Any one use Remington UMC

PDA

115grfmj
October 22, 2004, 04:49 PM
I tried a box of this in .357 125gr. This is the dirtiest stuff I've ever used,
wasnt the cheapest either. After about 15 rounds it looked like I had dumped the piece, in a vat of tar and soot. At 25 rds my accuracy seriously
started to degrade ( went from 2 " at 15yds to 6" then to 10")
It litterally took me an hour to clean my 686 after only one box. I figured
that a well known american company would make better stuff, guess I
was wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any one use Remington UMC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
41mag
October 22, 2004, 04:56 PM
I've had the same expierience in both .38 Special & .44 Magnum.

You pull the trigger &-bang!-followed by an extra bonus cloud of[probably]toxic death dust.

[slow acting toxic death dust-I've not shot any for a while & I'm still here:D ]

Black Snowman
October 22, 2004, 06:04 PM
I gave up on UMC when I started reloading. Remington brass (at least what they use in UMC) is thinner than any other brand I've found but Amerc. I just don't trust it to reload so I haven't used any since about '96.

umc180gr
October 22, 2004, 11:03 PM
I cant figure out that UMC ammo either. I like to shoot the .44, ie my username because of the big blast and fireball. On the other hand I bought one box of 9mm UMC once. It caused my never jammed S&W 910 9mm to jam, it was so dirty. A strange powder mix used by remington I guess. I still recommend the .44. It has a notorious reputation for getting you noticed at the indoor firing range.

walking arsenal
October 22, 2004, 11:52 PM
Same here, works alright, but it's the dirtiest ammo ive ever shot. good stuff for testing reliability as it gets everything dirty as sin.:D

Steve in PA
October 23, 2004, 01:45 AM
We use UMC ammo alot, never had a problem. I have UMC brass in 9mm, and .45 that I've been reloading close to 10 years no problems with that either.

Blueduck
October 23, 2004, 03:16 AM
Used 38 and 357 as well. Great stuff, would have never been pushed into reloading without it ;)

RON in PA
October 23, 2004, 03:07 PM
Yes UMC shoots dirty, but not as dirty as my reloads using cast and lubed commercial bullets. Shot 100 rounds of UMC 38 special through my GP100 last week and there was no barrel leading. No problems with the brass either.

Blueduck
October 23, 2004, 03:43 PM
Ron,

May want to try Laser cast bullets and W231 which I've had very good luck with cleanliness wise. My gun looks better after 200 rounds of these loads than after 20 of UMC's stuff.

Supposedly VV powder even cleaner I've not messed with it though.

nitesite
October 23, 2004, 03:47 PM
Other than Speer Gold Dot 230s, UMC is the only ammo my Springer has seen since I bought it. No problems whatsoever and I don't consider it expecially dirty.

I was set to buy some WWB for general shooting, but my lovely wife went out and bought me several hundred more UMCs because she matched my box flap to the one at the store. That should delay things by a month or so.

Sure wish Winchester made a WinClean ball round.....

I'm trying to get some LaserCast and W231 loads made up if I can get a friend to take the time.

goon
October 23, 2004, 07:23 PM
I have shot quite a bit of it in 9mm, .357, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. It is dirty but I never had a malfunction because of it. I have also reloaded alot of it. Never a problem with that either.
I have shifted to Win white box for blasting and reloading and S&B for stashing. I only stopped with the UMC though because Win is cheaper and it works just as well in my guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any one use Remington UMC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!