Winter Ammo

PDA

ExtremeDooty
October 19, 2004, 10:32 PM
Now that winter is almost here in Michigan, the heavy down coats are being worn by everyone, not just gangsta wannabes. Normally I'd be switching to FMJ for carry. But I've been looking at the Federal EFMJ and Corbon PowRball. They look good on the websites, but the information is limited.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about these rounds, especially as a self defense round when people are wearing layers of heavy clothing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
October 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Personally I'd just move to the heaviest normal weight HP for the caliber. Seeing as the clothing doesn't get very thick down here in any case, I don't even bother switching up my carry load.

Heard VERY mixed results from the EFMJ offerings...

boo17
October 19, 2004, 11:28 PM
what does ihe "e" stand for in efmj?

Daniel L
October 19, 2004, 11:34 PM
what does ihe "e" stand for in efmj?

Expanding.

Expanding Full Metal Jacket

No hollowpoint to fill and block expansion, thus very consistent expansion
through barriers
Internally skived jacket gives consistent, symmetrical expanded shape with
a large diameter
Rubber front core functions works well under a wide range of operating
velocities and temperatures
Works well in short barreled and standard barrel length handguns
Low flash propellant for low light tactical use
Reliable feed and function in semi-auto and automatic weapon
High velocity with low recoil for increases energy for effectiveness, yet reduces recoil for controllability - helps you stay on target when it counts the most
Performance designed for personal defense use, so penetrations and expansions designed to work best in situations likely to be encountered in personal defense
Clear, tamper-resistant box allows customers to see the ammunition without opening the box

ExtremeDooty
October 19, 2004, 11:39 PM
e=expanding

A small rubber ball fits into the nose of a hp bullet to prevent debris plugging and to help expand the bullet. The theory sounds good on paper, I just wonder how it works in reality.

enfield
October 19, 2004, 11:42 PM
What caliber? I carry the same ammo year round.

ExtremeDooty
October 19, 2004, 11:48 PM
40SW, 357 mag, 9mm. I've been carrying the 357 for most of the summer, but will start carrying the XD-40 pretty soon.

enfield
October 20, 2004, 12:08 AM
Golden Saber or SXT hollow points year round. No experience with Gold Dots.

ny32182
October 20, 2004, 12:19 AM
I carry 155gr Gold Dots in .40 year round. Maybe up there I would move to 165 or 180 in the winter.

cratz2
October 20, 2004, 01:58 AM
I tend to carry the same stuff year round... whatever the caliber may be... 124 Gr +P Gold Dots in 9mm, 165 Gr Golden Sabers or Gold Dots in 40, 230 Gr Golden Sabers in 45.

Maybe the mouse guns 380 and down, might be fed FMJ just to make sure, but the above mentioned rounds tend to have adequate penetration...

Bulldozer
October 20, 2004, 06:31 AM
Don't change loads for seasons.

38/357 158-grain remington +P LSWC-HP
45 230-grain PMC Starfire JHP

SapperLeader
October 20, 2004, 09:07 AM
I dont change carry loads for the seasons, but I am less likely to carry certain platforms and loads. For example my xd and 1911 both have 124+P gold dot loads and I will carry those year round. My star bm has 115 winchester jhp and I only carry it during warm months. I trust the 115 round to regular clothing but dont get the warm fuzzies with penetration and winter coats, so I dont carry it part of the year.

JamisJockey
October 20, 2004, 10:44 AM
A small rubber ball fits into the nose of a hp bullet to prevent debris plugging

I thought the point was to assist feeding in a semi-automatic-handgun, since some HP's will get hung on the feed ramp.

ExtremeDooty
October 20, 2004, 10:56 AM
I thought the point was to assist feeding in a semi-automatic-handgun, since some HP's will get hung on the feed ramp.

That's true as well, according too the website. It's also supposed to help with uniform expansion. I'm just curious if anyone can confirm any of these claims.

grnzbra
October 20, 2004, 11:04 AM
A small rubber ball fits into the nose of a hp bullet to prevent debris plugging

Not in the EFMJ. The Cor-Bon Power Ball has a ball in the hollow point. The EFMJ is a flat point full metal jacket. Inside the jacket is the lead slug with a soft material ahead of it. The inside of the jacket is scored so that when it hits something the flat point pushes back against the spongy stuff and the jacket breaks out into a cross shape. In geletin, it expands within an inch or so.

I asked Ayoob if he knew anything about it. He said that it expanded very reliably, but didn't cause the tissue damage that a normally expanded hollow point does.

Mikul
October 20, 2004, 11:11 AM
The Corbon PowRBall is a light-for-caliber bullet. For 9mm, I believe they are 100gr. They expand reliably and their high velocity helps, but you need mass for penetration and these nifty new rounds don't have it.

ExtremeDooty
October 20, 2004, 11:56 AM
From the Federal Cartridge website:

Expanding Full Metal Jacket

No hollowpoint to fill and block expansion, thus very consistent expansion through barriers.
Internally skived jacket gives consistent, symmetrical expanded shape with
a large diameter.
Rubber front core functions works well under a wide range of operating
velocities and temperatures.
Works well in short barreled and standard barrel length handguns
Low flash propellant for low light tactical use.
Reliable feed and function in semi-auto and automatic weapon.
High velocity with low recoil for increases energy for effectiveness, yet reduces recoil for controllability - helps you stay on target when it counts the most.
Performance designed for personal defense use, so penetrations and expansions designed to work best in situations likely to be encountered in personal defense.
Clear, tamper-resistant box allows customers to see the ammunition without opening the box.

This is the kind of info I was hoping for:

The Corbon PowRBall is a light-for-caliber bullet. For 9mm, I believe they are 100gr. They expand reliably and their high velocity helps, but you need mass for penetration and these nifty new rounds don't have it.

I asked Ayoob if he knew anything about it. He said that it expanded very reliably, but didn't cause the tissue damage that a normally expanded hollow point does.

ExtremeDooty
October 21, 2004, 03:06 AM
Sounds like the consensus is don't worry about plugging going through heavy clothes and maybe go with a larger or heavier bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winter Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!