Kit building?

PDA

bud45
October 24, 2004, 11:52 PM
I just read where someone had an AMD 63 built from a kit on another board- I tried to search for 18 USC 925d on the web & only came up with an ad for the AMD 63 from a dealer! What, in this respect, was affected by the AWB sunset and can these kits now be built into functioning weapons by only dealers, or can an enthusiast do it now as well?

Thanks, just trying to get educated. Bud

If you enjoyed reading about "Kit building?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jon Coppenbarger
October 25, 2004, 03:58 PM
Its like building a fal.
You must watch the parts count with the correct amount of us made parts against the correct amount of foreign parts on your rifle.
On some kits like the amd's and krinks you MUST not build it with the original barrel length as they fall under the fire arms act of 1934 I believe.
What they do require is that you make the barrel length 16" by permenitly attaching a barrel extention of some sort to it ( several choices) or put in the paper work and pay the $200 tax for a short barrel rifle license with the atf before you build. A few folks are building pistols with them but! you need to remember NO stock and a few other items and the reciever had to be made as a pistol reciever oringinally so either way you can do things to build them. Kits, compliance parts, reciever and the know how to assemble it is what you need.

bud45
October 29, 2004, 10:49 PM
...what I see you're saying is that if I apply & pay $200, then I could buy the kit & the matching receiver & build it WITH APPROVAL of the ATF. Otherwise, I'd have to ditch some of the original parts in favor of U.S.-made parts to satisfy the other requirements.

Then, IF the weapon of choice had more than a 16" barrel, could I then buy the matching receiver and build it? Or would I still have to add the corresponding U.S.-made parts?

Thanks for the education! Bud

PMDW
October 30, 2004, 01:08 AM
would I still have to add the corresponding U.S.-made parts?

Yes.

bud45
November 2, 2004, 11:18 PM
...may still be an interesting project- just have to get the "list" & check for U.S. mfrs. of said parts. Then again, it may not be worth the $$$ and time, unless I treat it as an "educational project". Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kit building?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!