A good CCW gun belt (moving to CCW state!)?

PDA

greyhound
October 19, 2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I move from Maryland to Birmingham, AL next week, and will finally be able to carry.

Can anyone reccommend a good CCW belt? I'll probably start out with a 4" S&W Model 64, since I have blown the "J-frame purchase fund" I started by selling my Ruger P-97, on mil surp rifles!:o

Seems weird to even be thinking of legal CCW!

I hear conflicting stories that Jefferson County requires 6 month residency for CCW; I e-mailed them last week but haven't heard anything.

Oh yeah, back to the question - the holster will be a Hoffner's Miurage IWB- but from what little I know the belt makes all the difference!

If you enjoyed reading about "A good CCW gun belt (moving to CCW state!)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamisJockey
October 19, 2004, 07:11 PM
Go with a good, sturdy, 1 1/2" ish leather belt. Mine is just from a department store, but its nice and thick and sturdy. Holds my IWB holster like glue.

Ryder
October 19, 2004, 07:25 PM
I've been using one of these for a couple years. Should be good for many more to come.

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/

greyhound
October 19, 2004, 07:46 PM
Just measured my "everyday" belt I got at Target - 1 1/4 ".

I think you are right Act1man - thick and sturdy is the key. This Target belt is neither. I might just get a custom "gun belt" if I can't find anything comparable.

And Ryder - liked their holsters too!

Doc
October 19, 2004, 07:52 PM
i get all my gun belts at dillon, the people with the blue book
dillon precision, it's not just for reloading (http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=21&min=3&dyn=1&)

Safety First
October 19, 2004, 08:22 PM
www.wildbillsconcealment.com excellent quality,fair price but order soon,the wait may be long as his work is in high demand. I bought the 1-1/4" double thick, it holds my Sig P239 very well in the holster that Bill made for me. several other good leather makers but he is the only one I have experience with..good luck...

greyhound
October 19, 2004, 08:43 PM
Doc - pardon my ignorance, but does the option for the buckle mean you get a "special" buckle, or the regular belt comes without any buckle?

Thanks

El Tejon
October 19, 2004, 08:46 PM
Since no one has plugged them, Milt Sparks. Tony and crew know what they are doing.

I have been carrying for several decades now. Milt Sparks has always served me very well.:)

greyhound
October 19, 2004, 08:51 PM
Safety First-

Good grief - that music that popped up on their site almost gave me a heart attacK!:D

Seriously, they looked quite good on belts - their regular was twice the thickness of "Wal Mart/Target belts" which looks good to me....

ExtremeDooty
October 19, 2004, 08:53 PM
Get a sharkskin belt from Rafter S Gunleather. I've been wearing one with a matching IWB for over a year with no signs of wear. You'll get great service too.

greyhound
October 19, 2004, 08:55 PM
El T-

(wow I haven't posted this much in a long time - guess I had become a lurker!)

I saw their website - they get much positive recommendations- but make belts suitable for revolver holsters? Everything I see there was for 1911s - but as a custom maker they could certainly do K-Frames too.

azrael
October 19, 2004, 09:09 PM
If ya got "dunlop" go with the 1 1/4...

I tend to hate double thickness belts...IMHO they are only needed for HEAVY CCW's....a 4in smith would prolly qualify though...

a single 10-11oz belt will prolly work for most people...But that dern double thickness stuff just seems to sell... :D

MrMurphy
October 19, 2004, 09:10 PM
Aker B21 from www.galls.com for about $30.

I have a Wild Bill's belt and it "died" after a year, it's no longer a "gunbelt" it's just a heavy belt and doesn't support a gun well anymore.

www.thewilderness.com for the 5-stitch Instructor's Belt, the single best gunbelt out there, for $35.

Deavis
October 19, 2004, 09:12 PM
I bet the quality is great but those belts look like crap from a dress standpoint. No offense to you older guys, but my Grandpa wears belts like that (around his armpits) and I would have to be paid big bucks to wear that tacky round brass buckle. Maybe I can send them a couple of my normal belts and they can use the buckles from them? I want a nice gun belt but shizam, I want it to look decent too.

JerryM
October 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
Another vote for RafterS.

I recently got a sharkskin gun belt from them, and it is beautiful. I have some other gun belts, El Paso Saddlery, Bianchi, and Wild Bills. The Rafter S is the hands down best of all of them.
The price is very low for the quality.

Jerry

19112XS
October 19, 2004, 10:23 PM
There's one possibility in the Cabela's catalog, the "Upland Belt," #LE-90-1006, brown, brass, 1.5" 30"-52" for $27.95. Not exactly my first fashion choice, but the price for a sturdy leather belt makes it look a lot better.

