Kerry Hunting?

PDA

Battlespace
October 21, 2004, 11:20 AM
From USA Today. Pretty sad.

Kerry began his day Thursday by going goose hunting in Ohio, but his real target was the voters who may harbor doubts about him. He returned after a two-hour hunting trip wearing a camouflage jacket and carrying a 12-gauge shotgun, but someone else carried the bird he said he shot.

"I'm too lazy," Kerry joked. "I'm still giddy over the Red Sox. It was hard to focus."

The Massachusetts senator was referring to Boston's American League championship Wednesday night. He stayed up late cheering his hometown team onto victory, then got up for a 7 a.m. hunting trip at a supporter's produce farm.

Kerry adviser Mike McCurry said it's important in the final days of the campaign that voters "get a better sense of John Kerry, the guy."

While the Democrat campaigns as an all-American, his political opponents are working to leave voters with a different impression. Bush tells voters that Kerry is on the "left bank" of society, opposing a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Kerry does not support gay marriage but says the matter is for states to decide, and he favors civil unions for same-sex couples.

"We stand for marriage and family, which are the foundations of our society," Bush said Wednesday in Mason City, Iowa. "We stand for the Second Amendment, which protects every individual American's right to bear arms."

The National Rifle Association said it bought a full-page ad in Thursday's Youngstown newspaper that says Kerry is posing as a sportsman while opposing gun-owners' rights. Kerry has denied NRA claims that he wants to "take away" guns, but he supported the ban on assault-type weapons and requiring background checks at gun shows

"If John Kerry thinks the Second Amendment is about photo ops, he's Daffy," says the ad the NRA said would run in The Vindicator. It features a large photo of Kerry with his finger on a shotgun trigger but looking in another direction.

Meanwhile, labor unions have been circulating fliers among workers that say Kerry won't take away guns. "He likes his own gun too much," says one of the fliers from the Building Trades Department of the AFL-CIO that features a picture of Kerry aiming a shotgun.

Later Thursday, Christopher Reeve's widow, Dana, plans to join Kerry in Columbus, Ohio for a campaign speech about the importance of science, research and innovation.

Reeve supports Kerry's intention to expand federally funded embryonic stem cell research. The campaign said she approached the Massachusetts senator about making what probably will be her only campaign appearance.

Christopher Reeve became an advocate of spinal cord research, including looser restrictions on stem cell research, after a horse riding accident that left him a quadriplegic for the last nine years of his life.

Kerry knew the "Superman" actor for about 15 years through family and activist connections. Reeve left him a long telephone message the day before he died, thanking him for campaigning on behalf of medical research.

His death has since reverberated on the campaign trail, as Kerry battles President Bush over the ethics of stem cell research using embryos destroyed for research. Bush restricted federally funded research to lines already existing before his 2001 executive order, a decision criticized by some scientists and research advocates.

Yesterday, Bush and Kerry accused each other of misjudging the stakes and lacking the leadership to deal with Iraq and terrorism as they campaigned 60 miles apart Wednesday in Iowa, a state Bush narrowly lost four years ago.

"The next commander in chief must lead us to victory in this war and you cannot win a war when you don't believe you're fighting one," Bush said in Mason City, a northern Iowa farming community. "My opponent also misunderstands our battle against insurgents and terrorists in Iraq, calling Iraq a 'a diversion from the war on terrorism.'"

Kerry, campaigning in Waterloo, said Bush failed to grasp what the United States faces in Iraq, where more than 1,100 U.S. soldiers have been killed. "If President Bush cannot recognize the problems in Iraq, he will not fix them. I do recognize them and I will fix them."

With time running out before the Nov. 2 election, national polls say the race is very close, with some showing a slight advantage for Bush. Polls in key swing states like Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin also show the two candidates running about even.

Iraq and terrorism dominated the debate Wednesday as Bush focused on Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin — all states that went against him four years ago and where polls show him in a close race with his Democratic rival.

After Iowa, Kerry held a rally in Pittsburgh with supporters, including singer Jon Bon Jovi, actor Ted Danson and Hall of Fame football player Franco Harris, before retiring to Ohio for the night. Four years ago, Bush lost Pennsylvania and won Ohio; this year the race is tight in both states.

