Vermont and suppressors...

PDA

Third_Rail
October 25, 2004, 01:58 AM
:cuss:

I love the prospects of moving to VT... quiet living, cheap (relative, I know) land, good firearms laws...

And then I come to find out that suppressors are illegal there.

In the land of almost zero firearms laws, I just have to ask... what the heck?!

If you enjoyed reading about "Vermont and suppressors..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyme
October 25, 2004, 02:24 AM
Yeah, it's weird. I'm curious about what the history behind that is, but it was probably caused by the same irrational fear of silencers that led to their inclusion in the NFA.

Third_Rail
October 25, 2004, 02:27 AM
Well, who knows... I hope to see suppressors legal for anyone to purchase without paperwork some day in the next 10 years. I mean, they aren't dangerous, and they actually prevent hearing damage if you use the correct ammunition. What's not to like?

FeebMaster
October 25, 2004, 02:49 AM
Third_Rail: I hope to see suppressors legal for anyone to purchase without paperwork some day in the next 10 years.

I'm sure Bush will get right on that once he's reelected.

tyme
October 25, 2004, 06:56 AM
Yep. He'll also immediately revoke his daddy's import ban, and clinton's add-on to it.
:rolleyes:

Zach S
October 25, 2004, 08:43 AM
While I dont see supressors selling with no paperwork, it would be nice to buy one over the counter with a yellow form.

RavenVT100
October 25, 2004, 10:12 AM
The fear of suppressors stems from the hollywood/video game idea that they actually cause a gunshot to be inaudible or undetectable. The general public is largely ignorant of what a suppressor actually accomplishes. I could pick 50 people out of a crowd and I would bet you good money that not a single one of them would know what a suppressed gunshot sounds like.

A gunshot is one of the loudest sounds, decibel-wise, that a human being will hear in his or her lifetime. A suppressed gunshot, while being slightly quieter, is still very, very loud.

jefnvk
October 25, 2004, 11:08 AM
Not necessairialy. I've shot a silenced P22, and the bullet hitting the metal backstop made more of a noise then the actualy shot did. Of course, a 22 is on the low end of the noise scale, but there was almost a non-existance sound to the shot.

Aaron C
October 25, 2004, 05:07 PM
Welcome to Vermont third rail! What brings you?

GigaBuist
October 25, 2004, 06:47 PM
Not necessairialy. I've shot a silenced P22, and the bullet hitting the metal backstop made more of a noise then the actualy shot did. Of course, a 22 is on the low end of the noise scale, but there was almost a non-existance sound to the shot.

From what I gather, that's about the only thing you're going to make nearly silent. Somebody else comemnted not to long ago that a supressed 9mm sounds like a regular .22LR handgun, and a supressed .223 sounds like an unsupressed 9mm.

Third_Rail
October 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
Aaron C., not there yet but gearing up to go in the next two years (at most).

Peaceful living away from Boston is what's driving me, I suppose.

I understand that most people don't understand suppressors or how they're beneficial, but why haven't we tried putting a positive spin on things?? Less noise pollution from ranges for nearby dwellings, for example...

gezzer
October 25, 2004, 09:41 PM
Vermont Fish and Game law. They think it stops poaching.

You need to move a little right of Vermont to NH, AOW's, silencers, SBR's, SBS's, Machine guns all friendly state.

Third_Rail
October 25, 2004, 09:44 PM
No thanks, I've seen some of the other laws there.

I'd rather sacrifice ever getting to use a suppressor to live to my liking more than I could in NH.

Aaron C
October 31, 2004, 09:53 PM
Third Rail, Im also a Boston transplant, been here since February! You wont regret it for a second.

Third_Rail
October 31, 2004, 10:17 PM
Great! How's the New Haven area?

Dirty Bob
November 1, 2004, 09:58 AM
Almost 20 years ago, I first tried Long CB Caps in a .22LR semiauto (Mossberg) with a 24" barrel. The sound of the bullet hitting the backstop was louder than the muzzle report. I had to hand-cycle the action with each shot, but the length of the Long CB Caps lets them cycle in many .22LR actions. By the way, in another rifle with a 22" barrel, it was a *lot* louder.

Even those in benighted states without legal suppressors can enjoy *some* quiet shooting, in long-barreled .22 rifles.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Third_Rail
November 1, 2004, 10:27 AM
Already happening. I've discovered the wonder of Aguila super Colibris.

Nice and quiet, but may get stuck in some barrels.

Third_Rail
January 19, 2005, 11:04 AM
Bumping this...

I'm still annoyed at VT about suppressors, though I'm not there yet. Are there really no legal ways around having suppressors in VT?

Devonai
January 19, 2005, 11:24 AM
What "other" NH laws do you have a problem with?

Third_Rail
January 19, 2005, 01:39 PM
Not laws, I guess... people from MA! :D

mrsMTN
January 19, 2005, 03:45 PM
Gezzer is correct; it is a Fish & Game law. Other than that, there's not much in the way of any restrictions -- certainly no permits or registrations.
New Haven is a very nice area. We're in the next town south, maybe 5 miles.
Cheap living is debatable. Fuel and utilities are very high, groceries are also high. I'm sure there are some bargains compared to the Boston area, but I'm not sure what they would be. Real estate has jumped. Property taxes are through the roof. Research this first, if you can.

Devonai
January 19, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hey, I lived in MA for nine years! What'choo talkin' bout Willis? :scrutiny: :D

You could always move to Orfordville, NH. You won't run into any liberal-keepin' MA immigrants up there, and you're right across the river from Fairlee, VT and Rt. 91. Then you can get your class 2 stuff.

Third_Rail
January 19, 2005, 06:51 PM
Is NH really that friendly 2A wise?

gezzer
January 19, 2005, 09:34 PM
Sure is, open carry legal, shall issue concealed, NFA sign offs no problem. The only state with the right to overthrow a tyrannical govt. stated in the state constitution is NH.

Randy in Arizona
January 19, 2005, 10:04 PM
I had an excellent opportunity to test this out about 10 years ago.

The suppressor:

An AWC custom low maintenance integral suppressor built on a Belgium Browning Challenger. At the time it was made, The manufacturer, AWC was the sole property and creation of Doctor Phil Dater. No connection at that time to AWC in Texas or Arizona. Incidentally this was NOT as quiet as his mainline RST suppressor of that era, and nowhere near as quiet as his current Gemtech offerings.

The environment:

A church campout, late in the afternoon, very low ambient noise level from about a dozen men chatting around the campfire.

The test:

I wandered off about 30 feet from the campfire and shot 5 rounds into the dirt away from the group.
I walked back to the group and asked 3 of the men (fellow firearm enthusiasts) if they had heard any shots.
None of them had. The four of us walked back to the area that I had fired the first 5 shots and fired five more. We all returned to the campfire and asked if any one had heard anything. No one had heard anything over the conversations going on.

Point of this ramble:

Some suppressors are more than quiet enough to worry a politician that has screwed his constituents.
Some of them are even quiet enough to please a Hollywood film director.

Gun control ain’t about guns, it is about control! :uhoh:

RAZ

Third_Rail
January 20, 2005, 01:01 AM
Arizona! That's where we can go!

How is the job market out there, cost of living, etc?

If you enjoyed reading about "Vermont and suppressors..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!