004, 12:22 AM
& a good time was had by all....

Dr. Lott was quite good. It seemed to be a "preaching to the choir" event given that the local councilman bailed out (probably a good move on his part, he had nothing to gain by showing up).

It was good to finally put some faces to the names here, now we just need to put some lead downrange sometime.

We even got to meet Black's mom who was pleasantly surprised that we appeared normal & not knuckle dragging wierdos :D . That is at least until she asked me if I was going to be at Pres. Bush's rally at the stadium on Sunday. I told her that it would be nice to go to but I had to stay home & spray paint the dogs instead. Her expressions progressed from :confused: to :what: to :uhoh: while looking for the nearest door :evil: .

The funniest part is that is exactly what I will be doing Sunday afternoon (I'll be converting our three newfies into giant skunks for trick or treating that evening :D ).

Greg

Black92LX
October 29, 2004, 12:38 AM
that's my mom. she is a trip. i will post the pictures tomorrow.

Henry Bowman
October 29, 2004, 09:33 AM
I had the same reaction to the "spray painting the dog" comment. :uhoh: I let the "safe and normal" insult roll right off my back. :D Black92LX's mom was nice.

John Lott is an impressive speaker. Guns are not his only issue. He said he was in town to give expert testimony on economic statistics related to pending voting lawsuits already brought by the Democratic [sic] party in Ohio.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attn: All Those In Or Around Cincinnati" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!