Safety Note for knives

PDA

Navy joe
February 25, 2003, 02:22 AM
Don't cut yourself! :D

But seriously, if you engage in physical activities while carrying a folder consider putting a rubber band around it so it won't open when you don't want it to. As an example, I find my Buck Strider ( you think I'd carry a light gun rather than a crew-served knife :confused: )working open when I jog. Being a lefty I carry tip-up, but even tip down could bite you if you do something that has a high potential for violent actions.
What made me think about it was an upcoming ski trip. I really don't want a easy opening knife opening itself on my person while I'm spreading myself all over the mountain. I've taken crashes so ugly I'd probably not carry a chambered firearm either. I'd go for a sheath knife, but extreme rentention isn't always a top prioity in sheaths, so I think I'll take the rubberband and deal with a harder to deploy knife. Besides, I've got fiberglass ski poles and sharp 6ft sticks, I think the knife is lower priority.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Note for knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
February 25, 2003, 03:16 PM
You might want consider sending the knife back to Buck. I sounds like it lacks a detent or has a defective one.

If you are loath to part with the sharp pointy thing long enough to get it repaired you may snug the pivot up a bit and depend on the greater friction to hold it.

Navy joe
February 25, 2003, 04:00 PM
No, it's just right. I desire easy opening folders. With a violent enough impact anything short of a swiss army knife will probably open.

Jim March
February 25, 2003, 04:51 PM
My solution:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/sifucloseup.jpg

Fully tuckable IWB, extra-thin kydex :).

These are prototypes:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/both.jpg

The Sifu has a 5.45" blade, so we're in a whole new length class past that Buck...

pytron
February 25, 2003, 06:07 PM
Is that official "The Firing Line" (TFL) underwear in that picture?

:p

-Pytron

Ol' Badger
February 25, 2003, 07:58 PM
I jumped from a tree stand with my Benchmade and it popped open and gave me a nice cut.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Note for knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!