Bug in Forum- Only 4 pages viewable???

PDA

Blain
February 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
How come this forum only displays 4 clickable pages on threads that are longer than 4 pages? For instance the WWII troops vs. our troops thread which is about 10 pages long now, only 4 of those ten pages are viewable to click too. If I wanted to go to page 6 or 7 I don't know how I would do that, seems like it would be a pain.

In TFL all the pages of a thread were visable so you could click on the page you wanted to access. Just curious why this forum isn't like that. Is it a bug or what? Hopefully it can be corrected as I think that would greatly improve the forum. Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bug in Forum- Only 4 pages viewable???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jjmorgan64
February 25, 2003, 02:21 PM
It only offers a few ahead of where you are, go to page 4 and it will offer pages 5 and 6, go to page 6, it wil offer 7 and 8, etc.

This is not a bug, just trying to conserve space on the screen.

Viking6
February 25, 2003, 02:48 PM
What may be "bug-like" is when you click on Last Page, it gives you that big old white page saying unavailable or words that effect. You then click the last numbered page and advance from there.

Correia
February 25, 2003, 03:06 PM
No idea, so I'm going to move this to the area where more technically minded Moderators live. :)

Mal H
February 25, 2003, 07:38 PM
Like jj said it is to conserve space. I agree it is a pain to have to jump in 3 or 4 page blocks to get to the page you want. But, most often, it is quicker to go to the end (haven't seen the error Viking6 reported) and page backwards from there since you have generally seen most of the pages from the beginning.

It worked the same way on TFL, I just checked. However, I found some cases where it would show 5 page numbers and then the "... last page".

I have created a new acronym for this and similar "bugs":
WeDoWTCoWOLI (We Don't Write The Code, We Only Lease It.)

[Edit]
On further investigation I found a parameter that controls how many page numbers are displayed once the thread is opened. I set that to display all pages. That should help.

Viking6
February 26, 2003, 09:06 AM
Mal H, this is what I got when I clicked the view Last Page icon on another posting with multiple pages. No sweaty-da, I know better for the future.
v/r Viking6

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

If you enjoyed reading about "Bug in Forum- Only 4 pages viewable???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!