Deer Processing? (NC Triangle)

PDA

ChristopherG
October 18, 2004, 09:01 PM
I'm a new hunter in the Triangle area of North Carolina (Hillsborough, west of Durham), and I have to admit the part of hunting that intimidates me most is what comes after the hypothetical kill. I know there are places that process deer carcasses, but I don't know:

what they process them into;

how they're paid or what they cost;

what you have to do to the carcass before taking it to the processor (beyond gutting/field dressing);

or who does this in my area.

I'd appreciate a pointer in the direction of resources for this information, or someone who knows this stuff and has the time to type it out. I mean, I don't even know what to look at in the phone book (nothing I've tried yields anything). Thanks, oh wizened ones ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer Processing? (NC Triangle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Browns Fan
October 19, 2004, 08:11 AM
I take mine to Noble meats in Spring lake, he just requires you to field dress it and skin it. He'll do the rest. I took my last kill to him (it was a button buck) and had him butterfly the backstrap and make breakfast sausage links with the rest. He did a great job (no grissle in the sausage at all). He charged me $30.

WhiteKnight
October 19, 2004, 07:43 PM
I know there's a fellow who does it on Creech Road; I pass by his house and "deer cut and wrap" yard sign every day. Creech Road is in Southeast Raleigh/Garner BTW.

If you would like more information, give me a holler and I'll be sure to write down his phone number tomorrow morning.

41 Redhawk
October 20, 2004, 09:59 AM
Stop in your gun shop and ask there. They usually have a list of folks that do things like processing and taxidermy. Alot of processors want the skin. I know of a good one in Danville but that is a bit far for you to travel.

ChristopherG
October 20, 2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll start by taking 41R's suggestion; that'll probably net me someone a bit closer to home and hunting ground than Creech rd, though I appreciate the offer to help, Whiteknight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deer Processing? (NC Triangle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!