Charter 2000 Bulldog .44 Special Load?

PDA

magsnubby
October 23, 2004, 01:55 AM
I picked it up yesterday and didn't have time to check out any ammo. Anybody know of a good factory defense load? How about a good target load?

I had one of the original Bulldogs back in the early 80's when there wasn't much in the way of good factory defense loads. I seem to remember recoil could get pretty stiff with the warmer stuff. Since i don't reload much these days i'll just stick to the factory stuff for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter 2000 Bulldog .44 Special Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edward429451
October 23, 2004, 02:39 AM
I got me ol Bulldog on as I type. One of the older 2-1/2" bull bbl models, no shroud.

Its been so long since I bought any factory ammo for it, it's funny. I distinctly remember having real good luck with those Remington 246g lead round nose bullets though, for target. I used Silvertips in it for defense back then but wonderfully cannot report how good they work for defense because I never had to use it for that. (Yeah!)

Nowadays I load for it and target/defense loads are the same. A 180g full wadcutter with 12.0 g of 2400 backed up with some Keith 245's in a single speedloader, also loaded mildish for longevity of the weapon.

Jim March
October 23, 2004, 05:58 AM
I'm not up on these much myself, but I came across a website where a guy seems to know a bit about these:

http://www.levergun.com/main_index.htm

magsnubby
October 23, 2004, 02:37 PM
Jim,
thanks for the website. Some really good info there.

Although i no longer have a reloading setup i do have access to a reloader. Looks like it's time to get back into reloading.

Edward429451
October 23, 2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah that is a good site. ANother thing is to take a punch and screwdriver with you to the range cause those pins & stuff will walk on you.

tulsamal
October 24, 2004, 11:24 AM
ProLoad has a Gold Dot load for .44 Special that looks good.

http://www.proload.com/shoppingcart/default.asp?show_cal=18

I personally carry the CorBon 165 grain JHP at 1150 fps. It's a handful but I have confidence in it. Getting hard to find though.

I tried Silvertips in a few of my guns. They were accurate but they are VERY light loads.

Federal also has a lead hollowpoint load but I recently visited a page where the guy did some testing and they just refused to open.

And there is a Blazer load lots of people like.

Gregg

Rexzila
October 26, 2004, 04:53 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Charter Bulldogs. I had one of the early 3 inch models. I fired Remington hollow points with it. I also had some semi-wadcutters I used for target practice. The Bulldogs were a real pain to shoot back then...literally. I remember the hammer cutting the web of my hand during recoil. My uncle a retired Police Chief still carries one in an ankle holster. I gave him speedloaders and .44 stuff years ago.
I am content to use a .38 Charter Undercover now.

BluesBear
October 26, 2004, 05:13 AM
I wish I still had my old Charter Arms Police Bulldog. Does anyone except me even remember these?
I had great success with the Sierra 18gr Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet loaded over 7.0gr of Unique. It worked well with the Police Bulldog's 4" barrel.
Nowadays I prefer the Hornady 180gr XTP over the same charge. It seems to expand better than the Sierra when fired from my 2" barrel Taurus.

I found that the lighter bullets didn't pound the pins out of the Charter Arms frames like the 240gr loads did.

magsnubby
October 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
I bought my first Bulldog (3" blued) in Feb. of 1980. I put a lot of rounds through that gun. Mostly light 246 gr swc's. It was a great little gun. I gave it to my dad when he retired in '85.

I remember the 4" Bulldogs. They had ajustiable sights and target drips. I saw one at a gun show last year. The guy was asking $300.00 for it. The bore looked good but the bluing was pretty worn and it was pretty scratched up. He was firm on the price but i wasn't willing to pay that much for a gun that was that beat up.

My buddy bought a 3" blued Bulldog yesterday for $250.00. It looks like it has never been shot.

obiwan1
October 27, 2004, 01:30 PM
I have both a 3" and a 4". The sights on the 4" are terrible. They are adjustable and will not hold zero. I needed to shove shims into the sides of the sight.

I think that the Win Silvertip load is probably the best all around load. However.................. I keep mine loaded wit Glaser Blues:D Remember the movie "Manhunter" with pre CSI William Peterson..........

cratz2
October 28, 2004, 11:02 AM
Didn't Speer come out with a modern Gold Dot load for 44 Special about the time they came out with their 135 Gr snubbie 38 load? Or did I just dream that?

As an aside, I was watching Manhunter a while back and didn't realize until then that Lecter was played by Brian Cox (of Rob Roy and Super Troopers fame :p )

He was really quite trim back in 85-86.

bpisler
October 29, 2004, 09:01 AM
I tried the federal swchp's,speer gold dot's and winchesters silver tips in a 3" S&W 24-3.At 15 yards the silvertips grouped into 6-7" and felt recoil was light.The federals were a little better group wise,down around 4-5" and recoil was a little stiffer.The gold dots were outstanding,groups fell to 2-3",recoil was brisk but not bad.I picked the gold dot for my carry load.All groups were shot D/A on a well lit indoor range.Of course your results may vary depending on your gun.

magsnubby
October 29, 2004, 08:10 PM
I finally got to take the Bulldog out today. I didn't have alot of time so i only ran 100 rounds through it.

First up was a box of light 246 gr swc reloads. Recoil wasn't bad. Groups were about 4" at 21 feet.

Next was a box of PMC 180 gr jhp's. Recoil was a little stiffer, about like a Airlite S&W J frame with +P's. Groups were about 4" at 21 feet.

I had forgotten what a neat gun it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Charter 2000 Bulldog .44 Special Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!