Clinton eyes UN post

PDA

RealGun
October 22, 2004, 07:46 AM
UPI story today (http://tinyurl.com/4cgrn)

An opening for Secretary-General in 2006 should coordinate nicely with the next gun ban, not to mention Hillary's next move.

If you enjoyed reading about "Clinton eyes UN post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
charby
October 22, 2004, 11:36 AM
Be afraid, very afraid. Kerry as POTUS and Klinton as Secretary General. I think shortly after numerous treaties are signed within the UN, Dan Rather will report with a smile "Mr and Mrs America, turn over your firearms to the local authorites"

John Hicks
October 22, 2004, 12:54 PM
The UN charter forbids the Secretary General from being a citizen of the five permanent Veto countries (US, China, USSR, France, England)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/un/life/job.html

So we have nothing to worry about. As usual, a reporter did not check their facts.

jh

Lone_Gunman
October 22, 2004, 03:38 PM
John Hicks, thank you so much for that post!

Several threads on several message forums have discussed how the end of the world will come if Clinton was to become Sec General of the UN... and now to find out that all the hand-wringers and worry warts out there just didnt know the facts is just priceless.

:D

feedthehogs
October 22, 2004, 04:00 PM
As the charter reads now it forbids Clinton from being SG.
But the charter could be amended by the member nations.

History has shown us nothing is written in stone.

buzz_knox
October 22, 2004, 04:18 PM
Where in the Charter is the prohibition provided? It isn't in the section establishing the position of Secretary General, at least not on the version I found.

BigG
October 22, 2004, 05:09 PM
I believe numbnuts, um former presidunt Clinton, would not qualify due to the reason cited by John Hicks.

Standing Wolf
October 22, 2004, 05:14 PM
Fine. Send the United Nations to Zimbabwe, and Snopes Clinton with it.

Waitone
October 22, 2004, 05:52 PM
Excuse me, but makes you think Clinton would be limited by UN rules particularly since the godfather of the UN is a big bud of Clinton. If Clinton wants the job and Soros agrees, Clinton will get the gig regardless of the rules.

Cosmoline
October 22, 2004, 05:58 PM
They'll change that law in seconds if Clinton offers his services. This isn't the US Constitution we're talking about.

Shooter973
October 22, 2004, 07:25 PM
Clinton as head of the UN? Never happen !!!!! If Bush is re-elcted he will not put his name up for the post - Bush doesn't like Clinton any more than we do. If Kerry is elected He won't put him up for the job either!!! Clinton would over shadow Kerry and Kerry wouldn't stand for that! :banghead: :cuss: :fire: :D The President(as leader of our Nation) is the one that has to put forward the nomination for this position. So either way Clinton will never be "King of the World". :D :D :D

Ironbarr
October 22, 2004, 08:25 PM
Just listening to talking heads ginning up Clinton's UN dream... they said there are a lot of voters who'd go for Kerry if they thought Clinton would do the UN thing.

King John and Emperor Bill - And I suppose the junior senator from New York would serve as ............. Secretary of State.

Oh what a beautiful morning.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

LAK
October 23, 2004, 06:53 PM
So now we can look forward to an oil for interns scheme.

Ironbarr
October 23, 2004, 08:38 PM
Good shot:cool:

Bob Locke
October 23, 2004, 09:34 PM
I don't know what the rules are for amending the U.N. Charter, but it is also my understanding that the nations that have permanent seats on the Security Council (U.S., Britain, France, Russia, China) are ineligible when it comes to the General Secretary position.

But as was mentioned, that could likely be altered a lot more easily than our Constitution, and I am quite certain that Bubba would LOVE to be "King of the World".

Think about the available pool for "office help"...

sm
October 23, 2004, 09:51 PM
WJC needs his own private island. He is a figment of his own imaginiations . He has his faithful freaks, they deserve each other.

AR Resident whom witnessed and lived under the Atty Gen, Gov, WJC years...

If...IF WJC were to swing this UN post - does he get a special blue helmet?

So is now a good time to buy stock in Cigars, and Blue Dresses....or hold off a bit?

If you enjoyed reading about "Clinton eyes UN post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!