Why do S&W revolvers have an undercut on the trigger?

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 22, 2004, 05:50 AM
If a S&W revolver is shot with a knit mitten or glove, often the material would work itself under the trigger and prevernt it from returning forward. Tauruas or Rossi revolvers do not. Why does this feature exist on a Smith and can it be smoothed out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do S&W revolvers have an undercut on the trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesBear
October 22, 2004, 09:21 AM
That cut is there to clear the bottom the cylinder locking bolt.
The tip of the trigger pulls the bolt down to unlock the cylinder.

The portion that is visable inside the trigger guard can indeed pinch some people with large fingers and catch on gloved hands.

A slight radius applied to that sharp edge will do nothing to affect the operation of the revolver. I have done this modification many times. It's a very easy mod.

Depending upon era of manufacture some S&W triggers have a very square/sharp edge and others will have a more rounded profile.

What model do you have and what style trigger? I believe I have some large* S&W triggers in my parts box at home that have the rounded edge.

(Large triggers fit K, L, & N frames. I & J frames use small triggers.)

Oleg Volk
October 22, 2004, 02:40 PM
SW686-3

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do S&W revolvers have an undercut on the trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!