"The president says he's a leader. Well, Mr. President, look behind you, there's hardly anyone there," Kerry said, pointing out considerable allied opposition to the war. "It's not leadership if we haven't built the strongest alliance possible and if America is going almost alone."

Bush, trying to depict his opponent as lacking the credentials to be commander in chief, said Kerry was guilty of "a fundamental misunderstanding of the war we face and that is very dangerous thinking."

He said the threat posed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian terrorist who has pledged allegiance to Osama bin Laden and is believed behind beheadings in Iraq, "shows how wrong" Kerry's thinking is.

"If Zarqawi and his associates were not busy fighting American forces, does Senator Kerry think he would be leading a productive and useful life?" Bush asked. "Of course not. And that is why Iraq is no diversion."

While Kerry and Bush traded charges, there was a moment of embarrassment — and an apology — from the senator's wife over her remarks about first lady Laura Bush.

Teresa Heinz Kerry, in an interview published by USA TODAY, had said she didn't know if Laura Bush had ever had "a real job." She apologized for having forgotten about the first lady's 10-year stint as a schoolteacher and librarian.
:fire: :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Kerry Hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kentucky bucky
October 21, 2004, 02:14 PM
The only true thing he said was that he is "giddy" and "lazy"! I guess I'm going to have to hire someone to go in the field with me to carry my game for me.

If he shot that goose I'll eat my hunting cap!:mad:

Stebalo
October 21, 2004, 02:41 PM
but someone else carried the bird he said he shot

Doing so after all would be below his station.

Rebar
October 21, 2004, 03:04 PM
The two dozen of so reporters who were there said they heard no shots. It's quite possible that the birds were put there beforehand, so as to not ruin the photo op or to keep Kerry from missing any appointments.

rbrowning
October 21, 2004, 03:11 PM
When does season open? Where do I buy a tag? Oh, please let it be true!:D

Nazirite
October 21, 2004, 03:15 PM
The only thing Kerry hunts effectively is rich women.

Some days I could sit out on the porch at my apartment and shoot geese all day long. :evil:

Roon
October 21, 2004, 04:43 PM
http://www.albaedit.com/TFL/Kerry%20Hunting.jpg

I just get the shakes! :fire:

Sam Adams
October 21, 2004, 05:16 PM
“I’m still giddy over the Red Sox. It was hard to focus.”

1. He can't focus because he's giddy over a freaking GAME, and he wants to be President!?

2. He can't focus because he's giddy over a freaking GAME, and he goes out with a loaded gun!? Great judgment, don't you think?

3. What kind of a man describes himself as "giddy?"

If this f'ing guy wins, I'm leaving the planet.

fedlaw
October 21, 2004, 06:02 PM
Pic's of Kerry getting goosed:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?ei=ISO-8859-1&c=news_photos&p=kerry+goose

pinblaster
October 21, 2004, 06:15 PM
Note the double barreled shotgun . Not a pump , not an auto , think about it . :scrutiny:

Bigjake
October 21, 2004, 06:26 PM
because, using anything less than a superposed browning O/U would also be considered below his station...

pinblaster
October 21, 2004, 06:40 PM
Big Jake , I wasn't thinking along those lines , although you do make a point . I was trying to infer that , a double barreled shotgun might be the only kind of gun John Kerry thinks you need to have , no pumps , no autos . They could be used as dangerous "assualt weapons" , maybe .

RangerHAAF
October 21, 2004, 06:42 PM
I can't quite put my finger on it but something just seems kind of odd about him hunting a goose today. If I were in his position, I would be waiting until after the campaign was over, win or lose. Also, I've heard that none of the attendant reporters heard any shots being fired. I know he's busy but who goes hunting for just 2 hours?

The situation kind of reminds me of a scene in an Eddie Murphy movie called the Distinguished Gentleman, where a con man is elected to Congress and is taken on a duck hunt with an AR-15. The NRA can have a field day with this if they do it right.

