Purchasing rifle barrels < 16"

PDA

Mizzoutiger
October 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
Sorry! The search function fails me. So, I hope this will get a quick answer.

If I want to purchase a rifle in the state of Missouri with a barrel shorter than 16", do I need a class III license? Or do I apply for a concealable weapon purchase permit as I would with buying a pistol?

I've got a 16" CAR-15 now that I would like to convert into an M4gery of some sort. But I don't know how to go about procuring a 14.5" barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Purchasing rifle barrels < 16"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wasrjoe
October 26, 2004, 05:30 PM
You have to get a tax stamp for a SBR (short barreled rifle). 200 bucks.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16371.html

More info there.

Jeff White
October 26, 2004, 05:32 PM
You have a couple options. You could by a 14.5 inch barrel with a permantly attached flash hider that would bring the overall length to 16 inches and just instll it on your M4gery. This would be the simplest solution. No paperwork at all. A standard birdcage isn't quite long enough to bring OAL to 16.1 inches, but the vortex is and there are a couple companies making extended birdcage flash hiders for just this application.

Your other option is to get the proper ATF paperwork to build a short barrelled rifle, jump through all the hoops (photo, fingerprinting, chief LEO sign off) pay the $200.00 tax and wait for the approval to come back then put any length barrel you wanted on it.

Jeff

Mizzoutiger
October 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks very much guys! That's what I needed!

Zundfolge
October 26, 2004, 07:30 PM
I would recommend you get a lower registered as an SBR before you buy the 14" upper because sometimes the ATF decides that you've violated the law if you own both a regular AR lower and the SBR upper even though they are not put together as one firearm.

Warbow
October 26, 2004, 07:56 PM
Make sure you check your state laws. It looks like MO requires that you have a C&R FFL before you can own NFA items...

PromptCritical
October 26, 2004, 09:34 PM
Well, technically, anyone can buy a short barrel as it is only a metal tube. However, the advice above should be followed.

Ooh, here's a scenario to ponder: suppose I own two AR's. One is registered as an SBR. Further suppose I owned two <16" uppers for the SBR. Boy, it could get ugly.

Warbow
October 26, 2004, 10:23 PM
PromptCritical wrote:

Ooh, here's a scenario to ponder: suppose I own two AR's. One is registered as an SBR. Further suppose I owned two <16" uppers for the SBR. Boy, it could get ugly.

Good question. I was also wondering about that and the results I found are conflicting.

Here's (http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/atf_letter90.txt) a letter from '00 which states that would be illegal.

But, here's (http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=630601935&m=95710225&r=50510135#50510135) one from '03 which seems to indicate that would be legal.

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Purchasing rifle barrels < 16"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!