Wal-Mart anti-Kerry?

PDA

jefnvk
October 25, 2004, 01:16 AM
As I was walking into Wal-Mart this evening, something caught my eyes. There was a sign proclaiming 'Kerry will take your guns'. I was in a hurry, and didn't have time to read it, but there was a picture of Kerry with a Ponoochio (sp??) nose, and some other writing I assume to be his voting record or something of the sort.

Anyone else notice this? Is this a corporation thing, or just a manager decision? Seems odd to me, in an economical sense, that a major retailer would be putting signs on their doors against one canidate.

EDIT: I think I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow, or at least get everything it said in detail.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart anti-Kerry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crewchief
October 25, 2004, 01:27 AM
I would really like to see a pic of this because I have seen no such thing at our local Wal-Marts. That would be an incredible thing for a store to do or a store manager. I am not calling you a liar by anymeans but if this is true I am in complete shock.

cracked butt
October 25, 2004, 01:38 AM
I can't remember where I saw it, but Walmart as a corporation gives 100% of its political contributions to the GOP- and quite a big chunk of money it is.:cool:

Third_Rail
October 25, 2004, 01:41 AM
I've noticed this as well.... such as Wal-Mart carrying Bill Clinton's book, but labelling the shelves "My Life - BS" instead of just "My Life".

Kind of funny to see.

jefnvk
October 25, 2004, 11:49 AM
I went back to get a pic of it today, but someone had ripped it down :(

Really wish I had read it over the first time I had seen it. Oh well, guess I'll never completely know what it said now.

It just seemed really strange that a store would potentially turn away customers by placing political signs on its doors. If it were a local sporting goods store, it wouldn't have even caught my eye.

Marnoot
October 25, 2004, 12:01 PM
My guess is that it was placed there without permission by a customer or employee, and was taken down when discovered.

Mrs. Armoredman
October 25, 2004, 12:41 PM
I don't remember seeing a anti Kerry in our local Walmart. But I did see the Clinton book and I wanted to be sick.

They more than likely put it up without permission and it got taken down but if they are really anti Kerry I will shop there more often than I do now.

countertop
October 25, 2004, 02:00 PM
Wal Mart, though well into the trows of war with the trial lawyers, is far too savy of an organization to either put something like this up officially or give to only one party.

Regardless of what people might read elsewhere - every major corporation gives lots and lots and lots of money to both sides. You simply have to if you want to play the game.

flatrock
October 25, 2004, 02:15 PM
I suspect that it's not an official corporate statement.

Wal-Mart isn't likely to get directly involved in that way.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of support for Bush in the higher levels of Wal-Mart's management.

Kerry says he wants to raise the minimum wage. That means a jump in wages for most of Wal-Mart's employees, not just those making minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage just pushes up the scale for most people. The people who don't get immediate raises are salaried employees.

That will result in Wal-Mart having to raise prices just to remain profitable, and that won't make anyone happy.

Minimum wage earners will have more money, but they won't be able to buy more because prices will have to go up to cover the wage increases.

The goods that don't cost much more are the ones made outside the US. This means it becomes more profitable to buy goods made outside the US. It becomes more profitable to outsource jobs overseas. It becomes more profitable to hire illegal aliens that will work for less than mimimum wage.

The illegal aliens will also likely get paid more, and since inflation in Mexico won't likely rise as quickly as in the US in that case, there's even more reason for them to come to the US and send their earnings back to Mexico.

Black Snowman
October 25, 2004, 02:45 PM
Flatrock is correct. It's hard to make good come of mucking with the free market.

On a related note what's with all the vandalism to Bush signs? Destruction, theft, spray painting. Happens a lot. I don't go around setting fire to Kerry signs (as much as I'd like to). I don't really think vandels need to be determining the politics in the USA.

What really pisses me off is these people "know" that they are "right". :banghead:

jefnvk
October 25, 2004, 04:38 PM
I had figured as much. Someone slapped it up there while no one was watching, and when found out about, it was taken down.

And I hadn't heard about much vandalism to the Bush signs, the complaint up here is damage to Kerry signs. Then again, this place seems to not be exactly a Kerry stronghold. Bush signs in and on the college grounds outnumber Kerry stuff probably about 10:1. You;re hard pressed to find a Kerry bumpersticker outside of the Arts/Music parking lot.

greg700
October 25, 2004, 09:50 PM
Walmart has started to sell 'W' ketchup exclusively, and done away with Heinz.

R.H. Lee
October 25, 2004, 10:18 PM
If WalMart is anti-Kerry, I'll stop my anti WallyWorld rants and start spending money there again.

cracked butt
October 25, 2004, 10:40 PM
Oops, my bad. Walmart did not give 100% of its contributions to the GOP, but close.:cool:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-02-02-walmart_x.htm

voilsb
October 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
But flatrock, are you saying that raising minimum wage .... drives inflation up!?!?

But the Democrats want to HELP the economy!

Zach S
October 26, 2004, 07:58 AM
flatrock, I honestly dont know anyone that makes minimum wage, that isnt getting paid under the table anyway. I made more than that when I was 15 years old washing dishes at the Nu Wray Inn in a town that had four traffic lights, well, the town had one, the county had three more. Even gas stations around here pay six or seven bucks an hour.

cracked butt
October 26, 2004, 08:21 AM
The minimum wage is nothing but a populist scam. Raising the minimum wage doesn't change anyone's lives, but gives them a temporary boost in self esteem because the feel better that they are now making $6 an hr versus the $5 per hr before congress waved their magic wand and made life fantastic for them overnight. Liberals just don't understand that self esteem cannot be given to people, but it must be earned to be lasting and useful- just like money.

If you are making only minimum wage and aren't:
A. a high school student
or
B. someone new to the workforce with no skills or work history

you simply aren't trying very hard and definately don't deserve some state mandated minimum compensation that becomes a burden on everyone else.

Covey Rise
October 26, 2004, 11:22 AM
I work in Bentonville, AR where Wal-Mart Corporate HQ is at and I would say 95% of the WM employees here all vote Bush, the only Kerry voters are transplants from east and west coast, but they get converted once the truth is explained to them.

SteveS
October 26, 2004, 12:34 PM
Then again, this place seems to not be exactly a Kerry stronghold. Bush signs in and on the college grounds outnumber Kerry stuff probably about 10:1.

That is good, being that you live where I grew up. It isn't that surprising, in that MTU is an engineering school that isn't as left leaning as most universities.

Akurat
October 26, 2004, 04:16 PM
Very well might be right.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041026/datu050_1.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart anti-Kerry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!