Need your help: soft, full lips (er) grips for 6" 686 ???


October 28, 2004, 06:16 AM
I have owned a beautiful 6" square butt 686 for many years but I never shoot it because I hate the feel in the hand with the grips I have with it. It came with the old style wood grips S&W has used for decades... not a great choice. Then I put on Pachmayr Professional Grips which are very lean, hard, exposed backstrap. I don't like how they feel at all... no cushioning really and not very hand-filling.

I do have a set of Pachmayr Compac grips on my 2.5" round butt 66 and I love the soft, hand-filling feel of those grips, but they are not made for the square butt L framed 686.

I've felt the new Hogue finger groove grips that come stock with the new S&W's, but I'm not crazy about the feel of those either. Not as soft or hand filling as the Pachmayr Compac round butt grips.

So... any suggestions before I decide to just sell this beautiful revolver?

Pachmayr Presentation? Decelerator? Something else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need your help: soft, full lips (er) grips for 6" 686 ???" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Old Fuff
October 28, 2004, 09:18 AM
In your quest remember that grips made for the K-frame also fit your gun. Many companies that list grips for the K/square butt don't list grips for the L-frame.

As a last resort, your square butt frame can be converted to a round butt (which is what S&W does now). Then you could use the same grips that are on your 2 1/2/model 66 that you like so well.

October 28, 2004, 09:25 AM
You should definitely try the Pachmayr Presentations. They are firm rubber, but have a covering over the backstrap and distribute recoil very effectively. Unless your hands are very small, they make for a great pointing and comfortable shooting gun.

October 28, 2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys... excellent info.

Old Fuff... do I understand you to say that the standard butt shape on all the new 686's is the round butt?

October 28, 2004, 02:59 PM
I can't speak for OF, but I will: yes. S&W is making all their guns with round butts now, and has for some years. Something like the early 80's, I think?

October 28, 2004, 03:19 PM
Well... I think I need to get my butt rounded! Best to send to S&W for that or who would do the best job at that?

Old Fuff
October 28, 2004, 04:42 PM
Smith & Wesson can do the job of course, but it's not hard to do yourself - especially on a stainless gun. You need to beg or borrow (buy as a last resort) a pair of regular S&W K or L frame R.B. grips. Beat-up used ones will do. Put them on your gun and then scribe a line around the outside of them. Rough off metal using a bench grinder, and then do the finishing work with a mill file and then 320 grit abrasive cloth or paper wrapped around your file. You may have to have a gunsmith slightly deepen the hole for the mainspring strain screw, but since it will be covered by the grip having it stick out a little bit won't matter.

October 31, 2004, 02:52 AM
Old Fuff... thanks for the help... I'm going to do that... I can't wait to put the Pachmayr Compac grips on the 6" 686... I will enjoy shooting the gun so much more that way. :cool:

Old Fuff
October 31, 2004, 08:06 AM
Great! I'm glad we found a workable solution. That's part of what The High Road's for.

Keep in mind that since the latter 1980's all K and L frame revolvers have round butts. Same can be said about N-frames, although the butt is slightly larger. This knowledge could effect future purchases.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need your help: soft, full lips (er) grips for 6" 686 ???" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!