Daniel L
October 19, 2004, 10:37 PM
You know what's funny.. I just moved from CA to NC and they have a 6 month residency requirement to obtain a pistol purchase permit. However, there's a 30 day residency requirement for a CCW and with the CCW you can omit the pistol permit requirement. It's a strange loophole.

Daniel L
October 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
If they don't respond to your e-mail, give the sheriff office a call. Make sure you know who told you what.

When I went to apply for my CCW in person, the person helping me didn't even know for sure if I was eligible through the loophole. They had to call their superior, and that person called their superior. In the end, I had to show proof of residency in the form of bills and that was that.

enfield
October 19, 2004, 10:46 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Now you can live like a free man! :D

My only special-purpose gunbelt is a Kramer 1 1/4" horsehide belt. Ungodly expensive (for a belt), but it should last forever.

Chupacabra
October 20, 2004, 01:22 AM
Another thumbs up for Rafter S. Gunleather.

:D

Bulldozer
October 20, 2004, 05:28 AM
Lou Alessi and Matt Del Fatti make the best dress-looking gun belts I've ever seen/handled/owned in my many years of carrying pistols. My father used an Alessi belt for over a decade and passed three years ago. I inherited the belt and use it -- looks and works as good as new.

The Tucker gun belts I bought recently are also quite nice, but the damn white thread on a black belt makes me feel/look less than "dressy" and takes away from the non gunbelt look. Otherwise, it's a very good product too.

Don't chintz on the belt. The $80-100 you'll spend when spread over a 10 year lifespan (or more) is cheap.

ssr
October 20, 2004, 07:16 AM
I wear my Rafters every day.

Mulliga
October 20, 2004, 08:04 AM
Wilderness Instructor's Belt. If you don't need leather, this is the way to go.

OF
October 20, 2004, 08:45 AM
Another vote for the Rafter-S belt. Very high-quality at a very nice price. The Wilderness belt is great, but my wife won't let me wear it out in public...she says it looks like I made it myself (which is not a compliment). :)

- Gabe

UltimaSE
October 20, 2004, 05:47 PM
Aker has a leather belt that has a polymer insert that stiffens the belt considerably. I've had mine for 2+ years now and I've been using it everyday for normal wear, IDPA, and steel etc. Went to a local gun shop and picked one up, might want to call around I'm fairly sure there won't be a waiting period to have it made.

Can be found here: http://www.akerleather.com/pages/concealment_other.htm

b21, or b22, can be had in brown or black leather and the buckles can be switched with two buttons.

UltimaSE

Collier
October 21, 2004, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the 'Ham. Glad to have another law abiding gun owner.

Also - I called the Sheriff's Office for you and confirmed that you DO have to be a resident for 6 months before you can apply. But that doesn't mean that you can't pickup the application and have it ready once your 6 months is up. FYI.

greyhound
October 21, 2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks Collier! I've waited 35 years to get a carry permit, I guess I can wait 6 months!:D

Packing.org did mention the 6 months, but Sheriff Hale's site didn't so I wasn't sure who was right.

Collier
October 21, 2004, 05:05 PM
No problem.

Safety First
October 21, 2004, 09:53 PM
Greyhound, Sorry I forgot to warn you about the Hawai Five-O music...I have had my belt close to 2 years and it is still much like new and I wear it every day..But like others have said, there are several good leather makers out there,just find the one best for you...good luck...

LynnMassGuy
October 21, 2004, 10:00 PM
I am comepletely satisfied with my Dillon belt.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=21&min=3&dyn=1&

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99736&highlight=dillon

W Turner
October 22, 2004, 02:33 PM
First of all, welcome to Alabama. I have lived in north AL my entire life and still don't have a desire to move.

If you want a synthetic, the Wilderness 5 stitch instructor's model is the way to go. Otherwise I can recommend the Aker belts. I have a black and a brown that have lasted me for over 4 years of daily wear. The polymer stiffener works. I have easily carried everything from a j-frame up to an all-steel gov't model on both of mine with great performance.

Best of all, the aker's are only $30 from Gall's.

W

Jay Kominek
October 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
I'm not a fan of leather, so I went for the 5-stitch Instructor. I like it so much that when I lost my first one while on vacation in Canada, I bought another right as soon as I got back.
I'm sure some Canadian is happy with his new belt. :)
The velcro gets stuff in it that you've got to clean out occasionally, but the buckle and the belt itself stayed just as good as they were when brand new.
It is also pleasently inexpensive.

Bainx
October 22, 2004, 06:09 PM
I go along with the Aker from galls.com
Mine carries the heaviest gun I have and distributes the weight all along my waist. Exactly what it is supposed to do.

Correia
October 22, 2004, 07:17 PM
www.hbeleatherworks.com

Excellent leather at a great price from a THR member. I'm wearing mine right now and it is by far the best belt I have ever had.

If you enjoyed reading about "A good CCW gun belt (moving to CCW state!)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!