Bigjake
October 21, 2004, 06:42 PM
;) Gotcha

I was just harping on the fact that the guy doesn't have any conception of what we "peons" use out in the real world. but it works on both levels :cool:

Monkeyleg
October 21, 2004, 06:47 PM
I was on the road all day today, and listening to the radio.

The soundbites from Kerry were unbelievable! I haven't been able to find them yet on the net, but he was talking about how hunting is all about shooting the breeze with your buddies, the bonds, kicking back and relaxing...you'd have to hear it to believe he was actually saying these things. Coming from his mouth, they sounded so disengenuous that I nearly popped my cookies.

But there are a lot of hunters out there who won't hear the fakery in his voice, and they'll vote for him.

Jim Doyle, Wisconsin's current governor, had a twelve-year record of wanting to ban every gun he could while attorney general. In his run for the governor's office in 2002, he sent out flyers to every union member with photos of him wearing hunting garb and holding a shotgun, talking about how much he respects "hunters and sportsmen."

They believed it, and voted the lying anti-gunner into office.

pinblaster
October 21, 2004, 06:56 PM
Kerry is such an obvious phony , he makes me :barf:

pinblaster
October 21, 2004, 07:21 PM
:D I wonder if he's going to put ketchup on that goose when he eats it . :neener: (I couldn't stop myself)

Sam Adams
October 21, 2004, 07:30 PM
Testimony of John F. Kerry, Mighty Hunter of Geese, before the Congressional Committee on Hunting Crimes:

"They told the stories at times they had personally shot, wrung necks, cut off heads, placed ducks in ovens and turned up the heat, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at hippies, razed ponds in fashion reminiscent of Elmer Fudd, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned rodents, and generally ravaged the countryside of Ohio in addition to the normal ravage of hunting, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied hunting power of this country."

John Kerry, Autumn Hunter Hearings

joebogey
October 21, 2004, 09:34 PM
My question would be,"what happened to the goose? Did it get eaten or thrown away after the media left?"

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 21, 2004, 10:49 PM
I'd like to know what role the Lab played in the Great Kerry Goose Hunt. It'd be funny watching it try to retrieve a giant Canada goose.

- pdmoderator

El Rojo
October 22, 2004, 12:35 AM
Duck's Unlimited Denies Ties to Kerry. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107345)

Kingcreek
October 22, 2004, 02:03 AM
I'd like to know what role the Lab played in the Great Kerry Goose Hunt. It'd be funny watching it try to retrieve a giant Canada goose.
I don't want to take this thread in a different direction but geez, my 65# female black lab has retrieved quite a few and they aren't any smaller here than in Ohio.

cracked butt
October 22, 2004, 04:43 AM
It'd be funny watching it try to retrieve a giant Canada goose.
I've actually taken a springer spanial goose hunting a few times, it was strong enough to at least drag a 15lb goose back. Labs- no problem.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
October 22, 2004, 06:30 AM
Kerry is no hunter, the whole thing was a fraud, like everything associated with that pathological liar.

Nathaniel Firethorn
October 22, 2004, 06:50 AM
OK, I stand corrected. I'm no hunter and I admit it.

- pdmoderator

John Hicks
October 22, 2004, 09:08 AM
I think the real takeaway from this is: we must remind our Labor Union / Liberal-leaning farmers (who hunt and respect gun rights) that this is not about hunting.

Kerry has tipped his hand. He might not be a total gun-grabber, but his attitude towards guns shows the politics of "need". See he thinks you only "need" a double-barrel shotgun, since you only "need" a gun to go hunting. This, of course, goes against all civil liberties.

He's hoping to hide behind that camoflague and defuse the issue.

We need to spread the word (especially if you live in Ohio, PA, Michigan, Wisconsin, or MN -- I've given up on Illinois) -- 1) it's not about hunting, 2) it is about the future of the 2A.

If we sit back and let the liberals make this issue about hunting and separating guns into hunting guns and crime guns -- we will lose. Kerry has just shown that this is his plan. Spread the word.

jh

If you enjoyed reading about "Kerry Hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!