Old sharpshooter glasses

PDA

Shanghai McCoy
October 18, 2004, 08:50 PM
While down in New Orleans a while back I saw some glasses displayed at a Southern War of Independance museum.They were amber frosted glass with small clear sections in the center.The museum had them listed as Sharpshooters glasses.Any of you historical types(Gary) know anyting about these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Old sharpshooter glasses" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
October 18, 2004, 09:17 PM
Seen them, but have never seen any documentation supporting that these glasses were for sharpshooters. All the shooting books (including the military manuals on marksmanship that I have) I've read from the period never mentioned glasses reduce glare or otherwise. One person told me they had a more germane purpose than sharpshooting.

Think about it, if such was the case, why weren't more issued by either side - especially the Union?

Shanghai McCoy
October 18, 2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks Gary.I was wondering about that because I have a pair of them and the unfrosted spot is in the wrong place for sighting a rifle.What was the "more germane purpose"that you were told of?
BTW,welcome back from your trip.Sounds like you had a good time.

4v50 Gary
October 18, 2004, 09:56 PM
Cataracts? I'll ask Larry (not on this website).

BTW, I once had a chance to buy a pair ($10) but I passed. I'm more interested in collecting information than the actual object. Relics require temperature, humidity control as well as fire & theft protection. That's a lot of work for lazy old me & I'll let the museums do the collecting.

Shanghai McCoy
October 18, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hmm,cataracts sounds feasible.Thanks again Gary.It makes sense cause the frames are pretty small.BTW,I did'nt buy them,they were just in some stuff that my mom had.When I saw them in the museum I remembered I had a pair someplace.Just found them again recently so thought I'd ask here.Thanks oh Sensei of the Smokepole:D .Best regards,Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "Old sharpshooter glasses" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!