SP101 too heavy as ccw?

PDA

twoblink
October 22, 2004, 05:33 AM
I wanted to hear from those who carry a SP101 as your ccw.. Do you find it a bit heavy, or not?

What kind of holster are you using? Do you swap out in the summer/winter?

If you enjoyed reading about "SP101 too heavy as ccw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rob96
October 22, 2004, 05:52 AM
I carry a Gov't Model at 40+ oz. when loaded, the SP-101 is a light weight when I do carry it. I carry mine in a IWB holster from Don Hume.

Billy Sparks
October 22, 2004, 07:21 AM
I carried a SP101 as CCW for a long time. The only reason I moved to a
S&W 642 was the concealed hammer on the 642 made it easier when I pocket carried it. Yes I carried a SP101 front pocket many a time, with good pair of pants with roomy pockets it worked out fine.

Oh I carried the SP101 in a Krammer pocket holster or a Milt Sparks OWB.

Diamondback
October 22, 2004, 11:47 AM
I feel too weighted down with the SP101 in my pants pocket so I either carry OWB with a cover garment or in a small fanny pack from Anderson Enterprises. I think the little Ruger is a terrific five shot revolver and recommend it highly.

-regards

TonyB
October 22, 2004, 12:06 PM
I carry the SP in a Desantis thumb break holster,stong side.At first it seemed heavy,but I got used to it quickly.A good belt and holster make a HUGE difference.Pocket carry is OK in a jacket,but in the pants would be a bit heavy.I like the SP because of it's shootability.....I think you need to practice with your CCW a lot,and a lot of the snubbies out there just plain hurt to shoot.
Give the SP a chance.....it has grown on a lot of us....plus they last forever:cool:

triggertime
October 22, 2004, 02:47 PM
I used to carry a DAO SP101 in .357 as a BUG on the left
side loaded with 145gr. Winchester Silvertips in either
a lefthanded Galco Speedmaster belt holster or in a
Desantis Nemisis pocket holster.

Heavy? I didn't even notice it after about a week. Weight
is a subjective thing, I guess.

Ringer
October 22, 2004, 11:16 PM
I have been carrying mine pretty steady for about 6 months or so. For me it's not heavy at all unless in the pocket. I have pocket carried it a time or two but really find it too big for that. I carry in a Galco Concealable OWB holster. I hardly notice it except sometimes in the car it presses against me because it rides kind of high and I wear it around 4 O'clock, but I like the highride.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=902519

V-fib
October 23, 2004, 03:35 AM
Nope. I carry my 3” SP in a smartcarry holster. Hardly know it’s there. The SP101 is an excellent choice for CC. :cool:

who me
October 23, 2004, 03:37 AM
When I carry my 3" SP101 it rides in a Versa Max 2 by Milt Sparks. Very nice holster.

popbang
October 23, 2004, 11:18 AM
I think if you are going to carry in a holster on the belt the SP-101 is a fine choice for a smaller framed gun. Its weight is distributed nicely, but in the pocket it sits heavy.

Of course my normal carry gun weighs in a t 38 ounces unloaded, and I don't mind it one bit.

carpettbaggerr
October 23, 2004, 07:38 PM
I carry a 4 inch 686 year-round. Usually in a shoulder holster [I drive a lot]. I don't find it to be too heavy. You may be different, however.

Doug Add
October 24, 2004, 01:59 PM
I alternate carry between a SIG P228 in a Texas Heritate (http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/teheiwb.html) by William Tucker, and an SP101 in a 4100 (http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/hm_4100.htm) by Kirkpatrick Leather.

The SP101 is barely noticeable to me when I carry. The combination of a good gun belt and a holster that holds the gun high and tight make concealing the Ruger quite easy. In my experience it is not too heavy at all.

Erich
October 24, 2004, 03:05 PM
My short-barreled SP-101 was too heavy as a pocket pistol for me. A 3 1/16"-er in a SmartCarry would be wonderful, though.

Billy Sparks
October 24, 2004, 05:56 PM
As a matter of fact I wore my SP101 in a Milt Sparks OWB on a Pre Christmas shopping. Wore it too Barnes and Noble's, Best Buy and lunch at Jason's Deli. Never really noticed it on my side.

BlkHawk73
October 24, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm a small guy but carry mine comfortably in a Mitch Rosen "Workman". Not too heavy at all.

wheelgunner100
October 24, 2004, 10:35 PM
I have carried a 2-1/4" DAO SP-101 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster for years. Not a problem for me.

Marshall
October 24, 2004, 10:59 PM
In a proper belt holster, the Rugers are just fine! Matter of fact, they would be a great CCW for belt carry. Pocket carry though, you better have some stout pockets to carry a loaded SP-101. My Model-60, all steel S&W weighing 22.5oz unloaded is all I would want in a pocket carry revolver. The SP-101 adds 3 full ounces more, doesn't sound like a lot but it does make more of a difference than you would think.

foehammer
October 24, 2004, 11:01 PM
I carry mine just behind my right hip in a Milt Rosen ARG. I hardly notice the weight as it's well distributed. Also it's very concealable beneath even a light jacket as it fits inside the waist behind a belt However, as concealable as it is it is very handy on the draw. My SP is DAO - no hammer spur to impede rapid acquisition under stress.

If you enjoyed reading about "SP101 too heavy as ccw?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!