What to buy ?

PDA

tc300mag1
October 23, 2004, 01:57 PM
I know we all hate these threads but i know Squat about blackpowder And now Dad wants one..

So i need to use everyones expert opnions to help me.

IKnow he'll want one of the shotgun primer once but the one thing im looking for is what will be the most left hand friendly one? Also what will be a good quailty one?

I was looking at a Cva model early and a traditions but as ive said i know Squat about them

thanks in advance

Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "What to buy ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
October 23, 2004, 02:17 PM
If you must buy off the shelf, go with the Lyman Great Plains rifle. It's the closest there is to the guns carried during the Fur Trade Era. If he wants to play Civil War soldier, it's close to the Dimick Rifle intially carried by Birge's Western Sharpshooters (66th Illinois) or Brady Michigan Sharpshooters (a company attached to the 16th Michigan). It's also close to the J. P. Murray rifle pressed into service by the Confederates during the Atlanta Campaign (6 were captured by Sherman's men).

RCL
October 23, 2004, 03:43 PM
Just my opnion, FWIW........

If you "know he'll want one of the shotgun primer ones" (in other words a modern in-line), my suggestion would be either the Omega or Encore models from Thompson-Center Arms. American made and with a lifetime warranty, I think they are two of the best in-lines on the market today. Yes they are more money, but you pay for what you get. And, from what I have seen of these models, they can be shot by either a right or left hander. The Omega is strictly a muzzleloader, while the Encore can switch barrels and is available in centerfire rifle calibers. Good luck in choosing!

http://www.tcarms.com/

tc300mag1
October 23, 2004, 05:16 PM
He wants it for hunt for our black powder season so i know he wants a inline im going to get my self a barrel for my encore for the same reason thx for suggestions so far

Stickjockey
October 26, 2004, 01:19 AM
Check the hunting regs first. Many states have "primitive only' BP hunting seasons, so if he wants to go during BP season, it'll have to be sidelock, open sights.

RandolH
November 2, 2004, 12:56 AM
I had good luck with my CVA bobcat. 60 bucks at walmart. Best way to find out if blackpowder is for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "What to buy ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!