S&W trigger guard LESS revolver?

PDA

Nando Aqui
October 22, 2004, 10:45 AM
Help anyone?
What model S&W target revolver had no trigger guard?
I understand the trigger was protected by two trigger-like, but not functioning triggers. The real trigger would then protrude from between the two fake 'triggers' when cocked to shoot.
Thanks!
Alex

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W trigger guard LESS revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FPrice
October 22, 2004, 11:43 AM
It would have been one of the very first models, such as the Model One (I don't have my book with me nor am I that knowledgeable off the top of my head). But I can visualize what you are talking about. The little 5-shot .22 revolver (can't think of the brand name) that some people use as a hide-out gun has a similar set-up.

Vern Humphrey
October 22, 2004, 07:37 PM
That's called a spur trigger -- it was common on small guns in the 19th century. The S&W Model 1 and a couple of later models had a trigger like this.

Jim K
October 23, 2004, 07:57 PM
Many single shot pistols and single action revolvers used spur triggers, or "Mexican" triggers as they were also called. In addition to S&W, Remington, Colt, Sharps, Allen, Merwin & Bray, and Bacon were some of the makers. The last S&W to use a spur trigger was discontinued around 1911.

There were also Colt and S&W custom DA revolvers with trigger guards cut away at the front so the finger could be put directly on the trigger without having to take time to insert it into the guard.

Jim

MrMurphy
October 23, 2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah..... spur trigger. Common on early Colt and S&W and other small pocket revolvers. The S&W Model 1, the smaller Colts from the 1870s all used spur triggers.

BluesBear
October 25, 2004, 05:41 AM
The North American Mini Revolvers are a good modern day example of a spur trigger.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1313856
from the NAA website

As are the various over and under derringers patterned after the Remington.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W trigger guard LESS revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!