Runt: what words can I use?

PDA

Monkeyleg
February 25, 2003, 12:27 AM
This was to be my reply to Runt's editing in the "Squirrel" thread, but I think it need its own topic. Make no mistake: this is Oleg's and Runt's forum. I just want to get a handle on where language crosses the line. I'd sure appreciate input from either of you.

The following is the reason why I used the word b**** to describe my neighbor. Maybe I need to go back and re-read some of the floating language posts. Please give me your input.

None of the above should be funny, but in hindsight it is. (Unless Buddy had friends who came to visit that I don't yet know about).

Runt, I noticed you bleeped some letters from my description of my neighbor. Your house, your rules.

Voilsb (and Runt) may not understand just how far I've extended the olive branch to the BND. She's been here over three years now. Shortly after moving in, she bought two puppies. (She's a Canuk, and swears that dogs should run free wherever they live--city or country).

First few months, I held my silence when she brought the dogs out at 3 am to "do their business." For awhile, I even tolerated stepping on their piles when I mowed the lawn.

Eventually, though, tolerance reaches an end. When she was out and about in her yard, and Deb and I had just finished cleaning up her dog's piles, I approached her. Prefacing my remarks by saying that my business had been terrible, I told her that the combination of my insomnia and her relieving her dogs at 3 am was taking a real physical toll on me.

Her response? "There's nothing I can do about it."

Really? I asked if she could take them out the northside door, where I wouldn't be awakened by their noise.

"It's too much trouble to go to that end of the house."

Yep, I needed to reach out to her.

Weeks later, my wife picked up 36 piles as I mowed the lawn. She put them into a bag, placed them on the BND's porch, and I went over to talk. Again, I asked if we couldn't reach some agreement.

"There's nothing I can do about it," she repeated. "It's their training procedure."

Nothing? I reminded her that the city has a fine of $200 per pile, and that my wife had just picked up 36. Do the math, I said. Further, her "training" of her dogs was having an effect upon my health.

"There's nothing I can do about it."

Time passed, dogs barked, and she became even more intolerable. To fill a couple of flowerbeds in the front yard, she had fifteen yards of dirt dropped off. On my side of the lotline. The pile sat there for five months, until weeds were growing--I kid you not--two feet tall from the pile, and spreading into my front yard.

"There's nothing I can do about it."

She attempted to solve the doggie pile problem by putting up a fence. Even Himmler would have been embarrassed at the sight, and ordered shot anyone who would have constructed such an abomination. And the dogs still slip under and leave us their piles.

Since I was a teen, I've always carried a weapon. Gun, knife, brass knuckles, whatever. Nowadays, I let any slights just pass. I don't want to shoot. Ever.

Voilsb, tell me how much further I should go to accomodate this fruitcake.

And, Runt, please let me know what words I can properly use to describe her.

Truth be told, I'm sorry I had to use a Hydra-Shok on Buddy. It would have been put to better use on the BND. Buddy would have at least been a bit more reasonable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Runt: what words can I use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
February 25, 2003, 12:41 AM
Monkeyleg, interesting story, but it's OT, IMO. Are you sure Runt didn't bounce the other thread for that reason?

CZ-75
February 25, 2003, 01:25 AM
So. what have you done to the BND to get her dealing with the man?

Have you videotaped the infractions with a camcorder for the police/prosecutor to review?

I read that you call the police, but what has been their take on the matter?

Animal control?

I wouldn't want to do anything to the dogs, save perhaps taking them into custody until authorities arrive. Dogs are being dogs, whereas their owner is being stupid.

Did you call the building inspector or codes dept., etc. about the dirt (possibly the fence might not fit the specs)?

Lawsuit/small claims court for the nuisance/loss of enjoyment of your property?

Homeowner's association?

Sounds like a soap opera, but it I'm sure it's more interesting to read about than live with

voilsb
February 25, 2003, 01:59 AM
I honestly had no idea I was touching on such a sore subject. I'm sorry I got you riled up.

I also had no idea what you'd done so far, either. About the dog poo, when she said she wouldn't do anything about it I would have continued with the $200/pile thing and had the city issue a ticket or something.

With the pile of dirt, after she refused to do anything about it (after dumping it in your yard) I would have either moved it into her yard (it was her dirt) or made use of it for myself.

I certainly beleive, after your explanation, that you should just be strict with her regarding the law. I don't think it is appropriate to release rodents in her house, but I'd do what I could to get trespassing, littering, disturbing the peace, or excessive noice citations issued based on the circumstances.

Essentially, if she is not willing to help you work it out peacefully (which it sounds you've tried) then make it happen legally. Resorting to a feud of "I'll prank her back" doesn't sound like a wise solution, though.

And again, I'm sorry I hit on such a sore part of the subject. I really did enjoy your story, though. And the language, although not necessary, did not offend me at all.

Monkeyleg
February 25, 2003, 03:43 PM
All: last night I was extremely brain-dead from a lack of sleep.

This forum belongs to Oleg and Runt, as I said. It's their house and their rules. The complaint department is at another IP address.

Runt, if you're reading this, please accept my apologies for the use of the "B" word, and please lock this whiney thread.

FPrice
February 25, 2003, 04:11 PM
FWIW, I would take your side in this...disagreement....with the aforementioned woman.

But I am glad to see that you understand and have accepted that it is Oleg's and Runt's forum and that they have the right to enforce their standards. Says a lot about you.

P.S. I enjoyed your original story.

Oleg Volk
February 25, 2003, 04:33 PM
Seems to me your use the the term would be offensive to any female dogs who might be reading THR. After all, most dogs are far nicer entities than the abovementioned neighbor. ;)

Sometimes strong words are necessary and appropriate. Sometimes even thre strongest words won't express what a ten-gauge slugs point blank would. But the reason I've asked for the restraint on the use of vulgarities here is that we are not really in combat while on this forum. We are at the same time at rest in the company of friends and on parade in front of the lutkers. Some decorum is due out of respect for the freinds present and for PR reasons in front of the lurkers. We can't afford to come off as rabid.

Besides, the word "lawsuit" is a lot nastier than any of the Hayes' Commission unmentionables...

XLMiguel
February 25, 2003, 04:36 PM
So, to keep this gun related, who needs shooting here?

bogie
February 25, 2003, 05:22 PM
Heh, if the cops ignore you, and there's a law on the books, gather up the "evidence," and mail it to 'em.

Betty
February 25, 2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Monkeyleg.

I edited out the b word because we don't do profanities here. That word isn't on the filter list because it is the proper term for a four legged ;) female dog, and can be used in that context.

There's plenty of other creative terms to describe non-THR members - I recently came across "batfart" in some other thread here at THR.

Try calling her "She Who Has a Thick Skull Filled With Thin Air." :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Runt: what words can I use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!